Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Fear - Brand New Research Findings

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Fear - Brand New Research Findings « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to recent findings about a gene related to fear learning. It has to do with neurotransmitters in the brain. http://www.hhmi.org/news/kandel3.html
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

Knowing our government, the most pervasive use of this gene thearpy will probably be to give it to our troops.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 8:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yikes, Tom. Do you realize, we Americans haven't been quite so peaceful since just after WWII. We have become so much more violent as a society ever since we put MSG in our rations and baby food. They are already breeding an army of teenage killers simply by feeding them fast food and ramen soup. Imagining them fearless as well is just too frightening.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 3:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For our army (requisition requirements):

"The bouillon (soup and gravy bases) shall conform to contain hydrolyzed vegetable protein from which none of the monosodium glutamate has been extracted during processing"

http://www.ams.usda.gov/fqa/aa20202.htm
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sweet Jesus.....
I wouldn't be surprised if John Ashcroft shuts us down right now. Our military actually knows what they are doing to our kids overseas. I wonder if that was why the Japanese put MSG in the army rations. To create some suicide pilots.....
Roy, that is just too upsetting.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 9:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, we should send this info to filmmaker Michael Moore. It may explain why Americans are much more violent. He keeps asking that question lately.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 1:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More on MSG and violence:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~boncom/whatseatingkids.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting that, Roy...have been looking for that article...leave it to you to find it. :)
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol: The journalists that wrote the article Roy underscores (and others on their website) are from New Jersey! Ah, do you know of them? They say they are published in some of the eastern newspapers. Do you think they'd come to a meeting and/or work with us? Get a story or two?
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 2:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T, I just emailed Linda. We'll see what happens.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea..the article was dated 1995. I would like to contact them, too..to get permission to post the article here at the site. Would you please send me an e mail address, Carol. On a lighter side, my granddaughter, who most always gets a packed lunch from home, had to buy lunch at school a few days ago. She absolutely loves the homemade, from scratch macaroni and cheese her mom makes...her favorite food. Well, they were serving macaroni and cheese and she opted for something she knew was good (tool lots of control!)....she told her mom, quite proudly that she "just knew there was MSG junk in it!". She is just 7 and off to a great start...she gets bad stomach problems when she gets MSG and gets hyper.
P.S I received a call from a reporter for our local paper out of the blue...wants to try and do a follow up article about Mike and I and MSG...since the one in 1997, I think. It has to pass the editor's ok, but I gave her a ton of info when she came over....will let you know if anything comes of it...she won't start on it until January.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 3:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our military is also encouraging the use of amphetamines (1), which increase the release of glutamate in the brain (2):

(1)By DOUG SIMPSON
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A lawyer for one of two U.S. pilots who released a bomb over southern Afghanistan in April, accidentally killing four Canadian soldiers, says the Air Force had pressured the pilots to take amphetamines that may have impaired their judgment during the mission.

Majs. Harry Schmidt and William Umbach face a possible court-martial for dropping the laser-guided bomb near Kandahar on April 17.

But Umbach's lawyer, David Beck, said he would show at a Jan. 13 hearing on whether to court-martial the pilots that the Air Force routinely pressures pilots to take dexamphetamine, a prescription drug also known as ``go pills.'' He said the drug can impair judgment and is not recommended for people operating heavy equipment.

Beck said the Air Force prevents pilots from flying if they refuse to take the pills.

Air Force spokeswoman Lt. Jennifer Ferrau acknowledged the pills are used as a ``fatigue management tool'' to help pilots stay alert through long missions.

(2) "amphetamines increase the extracellular levels of dopamine and glutamate in the dorsal and ventral striatum. These increases change behavior"
(source: http://www.musc.edu/cdap/ed-mcginty.html)
Carol H
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 7:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More about fear:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5018060

It appears researchers have created "fearless" mice. It appears fear is related to a protein found in the amygdala. Remember, this is a part of the brain that is stimulated by MSG. The amygdala is also possibly involved in the behaviors of autism - avoiding the gaze of others because it is perceived as threatening. They are getting closer every day. Gee, you would think they would next investigate what environmental factors that stimulate the amygdala (like MSG) may play a role in anxiety. I'm not holding my breath - it might mean less $$$ for Big Pharma drugs to fight anxiety. My only wish is that by us spreading the word about this information - we can at least mitigate the loud chorus of commercials telling us we NEED anti-anxiety meds. We can use this info to arm ourselves from those would use this same info to make us dependent on their drugs.
prg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been reading up about the blood-brain barrier because it was my understanding that the BBB kept molecules like glutamate (and other neurotransmitters)from entering the brain.

BUT

I found out that the hypothalamus, which regulates all kinds of stuff (hormones, fight-or-flight stress chemicals, et cetera a very long list) has areas where there is no BBB!

Interesting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page