Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Deb-Radio Interview

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Deb-Radio Interview « Previous Next »

Lisa Marie
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know you have an interview about MSG tomorrow. Would you please again post where we can listen to it? Thanks Deb.
Pam E.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie,
This is Carol H's post from Jan 9th:

Colette, yes - you can hear it on the internet. Just click this link http://www.newfrontier.com/asheville/the-revolution.htm to get to the Virato Live website. Then click where it says "Click here to listen."

Hope you can use this link. If not, go to "last week" on the menu at left. Your above posting is directly below Carol's posting.
Pam E.
Lisa Marie
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Pam! Good luck Deb, I know it will be interesting and you will do a fantastic job.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Lisa Marie. I have a feeling that the men may have more to say to each other, but that's okay! I'm outnumbered by 3 to 1, but am sure I will enjoy what they all have to say. I think that Dr. Schwartz is going first and then Jack and I will have a go at it. This is my 3rd or 4th interview. You can hear a couple at my site at www.msgmyth.com. Just scroll down on the left menu and click on "interview". It doesn't get easier, just more familiar. It'll be 8 AM Pacific Time for me.
Kathy D.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck from all of us! Please know that we all appreciate the knowledge and support you have provided. I don't even want to think where I'd be right now without you and your book. I'll be listening here on the west coast (at least I hope, as I'm not too good on the computer). Thanks again Debby, Kathy D.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's on now!

Go to:

http://www.newfrontier.com/asheville/the-revolution.htm
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, it was great to hear you today. Hope I didn't confuse folks too much - I can do that sometimes - especially when I'm all fired up... Thanks for listening Roy. Wish we had more time to talk about taurine and how great Deb's recipes are.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the support, you guys. It was crazy, but fun. Carol, what a happy surprise to hear you call in, too! When Virato called me a few weeks ago, I gave him your name and web site and told him a little about you. I had no idea you would be there, too, and it was so nice to even up the count a bit with the men! Ha Ha! Sometimes it is hard to get a word in. You were awesome and helped add some backbone and science to the issue. I wish we'd had more time to list some of the aliases for MSG. But there will be other shows. I was surprised when Virato mentioned my book. That was good of him...he usually doesn't like to promote things. He is a very good radio host..it's sometimes very confusing when so many are on the panel. He told me that Jack and I would be back up for Dr. Schwarz, and then he emailed late last night asking how to get a hold of Dr. Schwartz. We all wondered if he would show up. Whew, glad he did. Hope some listeners made the MSG connection to their illnesses.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carol! You promoted the discussion board and that was plenty! Thanks for being such a great friend and support. It was so good to hear your voice again. Fired up is great! Was that the first show for you? It may be just the beginning!!!
Kathy D.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good going ladies!! I also felt that it was too bad you couldn't have listed the aliases for MSG, because I still feel that most people will be in the dark. Good about the book, this discussion board, and the websites. Thanks, Kathy D.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One good thing we got in at the last minute though, was a quick list of some of the common symptoms. People listening might catch one that they are struggling with and then go to one of the mentioned sites for more information. A list of food addtives may be forgotten, but not a symptom one relates to.
Thanks, Kathy, for the kind words.
Lisa Marie
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb and Carol,
It was so good to hear you both on in one place. It was a good show, and I hope he will do more on this, because he seems convinced that he is MSG sensitive. I was a little startled in the beginning, because he mentioned, in researching for this program, that MSG might not be as bad as he thought. So I worried that the pro-glutes had changed his mind. I enjoyed hearing Jack and the doctor also. I hope there are more shows you can do in the future.
Colette
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I missed it and wondered if I could listen to it archived. I tried to find how to do that on the site but I am whoafully pathetic and this computer stuff beyond the basics.

Any tips?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colette,

It looks like past shows are only available on CD after first airing, and not right away.

