Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

New Thoughts on MSG and taurine

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » New Thoughts on MSG and taurine « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 6:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently came across a reference to taurine levels being lowered by certain female hormones. It was extremely interesting to me, as it may possibly explain something that had puzzled me for an entire decade. Ten years ago, I was so extremely sensitive to MSG, every meal filled me with sheer terror. I was at the end of my rope. I was reacting with violent raises in blood pressure - 40 pnts diastolic after eating MSG. My pulse went above 100 at rest. When I took taurine, I could actually sleep. When I later wound up in the hospital with a large dermoid cyst, they kept me in the hospital for ten days because the BP was so dangerously high. Turns out, the cyst consisted of lots of extra ovarian tissue. Tissue capable of releasing uncontrolled amounts of female hormones. When they removed the cyst, my blood pressure appeared cured for a few years. The doctors were all stumped. My severe MSG reactions disappeared at the same time. Now, my boyfriend reacts to MSG more than I do, and I am no longer a canary in the coal mine like he is. I have been puzzling over why this would be, until now. If the female hormones cause a dip in taurine production, then maybe, just maybe this is the reason for my extreme sensitivity then, as well as the reason why obese Alzheimer's patients seem to be overwhelmingly women. It would explain why women suffer depression much more than men. It would explain how pregnant women come down with gestational hypertension. Perhaps the solution for this deadly problem would be as simple as forbidding MSG in the maternal diets, and possibly supplementing with taurine during this time. The mother's health is already dependent on taurine, but she must also produce taurine in breast milk for the baby too. It is essential for the babies, but if the mother is deficient, the baby may get the taurine at the mother's expense. I tell you - this little find opened up so many more questions to me - but explained so much too. Jackye, what do you think of this theory?
Jackye
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H, I have not read of any studies mentioning taurine production related to female hormones. However, psychological and emotional symptoms of fatigue, irritability, insomnia, and nervousness may be related to both estrogen deprivation and the stress of aging and changing roles. The incidence of heart disease increases with menopause as well(derease in hormone production). Circulating levels of estrogens and progesterone are markedly reduced during menopause (surgically induced and natural occurring), but testosterone (male hormone) decreases only slightly during this time. I will research the correlation of taurine and female hormones. Remembering that most of medicine is experienced-based, one must have confidence in their own personal experiences. In other words...trust your instinct...as Deb A says...listen to your body...there is probably something to it.
kerry
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where do they get taurine from? i know it is found in meat and dairy, but what is the source of the stuff they put in, say, redbull? i suppose what i'm asking is if it is derived from animals?
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taurine is mostly found in animal sources. It is also contained in some nuts.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ein Schloss, Ein Wurst, Ein Kopf !xms

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page