Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

How safe is MSG

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » How safe is MSG « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 6:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will MSG becomes toxic when exposed to heat for an extended period time.
Fran
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure that I understand your question. MSG is toxic as it is. It is created by heat or decomposition.

Are you asking this question in regards to stories about aspartame being exposed to heat and becoming even more toxic. I suppose the same could be true of MSG, but avoid the stuff like the plague and never thought about this.
Margie
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 1:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

If you havent' already, check out the link "hidden names for MSG" (below). It will give you an idea which *ingredients* are being put in our food that contain MSG. A great reference for people just learning about this.

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm
maria vetland
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

two questions: is there msg in selzter water llike perrier or saratoga?

how do you know if msg is in your vitamin? did i read somewhere that magnesium sterate contains msg?

thanks
maria
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria, some companies may put some MSG in their water, but they would have to label it as such. But if it is an additive such as dextrose, which contains glutamate, the harmful component of MSG, the average person, may not be aware that the glutamate present could cause a reaction. Most waters contain preservatives such as sulfites, phosphates, or benzoates, which can cause reactions for many of us. Sulfites do not have to be labeled if the amount is under 10 parts per million. But there are some beverages that must have more than that amount and are unlabeled. The FDA has little time to keep checking most companies. I have to avoid such products for that reason. It's best to call the company if you have any questions concerning additives. As for vitamins, check the list of hidden sources of glutamate on our site at www.msgmyth.com or at www.msgtruth.org, or www.truthinlabeling.org. Make a copy and compare the ingredients in any vitamins with the list. Some common culprits that contain glutamate in vitamins are gelatin, cornstarch, yeast extracts, dextrose, lactic acid, and others.
I'm not sure about magnesium stearate. I think it's a by product of beef fat, but I am not certain. You might try doing a search on that substance and let us know what you learn.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geben mir bitte eine Brotchenxmj

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page