Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Review by scientist

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Review by scientist « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just received this e mail from an e-friend in the Netherlands. Her job involves researching information for scientists. Dr. John Olney has been the world reknown scientist at the forefront of excitotoxin research since the '60's. He has been sounding the alarm to government officials, and a senate subcommittee...on deaf ears.
"
I don't have the article yet, but am tracking it down now.

Angie

-----------------------------------------------

Neurotoxicology 1994 Fall;15(3):535-44

Excitotoxins in foods.

Olney JW.

Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St.
Louis, Missouri 63110.

Evidence is reviewed pertaining to excitatory neurotoxins (excitotoxins)
encountered in human food supply. The most frequently encountered food
excitotoxin is glutamate (Glu) which is commercially added to many foods
despite evidence that it can freely penetrate certain brain regions and
rapidly destroy neurons by hyperactivating the NMDA subtype of Glu receptor.
Hypersensitivity of NMDA receptors during development makes the immature
nervous system especially sensitive to Glu excitotoxicity. On the other
hand, elderly consumers are particularly sensitive to domoic acid, a
powerful excitotoxic Glu analog that activates both NMDA and non-NMDA
receptors. A high content of domoic acid in shell fish caused a recent food
poisoning incident that killed some elderly victims and caused brain damage
and memory impairment in others. Neurolathyrism is a crippling
neurodegenerative condition associated with ingestion of a legume that
naturally contains BOAA, an excitotoxic Glu analog that hyperactivates
non-NMDA receptors. Thus, the human food supply is a source of excitotoxins
that can damage the brain by one type of mechanism to which immature
consumers are hypervulnerable, or by other mechanisms to which adult and
elderly consumers are peculiarly sensitive."
Linda S.
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb (or anyone better versed in this subject than I),
one of my best friends is a neuroscientist and runs a university research lab. It occurred to me to direct her attention to some scientific studies on the subject of neurotoxins. Besides the study printed above, what other scientific studies/data can I send her? Thanks in advance. The more I stay away from this poison, the more I am convinced this is what has compromised my health for the past 8yrs.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 8:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linda,

There have been many scientific studies on the subject of neurotoxins, some of which are mentioned in and listed at the bottom of the article linked below.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/AustraliaNewZealand.html
Linda S.
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 8:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, I will forward this link to her.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a copy of one of Dr. John Olney's studies. If you send me your email address, I will scan and send it to you. My email address is avenger@msgmyth.com.
It would be something we have been hoping for...to have a lab, independent of food industry support and "persuasion", testing MSG.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally started putting the research information on MSGTruth. I have got a ton of it. I only put a small amount on so far. The page is called Related Research. It is meant not exactly as a bibliography. I don't have links for a lot of it, as some of it predates the public Internet, but I do have the Authors, Journal names, Article titles and dates and pages listed. Take a look. I want to continue doing this for any scientific studies we can find that prove our case. The truth is out there, we just have to print it in bold and stick it right in front of people. I don't want to print abstracts, as the titles in scientific Journals are self-explanatory and we have way too many references. The data I hope to compile will be so comprehensive and overwhelming and so technical that any doctor who doesn't believe you will have to catch up on a whole lot of reading just to be able to look you in the eye. This is the next level for MSGTruth, although I still want to keep the conversational style to reach the non-scientist in the rest of the site. It has been a year since the MSGTruth site went up. We have had at least 5000 hits already :)
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful, Carol! We need to put more about your site on our site.
Judy T
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol: What I particularly like is the recent dates. That is really impressive. Thank you for this page, Carol. Really; thank you.
Deb: I do hope there could be a way to add under the Discussion selections, maybe after the board photos, a spot called Essential Links (or sites) that could list Carol's and also Samuels' sites. New folks could just click on there. Mike, is that possible?
Carol H
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fortunately, the research was done before the Glutamate Association freaked and really cranked up their PR machine and college research funding. I still have to go through the site again and list all the links I already have on the site on the Research page. Those are the newest. Any new links or new research anyone can find is appreciated. I also have data I got from Jack Samuels and you, Judy T., and of course, the latest and greatest from our linkmaster, Roy, will go on there too :) This weekend, I am also going to be working on finally adding the info from the old basicfare site.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 4:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - Impressive!
Newcomers, check out: http://www.msgtruth.com --- click on Research info
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea, Judy!...will fill Mike in.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 6:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He said he will do it!
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike and Deb A: Wow! So quick and you did it. I find these links so so valuable. This site is a place to be informed, learn for yourself, help and assist and be helped and assisted. Thank you. This is a wonderful boon to this site. (Notice everyone...there is a new section called Related Research that has two links that will link even further so we can self-educate and be better informed. Marvelous.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 5:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy to have this new addition and thanks for the suggestion, Judy. Carol, Roy, Tom, MeMorrisNJ, and everyone else who have given us so much to study and learn from, a big thanks, too!
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! :) I'll try to keep this as up to date as possible. I'll be adding lots more links. Did anyone hear about the new data from Canada about teens and high blood pressure? Also there is a news story out about an Alzheimer's study that didn't go so well. Why they wanted to use a hyped immune system against Alzheimer's protein plaques in the brain when other researchers were saying that inflammation was a problem (which glutamate would make worse) is beyond me.
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 7:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sulfite problems: There are lots of excellent sites (I like to look in google.com as a search engine), but the best is hard to find. Search for Brimstone Demons in google and you'll find part one of a book! It is so so interesting and full of good charts, etc. Remember, sulfa drugs and sulfites are different chemically. However, sulfur salts that make up sulfa drugs, can metabolize in certain conditions of heat and pH, into one of the 6 recognized sulfite names. The other sites I like are users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian, asthmaandsinuscenter.com, fmi.org/media/bg/sulfites.html. All of these I copied in 2002 and may be 'gone' now. Let me know if you want to find some of these sites but can't. (I am also sulfa drug sensitive, too).
Jackye
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Judy T for the sites. I will visit them now. I was not aware that sulfa drugs and sulfites are different chemically. Jackye
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 2:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New research information from Judy T has been added to MSGTruth.org. It will take me a while to go through the info from Jack Samuels, but there is a lot of good info in there. Keep checking back on the Related Research page as it is added. Any input on the MSGTruth site is welcome.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Descriptions of pubs their atmospheresjmv

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page