Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Help! Road Trip soon.

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Help! Road Trip soon. « Previous Next »

Brandy
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone
I will be going out of town this weekend. I will be visiting places like Trader Joe's along the way. Can any hypersensitive people reccommend products to pick up along the way? Is there a brand of safe organic carrots and apples? Any known brands that don't spray with Auxi-gro? It seems like there is nothing safe to eat. God bless us.
Brandy
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should I avoid all California produce?
Debbey
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i take with me
a small fold up cooler-lunch box
peanut butter (peanuts & salt)
St Dalfour jelly
safe bread or carrs water crackers
walkers shortbread cookies
organic raisin/pecan mix in zip lock
lays organic potato chips
organic baby carrots
that way I have something in case
I have been lucky lately to travel and find Amish Farming communities that have great veggies and stuff good luck !- I have in a pinch eaten eggs over well at a resturant but I also had to wipe them off-scrambled come from a mix and you will get so sick!!! I also travel with benedryl in case...when I drive I actually pack a cooler with safe food
Brandy
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the suggestions Debbey. Amish farmers don't spray their crops with anything?
Anyone else have suggestions for the road?
Lisa Marie
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got back from a week in Myrtle Beach. I made 2 days worth of sandwiches out of Applegate farms lunchmeat and lettuce. I take a big cooler with as much as I can get in it. I also take a 6-pack cooler to take my daily lunches or dinner with. In the large one I put stuff like Debbey. I cut up a huge ziplock bag full of carrots, and fill little bags for my lunch. I cut up a couple apples a day, and put them in zip bags. I take my safe bread, and organic peanut butter and make sandwiches. I take original triscuts which I can eat. Sometimes I make safe cookies and take. I have never reacted to any of teh St. Dalfour jellies. I hard boil eggs and take. It is a boring menu, but safe. Her other suggestions are good. You can also pop pop-corn in olive oil and take. Be careful. The last night of my trip, after NO reactions the entire time, I ate a hamburger patty our of our meat, cascadian farm sugar snap peas, and a baked sweet potato that I bought at a grocery store (I have eaten them before) I had the worst reaction that night that I have had in 2 years at least! I was sick for the next 3 days. I KNOW it was the potato, because I didn't eat anything else different. I went to at least 5 restaurants with my family (it was a reunion) and ate peanut butter sandwiches--must to their dismay, but it was worth not getting sick. I did order club soda with lime, and I do fine with that. You can google heath food stores in the areas you will be in. Have fun. Good luck.
Brandy
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 7:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lisa Marie, what brand of baby carrots do you do okay with? I noticed a difference in the size of Earthbound Farms baby carrots and Newman's carrots. The Newman's carrots are double the size. Raises my suspicion of Auxigro??
Lisa Marie
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brandy,
I don't eat baby carrots. To me they taste funny. I do buy the Earthbound Farm organic carrots from Walmart-one of the few thigs I get there. I do okay with those, but I think some people may not. I buy 2 or 3 little bags at once, and peel them and cut them up and keep them in the fridge for quickness. I also do fine with Green Giant carrots.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get some excellent tips on using dry ice to pack up your own frozen food for camping or travelling to your vacation spot via this web site:
http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/load/camping/msg0514003024883.html
Elsewhere, it was mentioned that if you are travelling via air, it is important to check with your airline regarding hazardous material restrictions
Some additional facts about dry ice can be obtained at:
http://www.linde-gas.com/International/Web/LG/COM/likelgcom30.nsf/DocByAlias/nav_dryice_faq
P.S. I am looking for a reasonable place to rent for one week ideally in Vermont (or elsewhere in New England) with a full kitchen for my husband & I. If anyone has a connection, pls email me.
Brandy
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie
So you buy the regular EB Farms carrots? I don't think I've seen those at my Wal Mart, but I'll re-check. Is Organic Valley whole pasturized milk still considered our safest milk?...also is Organic Valley salted butter considered the safest?
Brandy
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the dry ice tip, MEMorris!
Brandy
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the www.needs.com website, which of the two Tri-Salts should I buy?
Lisa Marie
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Brandy, I get the regular Earthbound Farm Organic carrots and cut them up in bulk. They taste better. You might read ingredients in your local dairy milk-that is what I buy. I think Organic Valley has ultra-pasturized, however, my local health store can order it in the Pasturized form. I don't like the taste of Organic Valley butter, but I know lots of people use it. Again, I familiarize myself with the local dairy of a place I am in, and look for cream and salt only as ingredients.
I just tried Ben and Jerry's Organic Vanilla ice cream for the first time and had no problems with it. I think there was recent discussion about it, but I can't locate it now.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of use Ecological's Tri-Salts & find it safe.
Sunny Chi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to eat in Italy and Switzerland? Are the fruits and veggies safe there? I already know that I can't eat mozzarella cheese. Thanks in advance!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunny, most of the European cheeses are made the old fashioned way with natural rennets and such, not the powerful manmade ones that can turn milk into cheese more quickly. In this country, they also add a lot of dry milk, dry whey solids and colorings to the milk. Look for some in Europe that are not very aged. Italy and Switzerland are two countries that are proud of their local cuisine and do not use as much MSG as places like Germany and England. My brother-in-law is MSG sensitive and he and my sister did very well in Italy last year. Learn the words for MSG in those countries and ask waiters about the ingredients. The fruits and vegetables should be okay.
Sunny Chi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, thanks for sharing that info with me! I feel a lot better about traveling now. Hopefully, they haven't started using Auxigro over there. I will definitely prepare a written list of things I can't eat before I go. Thanks again!
Maria
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sunny, I just returned from Switzerland this week and did well with the food. I did notice though that all the bottled water there contains sulfites & nitrates. I couldn't get away from it. The only alternative I did was ask for tap water, unbelievably the tap water tasted better than the bottled water.
Sunny Chi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Maria, glad to here that you did well with the food in Switzerland! I just got back from my trip yesterday and am happy to report, that like you, I did well with all of the food in Switzerland and Italy (except for one night in Italy when I didn't know what kind of cheese I ate, and another incident with pasta at lunch which I ordered at more of a fast food type of place). Of course, I still tried to be careful with what I ate and stuck mainly with pastas, potatoes and vegetables there (no pizza for me). I love potatoes and was so pleasantly surprised that I had no reaction to them. I only ordered salad twice in Switzerland, but had no reactions to the lettuce and vegetables either. I ate cereal mix and croissants every morning in both Italy and Switzerland without any problem. The beef in Switzerland tastes great and did not give me any reaction. I even had herb butter without a reaction. I also noticed that all of the bottled water was enriched with minerals, but fortunately I did not react to the water. It seems like a magical trip for me because I was able to even eat the food on the plane (NWA coming back) without having any serious reactions.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great to hear about your fun trip...glad you did so well with the food.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page