http://newfrontier.com/asheville/past-virato-live.htm
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was happy that Dr. Schwartz mentioned that MSG could be hidden under the words natural flavoring - that seemed to surprise Virato. Yes, that was my first time actually being interviewed although I had called in once to the John Gambling show here in NYC one Saturday morning about a year ago and spoke about the obesity-MSG link. Thank you so much for telling him about me. It was fun to hear you Deb. Gosh, has it been 4 years since we actually spoke? I feel we talk all the time but its usually email. Now that I have Optimum voice I should just call you up! I talk more easily than I write - cause my typing is so slow :-) Perhaps next Virato could do a show on aspartame and invite Dr. Schwartz back and have him on with Betty Martini.
Kathy D.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was interested when Dr. Schwartz talked about Braggs. Is it any different from soy sauce--better or worse. My grown daughter, who is vegan, uses it, so I'm a little worried. This daughter is very careful with her diet, eating healthy, the others not so much. I called and told her about it, but said I'd check with you.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was horrified when I saw Braggs in a book called Higher Choices written by a woman who works at our local Whole Foods store. They also sell Braggs at this Whole Foods market. She was miffed when I told her my misgivings about touting that product. I haven't even tried to do anything educational at that store due to her influence there. They have her doing nutritional talks all the time. Her experience is simply having a few food allergies. I should try a different Whole Foods in the area.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 6:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so disappointed that I missed the show! Would someone please explain to me the problem with Bragg's? Or provide a reference on it? My local healthfood store makes wonderful soup with fresh vegies and organic chicken but likes to add Bragg's to it sometimes. I would like to have ammunition to convince them to eliminate Bragg's from the ingredients. Thks!
Kathy D.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 6:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He didn't explain and that is why I'm asking for more info. My daughter will be up for a couple of days and said she would bring her bottle of Braggs. I know they carry it at our health food store. So can you give us more information? Thanks, Kathy
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is hard to say, but I need to say it: The problem is this, and Jack Samuels has brought this upon us. In his stubborn insistance that manufactured free glutamic acid is ALWAYS ALWAYS BAD and NATURAL FREE GLUTAMIC ACID is ALWAYS ALWAYS GOOD, he has done us an incredibly grave disservice. The problem is this: It is EXACTLY because free glutamic acid, whether it comes from the moon or from wherever, in D form or L form, in the presence of or not in the presence of contaminants, can and does target receptors all over our bodies - that we suffer from MSG reactions. Jack has weakened his own argument about Auxigro. Now Auxien corporation - based solely on Jack' argument which they go to great lengths to mention on their website, insists that their glutamic acid is chemically identical to NATURAL free glutamic acid found in our bodies. Since Jack says that's ALWAYS GOOD, why then Auxigro shouldn't hurt anyone. They are using Jack's argument as an actual SELLING POINT. The problem is Jack is WRONG about this. I submit when you hit your head against the same wall for nearly 15 years, getting nowhere - and you still expect a different result, then maybe you should find a different wall to hit your head against or reconsider your convictions. I was clearly dismayed when he brought up that argument over and over again yesterday. We get reports all the time from people who react to "natural" MSG. If he actually had allergies, he would not be so enamored of the word "natural". Natural proteins can actually kill allergic persons. It doesn't matter if it is natural or manufactured. The Glutamate Industry is constantly slaying Jack with his own "Natural" sword. It's time to stop the bleeding, folks. If anyone can prove to me scientifically that only one form of glutamic acid fits NMDA receptors - I'd like to hear it. The fact is receptors like NMDA receptors accept many different things. If anyone can find me a scientific article stating that these receptors DON'T work with "Manufactured" free glutamic acid - please post it here. We have to do this. We have to be clear. I know Jack may be on our side, but I feel we often suffer from "friendly fire" when he aims that Natural vs manufactured argument at the press. I wish he would have Adrienne on instead to explain to us all how the research proving MSG is safe is biased. Now THAT would be helpful.
Now, Bragg's is using that same argument. Why Bragg's is "natural". I'm sorry. it just doesn't fly with me. Balance should be the key word. Pouring a Non-essential amino acid on our food in any amount which interferes with the uptake of other amino acids is not a good thing. We should be emphasizing Balance over Natural. This view is my own and I apologize if it gets Deb in hot water with Jack, but I did not have time to disagree with Jack on this major major point. When the enemy starts using your argument to sell their product, well then maybe its time to use a different argument.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Carol. I react severely to poison ivy and have never subscribed to the myth that natural always equals safe.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Roy. I do have an explanation as to why perhaps some think "natural" MSG is safe, but it has to do more with what else is present that is protective against free glutamic acid neurotoxicity. For example. Jack thinks natural tomato free glutamic acid is safe - but here is what else is in a tomato: 14 mg Magnesium, 22 mg Vitamin C and GABA, which acts opposite of free glutamic acid. In Italian cooking, foods often eaten with free glutamic acid are oregano and rosemary - two foods with anti-inflammatory properties. Fresh cooked potatoes containing Vitamin C are also very frequently used as either a side dish or in Gnocci - a very popular kind of Italian pasta. Sauces are used sparingly, and cheese is sprinkled lightly after cooking and just before serving. Fresh corn is often served with butter - which contains GABA. In Japan, seaweed in sushi is served with anti-inflammatory ginger and often fresh Vitamin C containing fruit at the end of a meal. Not to mention the fact that sushi is high in taurine as well. And so just because you don't notice a reaction - doesn't mean you aren't being protected from one by what else is present. That is why I say balance is the key concept here. Look what I found just today: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6969782.html
