Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Alert: EPA to Allow Pesticide Testing...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Alert: EPA to Allow Pesticide Testing on Orphans and Mentally Handicapped Kids « Previous Next »

Lisa Marie
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is an outrage:

ALERT: EPA TO ALLOW PESTICIDE TESTING ON ORPHANS & MENTALLY HANDICAPPED CHILDREN

Send a letter to EPA here!

Forward this alert to friends and colleagues

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Public Comment Period Closes
December 12, 2005

Public comments are now being accepted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on its newly proposed federal regulation regarding the testing of chemicals and pesticides on human subjects. On August 2, 2005, Congress had mandated the EPA create a rule that permanently bans chemical testing on pregnant women and children. But the EPA's newly proposed rule, misleadingly titled "Protections for Subjects in Human Research," puts industry profits ahead of children's welfare. The rule allows for government and industry scientists to treat children as human guinea pigs in chemical experiments in the following situations:

Children who "cannot be reasonably consulted," such as those that are mentally handicapped or orphaned newborns may be tested on. With permission from the institution or guardian in charge of the individual, the child may be exposed to chemicals for the sake of research.
Parental consent forms are not necessary for testing on children who have been neglected or abused.
Chemical studies on any children outside of the U.S. are acceptable.

Send a letter to EPA here!

http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa6.cfm
Connie M.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This makes me sick to read. I sent a letter and I will be passing this on!!!!

If we do not protect these innocent children, who will?

I was in a foster home almost 4 years myself. I know I do not fall in the same class as these children do. But I do understand how it feels to be a victim!!!!

We need to let them know someone cares about the children. What an outrage!!!!
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel like I have fallen into a terrible time warp. It is again the 1880s, the gilded age, when the Jungle by Upton Sinclair takes place, when the rich live in splendor, while the "unfortunate" become even more unfortunate, where the poor are exhorted to buy beyond their means, before there is a social safety net, worker protections, before laws against child labor. Those days are here every time I hear radio commercials touting newly available "foreclosed homes" for sale cheap, advertisements for Accountemps which remind me of my hard times when I could only get jobs working temp jobs for Accountemps where they lowered the salary on me when I showed up at a new job. When the money people were the only ones with jobs. When the people with money were superior, and the "unfortunate" ones were at fault for their own situation and were practically begging to be taken advantage of. I am reminded of the return of the robber barons and the gilded age when I hear stories like this, where children are things to be taken advantage of due to their compromised position, which in this "ownership" society means they are expendable in an era of wealthy parents throwing hundred guest parties for the kindergarten graduation of their child. You can't believe what I have seen around here. Roy knows what I'm talking about. (he's seen the mansions outside NYC). My father just told me the food pantry he helps stock is giving out half the food they normally do although there are more families. In an area where we have millionaires throwing away tons of money to be governor. The rich get richer while persons with financial troubles are encouraged to get more money by allowing chemical testing around children in their care. It just so smacks of Charles Dickens I can't stand it.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's a jungle out there. The haves don't care about the have nots. We are all the poorer for it.

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Literature/Sinclair/TheJungle/01.html
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful, thank you, Roy. We all should be reminded that this novel (yes it was actually written as a fictional novel) provided the impetus for the creation of the USDA and FDA in the first place. I highly recommend rereading this classic. It was the depiction of the horrendous conditions inside the meat packing district in Chicago that a main character had to deal with that raised awareness about the way meat was handled. Upton Sinclair's goal was to raise awareness of the entire unfairness of the owner class to the working class in general but today it appears it is only the story of the meatpacking that everyone remembers. He said he wanted to touch people in the heart but instead he got them in the stomach. It is a wrenching story, but so completely pertinent today. The rich thought it was the "good old days", all greed with no accountability, but for those not born to wealth, the world was a very different place. The food industry is trying very hard to get back to the days when they could pass anything off as food. They already avoid meat inspections and can sue people in Texas for talking bad about beef. Just ask Oprah. She's so gunshy, she'll never bring that up again..
Lisa Marie
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The EPA is going to do this!!!!!!!!!! It is OUTRAGEOUS. Please please go to link and consider signing against this. Thanks.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa6.cfm
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansst du mir ein Speisekarte zeigen ?njv

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page