Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Marketing fortified foods

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Marketing fortified foods « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today's NY Times
Title: Marketing fortified foods to those leery of drugs
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/28/business/28food.html
Too long to post here but here is a quote: "With health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis and digestive disorders all on the rise, a growing number of food marketers are selling what the food industry calls functional foods, which promise a host of health benefits, from cholesterol reduction to immunity improvements to easing of intestinal problems."

In the paper version of this article, they go on to explain that advertising tiptoes around FDA regulations on health claims. Quote: "While many scientists promote the healing powers of a diet based on whole grains and lots of fruits and vegietables, some are skeptical of the idea that specific conditions should be treated through packaged food products."
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 7:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a lot of problems with the idea of "neutraceuticals" where the marketers of foods want to put medicine to treat diseases into foods. Foods are generally perceived as safe and many people overindulge. We have had a few problems in recent years just with people taking herbs and them interacting with medication. Remember when we were children and they made medicine taste bad just so we wouldn't down a whole bottle because it was tasty? Now, we have children dying of iron toxicity poisoning cause those chewable cartoon character vitamins taste like candy. Food should help keep people healthy to avoid disease. I think we should leave actual medicines for treating diseases once we are diagnosed with them. After all, as we found here, many of the diseases mentioned go away when proper nutrition is followed and the junk is removed from the diet. It's so much harder to regulate doses, purity, and chemical stability in food as opposed to regulated drugs.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen, Carol! I'm sorry I haven't been able to post this past week. We have been removing all the furniture from 2 bedrooms and a loft....the last of the rooms to be recarpeted. It has been so much work, but we are now about done. The rooms are carpeted and now we just have to move everything back. :-( At least it's a good excuse to edit stuff...but I sure need to see my son, the chiro! Wishing everyone here a happy and healthy new year....and no house floodings!
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansst du mir ein Speisekarte zeigen ?wvq

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page