Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Idea!

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Idea! « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you guys think about catching some media attention thru the weight loss angle of avoiding MSG? That's what got me started. I read a book called The Fat Fallacy about how the French eat (without as many additives as allowed in this country)and there was another book out recently called French Women Don't Get Fat (I think).
On the TODAY show yesterday they were airing a story about helping some young women lose weight. It seemed to me they were shaming them and I felt so bad for those young women. I just wanted to say Hey! Quit eating food with so many additives (dba MSG) and the weight will just fall off (as it is for me).
Of course, not all weight problems are necessarily MSG related, but I bet a lot of them are related to the cycle of addictive overeating.
Is there any scientific data to support this idea?
It seems like everyone has a weight loss angle and many people are anxious to try the latest thing.
Lisa Marie
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 2:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Obesity%20epidemic.html

Check out this article written by Jack Samuels about MSG and obesity. I have printed it out and given it to so many people, but they just look at me like, "that's nice." It just seems to me that if people do not believe they are affected by MSG, that they just don't care.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A food additive just seems too simple of an answer to most people, unfortunately. I heard on the news yesterday that in a study of the effects of cola drinks (diet or otherwise) and coffee, it was discovered that the cola drinks brought on increases in blood pressure as compared to the coffee, which did not cause the same spikes. It was noted that since cola drinks and coffee contain almost the identical ingredients, they couldn't understand what was making the difference in the reactions. Hmmm....let me see....don't cola drinks contain something called added free glutamate in the form of corn syrup, dextrose, "natural flavor", and oh yes, isn't there something called aspartame in diet colas????
Idiots!....when are these researchers going to make the connection!??? Sorry...I get a bit impatient and upset at times. I talk to so many people each day who have been very hurt(like the rest of us here) by excitotoxins, it helps to vent...especially with people who I know will understand.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I saw that too. Another case where they are hunting all around the truth, but always missing it. It's like they are afraid to actually just come right out and tell us the truth. As if then they wouldn't get all kinds of grant money to come out with these studies linking this and that every other day. Any "scientist" can perform a study, but the real talent of any researcher is in asking the right questions in the first place, conducting the study to answer the questions posed, and coming to a valid conclusion based on the data that come from it. What happens to us poor consumers is that we are at the mercy of ethically challenged researchers working for profit-driven companies who don't adequately answer their own questions and leave it to lay reporters with no specialty in that field to explain what it all means to the rest of us.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad, huh. Sounds like we here could be considered researchers with real talent!...after all, we did the right research, we asked the right questions, and we came up with valid conclusions about MSG. Better to be ethical than rich. :-)
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie - thank you for the link. I'm still going to give the article to people when they ask about my weight loss. However, I know you're right - I've told people when they ask me and they don't seem interested. It is so much work to avoid MSG. That's probably part of the reason the food processors continue to make profits - no one (but those of us terribly sensitive) wants to deal with it... Oh well, I thought it was worth a try. I may still write to Katie about it. ;-)
Sometimes it makes me angry, and sometimes just very sad... And then I remember to be grateful I found this board and all of you so willing to help.
Debbey
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MSG and aspartmate bounce blood sugar-every magazine about health lately has something about diabetic blood sugar control-food and drinks made "especially for diabetics" have MSG and nutrasweet.. it is even more dangerous because they easily cross the blood brain barrier when levels bounce. I bet every congressman knows someone personally.
When I was i the hospital I put on my chart allergic to: glutamates/preservatives/mutagens
before I left for the hospital my blood sugar was
82..I ate anyway...they gave me a saline flush and my blood sugar plumeted so fast that I was shaking kicking crying begging for eggs-they gave me an apple juice (with natural flavors but I was out of options cause I knew it was crashing) and it got worse-so bad my husband called my sister cause he was scared and I was totally irrational...after 3 eggs over hard and 1/2 jar of peanut butter from my house it went all the way up to 62..it dumped so low that I do not remember which used to happen at 45.......so maybe that is a way to get someone important to listen......
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! You have been through quite an ordeal. Send your story to your congressmen with information about MSG. Be sure to share it with everyone, including diabetes, hypoglycemia, and other related discussion boards. Maybe you could write your story and send it to a magazine like Women's Day...they print such health related stories. Thanks for sharing with us.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbey,

When will doctors learn to listen to patients? Good thing your family was around to help. I wonder how many incidents like this get covered up.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geben mir bitte eine Brotchenqav

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page