They are trying to genetically engineer a tomato with TWICE the NATURAL free glutamic acid of a non-genetically modified tomato. Believe me - I was in the food industry. If it doesn't do something - they won't spend the money on it. They are after a "clean label". If Jack is right - everyone here should be just peachy about that. It won't be happening in a factory. If I am right, we should be afraid - very afraid. The balance of stimulatory amino acids will be out of balance with the protective compounds. If they are trying to do this with tomatoes - they are probably already trying to do this with other "natural" products too. Hence my concern. What is on my Christmas wish list for next year? The FDA finally making companies list total FREE glutamic acid and FREE aspartic acid content in finished products. No matter where it came from or how it was made. We have to be realistic here. We should be asking for things that can be realistically tested for.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is out of balance in our diet is not the amount of glutamate in our beans, rice, tomatoes, mushrooms, veggies, meats, etc. If we all ate the diet of the pre-40's, then the amount of glutamate reaching the receptors would be normal and adequate for normal brain function. The argument for me about glutamate found naturally in our foods being the same as that in MSG that the glutamate industry promotes, is moot. What the average person doesn't get today is that it comes down to the extraordinary AMOUNTS of glutamate that we are being subjected to from processed foods that contain added glutamate that tips the scales....and the average person eats a LOT of processed foods today. Free or bound or factory created, an overload is an overload.
Carol, you need to email Jack himself. You have great insights to share. I don't have a problem with that at all. It is important that those of us in this cause continue to share our concerns and ideas and new information as they arise. Working together is the key and being united about certain facts is important, as you suggest. The Glutamate Association will use anything they can to discredit us...we need to be careful that we don't discredit each other, as they would like. Semantics is part of the problem, too, I believe. Many of us still get confused about the nature of glutamate, MSG, free glutamate, bound glutamate. My understanding is that once it is in a form that can be assimilated into the bloodstream, it doesn't matter where it comes from. Too much in that bloodstream is too much...and the damage begins to build. For myself, I believe that the blood brain barrier plays a significant role, being effected by genes, injury, and age. I suspect that MSG itself, due to its excitatory nature on the neurons of the brain, can somehow damage the very pumps in the brain that normally rid it of excess glutamate....because there is so much reaching that system. Once so damaged, I suspect that no amount of antioxidants or anti-inflammatory substances will change the blood brain barrier to it former condition. But I do think they can help. Recent news has suggested that we can form new brain cells. It's just so exciting to see that people in the media are getting involved and I thanked Virato for organizing this show. Mike recorded the show and yesterday I asked Virato for permission to post it at our site. If he gives it, all of you can listen to it.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have spoken to Jack. I don't think I'll be successful. I appreciate his efforts, but I disgree with his interpretation. Adrienne should be out front on this - she has a lot to say. Her analysis of the research is key to our arguments. As much as I hate to disagree with someone on our side, I hate to see us lose because they think we are united behind the natural vs manufactured crusade. And here is why. It is the absolute crux of the whole matter that the food industry is sprinking a neurotransmitter that affects our nervous system onto our food. It is the fact that it acts the same way that our own glutamate does that is the problem. The manufactured aspect works with the aspartame problem due to the formation of formaldehyde as a breakdown product, but it is not a player in the MSG argument.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. As I said, it is the fact that this powerful neurotransmitter is being added to our processed foods in amounts that the FDA won't control or label this is killing us. I think that Jack is communicating that the glutamate found naturally is safer for us because it is more slowly broken down in the digestive system as it is supposed to....but he doesn't explain that if that was the only place we got it from, we'd be okay. BUT, he doesn't explain that or the fact that the food industry is giving us dangerous amounts of it when he covers that issue. Excess glutamate is the issue...to the point of toxic levels. I tell people who are new to this when they ask what they can eat, that since their systems are so toxic, they need to avoid factory created MSG and go easy on foods that contain larger amounts of natural glutamate, such as tomatoes, mushrooms, milk, peas, etc. for awhile ...especially if they are cooked at high heat in liquid. I explain to them about hydrolysis in the kitchen, since that can create a form of glutamate that will enter the bloodstream more readily than if the substance were eaten raw...and not overly ripe as in the case of tomatoes, or cooked at low temps and not for long periods of time. Is this something you disagree with, Carol? Dr. Blaylock spoke about the peptide linkages of glutamate being destroyed by hydrolysis and/or chemicals, creating free form glutamate that is the type found in MSG. Do you feel that is not worth mentioning to people I coach? I really want to share good information. We sure need studies on glutamate, don't we?!!!
Carol H
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I think the issue is free versus bound glutamate. That way its easy to explain how you can unwittingly make free glutamic acid in your own kitchen. Free glutamic acid when eaten raises the free glutamic acid in the blood quickly - just as straight glucose raises blood sugar more quickly than a complex carbohydrate. You might as well open a vein and inject the stuff right in.
I really think the best analogy is the one I mentioned on Saturday. Think of excess free glutamic acid as a hyper child running around your usually orderly house, turning on everything in sight,instead of just the things that are needed at the moment. A normal amount of free glutamic acid is needed to turn on some things, but if everything is on at once, you could blow a fuse. Energy is not infinite and neither is the amount you can put through the wires in your house, just as your own nerve cells have limits on what they can withstand. The body is full of switches that FREE glutamate turns on. Think of BOUND glutamate as a child with adults holding each hand. He can't get into too much trouble if his hands aren't free. Hope that makes sense.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page