Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The "Mono" in Monosodium Glutamate...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » The "Mono" in Monosodium Glutamate « Previous Next »

Five
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just what is the mono in monsodium glutamate. Since the mineral sodium does not exist in a free natural state where does it come from. The Sea? Sea salt?
HOw does it form in the processing of various foods and vitamins?

I have been reading about various monatomic elements and there is a lot on monatomic gold, iridium, rhodium and a few others that folks are taking. The mono part means that the bonds that made them be a metal are broken and they are no longer considered metals and have some peculiar properties. They are diamagnetic and paramagnetic.
They do stimulate neural activity.

So, who can tell us just what is monosodium?
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monosodium in MSG means one sodium ion that has an electric charge. It is not hanging out by itself -it's attached, or "stuck" if you will, to a glutamate ion by electric charge. - The basic definition of a salt - NaCL (table salt) is also connected by ionic charge. You know - opposites attract.

Meat or wheat, or beets, or soy, (or whatever they use as the protein source to make MSG) is cooked with heat in the presence of water and NaCl. The lopsided ionic nature of the water itself (weakly positive on one side, and weakly negative on the other) rips the bonds of the salt and in these conditions, some sodium ions reassociate themselves with the freed amino acid glutamate. Because, in the meantime, amino acids hydolyse, which means, in the presence of heat and water, a water molecule inserts itself between two amino acids and splits them free from the protein chain. Then it's like a square dance - dancers of opposite persuasion exchange partners. Cl loses its partner to glutamate.

That's today's science lesson :)
Judy T
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 6:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H: And a fine one it is. Thank you.
Five
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 3:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So when we use salt in cooking meat, does it also create some MSG? Or is something else involved? Salt is naturally occuring in flesh (beef seems to be loaded), so when we cook it some MSG is formed?

It seems that MSG is formed in the production of many ordinary things when they are not trying to make MSG.

There has to be sodium and glutamate in the same "pot" for MSG to form. So it is better to put salt on our food after it is cooked?
Rue
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I understand...in Japan people used a powdered seaweed to flavor foods..eventually an extract was made from this same seaweed....eventually it was found that a certian component of the seaweed was responsible for making foods taste really good.

Later on a Japanese researcher discovered a way to artificially manufacture a compound that mimicked the seaweed compound...and hence MSG.

As for salting meat while cooking..that, I think, would depend on the manner of cooking...i.e the temperature.

Myself I cannot tolerate things like pot roast or roasted turkey, chicken, etc..it gives me acid and just plain bothers my stomach....

So my research leads me to think that the high temperatures used in roasting and baking not only alter the characteristics of the food but might also alter minerals like the salt.

I might also be wrong in some areas but this is what I found.
msg kills
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my 18 year old son with type one diabetes seems to have had bad reacitons with eating too many processed food (foods suspected to contain msg) with nausea and vomiting, feeling of something in the throat, and no appitite. Since has has been eating more whole foods and eleminating the suspecting msg products he has done better. Has anyone else heard of these symptons
Dianne/Maine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. & everyone....check out today's Mercola.com! Deb A. the Avenger is there! Go to Current Health Newsletter, then click on "Why you do not want to eat processed foods" and there's our Avenger! Dr. Russell Blaylock has an hour long seminar on MSG & excitotoxins. I listened to about 40 minutes and will finish it later. Very informative!!! Think of how many thousands of people log on to Mercola every day!!! The MSG/excitotoxin message is getting out there!!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yikes!! I better check it out. Thanks, Dianne.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is such a shock to see my little avenger character on Dr. Mercola's site. I tried to write a comment, but don't think I did it right. Anyway, PLEASE take a minute and share a few comments at the site so that we can lead people here to the discussion board and/or share some of our own personal stories about MSG. Most of the comments are positive so far. It took a lot of courage for Dr. Mercola to publicly condemn MSG like that. I would like to thank him for the blurb he added about our site. He is a real pioneer for better health.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the linke to Deb A. the Avenger on Mercola.com:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/10/why-you-do-not-want-to-eat-processed-foods.aspx
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So glad Mercola did this! Thanks Roy. I cannot view the video due to my old computer. If there is something new on it, I'd appreciate it if someone would report back here.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. Incredible video by Dr. Blaylock. He does an absolutely amazing job explaining everything and I do mean everything. We should see if we can spread that video far and wide - everywhere we possibly can - it is the best explanation. I want to send it to everyone I know.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We should send that video to Michael Moore. I hope he does his next movie about this.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael Moore's contact information:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/email/index.php
Bill S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debby, It's wonderful Dr. Mercola used the video with your logo in it. He surely didn't have to.

MEMorrisNJ, If I remember correctly, you have dial-up. Here's a low quality version.

http://www.4shared.com/file/20788647/59bfa8b/LowQualityBlaylock.html

(The webplayer didn't play the whole video for me. But you can just download it if doesn't work.)
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.74.121.14
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/10/why-you-do-not-want-to-eat-processed-foods.aspx
I now consider myself fortunate to having the type of reaction from Excitotoxins that I have. For most people it is a silent killer because they don't know what is making them sick
and distroying their brains and body.
I'm so thankful for this website and other websites for informing me. Now to somehow get the DVD or CD of Dr Blaylocks presentation.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A and all - msgmyth.com is mentioned again in Mercola's daily email newsletter. See: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/12/how-to-find-hidden-msg-on-food-labels.aspx
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill - Thanks for remembering I have dial-up! The link worked well.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazing! Thanks, MeMorrisNJ. People, I could just hug all of you....just knowing that things are snowballing is the greatest! 12 years ago, we could only hope that somehow we could get the message to more people. Thank goodness for the Internet...and for Dr. Mercola... and for his endorsement of us and the work we are doing.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a great video!

I couldn't watch the whole video at Mercola's website. I found the same one on Google Video. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2384105525501310962
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to let you all know that since Dr. Mercola's site mentioned our site, we have been swamped with phone calls, e mail, and book orders. One was from Ireland and several from Australia!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page