Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Remedy for msg toxicity mentioned in ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Remedy for msg toxicity mentioned in this article! « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 8:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.balancingcenter.com/toxins.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 3:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, great page- ive just bookmarked it to read over again later!
thanx kristy :-)

(one teensy caveat i must mention, they do recommend taking NAC and i learned the hard way that is a supplement to use with extreme caution becoz it will totally deplete your body of VitC leaving a state of induced scurvy. therefore, folks, never ever take concentrated NAC without also taking a concentrated vitC supplement which is of course risky for the msg/chem sensitive- but foods just wont be able to provide enough C to keep up)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 11:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting article. Per Wikipedia:

"NAC is undergoing clinical trials in the United States for the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder. It is thought to counteract the glutamate hyperactivity in OCD."

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 7:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, are you taking NAC without any reactions? Has it been helpful? I still worry that it is so close in nature to l-cysteine, which I react to..very badly.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well... unless you count severe vitC depletion (which is its nature) i dont think i had any reactions. none of the usual type stuff anyway... & i did have better energy, until the vitamin deficiency set in.
but im not taking it now, i couldnt locate a high potency vitaminC supplement that i felt confident about. id thought i could manage the increased C requirements with foods like kiwi & green peppers, but it just wasnt enough to keep up.

the symptoms of scurvy were pretty obvious when they set in: those funny little corkscrew hairs & purply leg freckles, itching, unmanageable hair, bleeding gums... after i got off the NAC that did all resolve fairly quickly im glad to say

now i just try to keep up with NAC enhancing foods instead, which are mostly all the Sulfur containing foods like Alliums, Crucifers, Eggs, etc... also chicken & yogurt are good for it.

another thing id forgotten but now rings a bell is that synthetic sulfur supplements- of which NAC is one- tend towards enhancing yeast overgrowth in those predisposed... and i did have those problems with candida right around that time. so glad for borax having cured that too!

i suppose there is probly a legitimate use for taking concentrated NAC, but my experience causes me to want to steer others away from it unless they really know all the pros & cons first... i didnt.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 5:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your answers, bo'nana. I was curious and so I emailed Jack Samuels of www.truthinlabeling.org, who has helped me a lot over the years. I sent him our thread concerning NAC, and this is his response:
"Deb:
Obsessive compulsive disorder has been shown to have a glutamate connection. In my mind, N-acetyl cysteine is not a glutamate blocker.
In my memory, Blaylock opposed N-acetyl cysteine, but I think, but am not sure, that he changed his mind. For me, I would avoid anything with L-cysteine.
Check N-acetyl cysteine on Google. You will note that not all sites refer to it as totally safe.
Jack"
As with other supplements, we sometimes have to try them out for a long period of time to see the results.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use NAC when I eat to protect me from possible MSG in the food. Around 300-600 mg of pure powder (no binders filler or capsules).

It works very well to suppress the MSG reaction. (I also take vitC powder as I have read that vitC deficiency can cause the NAC to have a negative reaction.)
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 9:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If NAC is approved by the FDA, avoid it. The Fraud and Deception Administration approves only bad things, never good things.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 10:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cysteine jumped out at me too - but synthetic sulphur supplement? scarier still, as I (hope I correctly) understand a genetic defect of sulphur metabolism to be my issue with deficient taurine and glutathione production, thus the inability to handle msg or detox from other nasty stuff. Doesn't sound like anything I would be trying soon. And I'm with Jerry, if FDA approves it, it's probably bad for you :-)
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I currently supplement with Taurine, but not Glutathione.

Is everyone Glutathione deficient if MSG sensitive?
If no, how does one test for that deficiency?

How much Glutathione do you take?
How often.....1 x/day, before each meal, every day?
Which brand do you use?
Thanks!
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not. I have heard others talk about it. I may not have my facts correct, according to this link: http://www.holistic-back-relief.com/glutathione.html

I will research again, but I (mis?) understood taurine to be needed for glutathione production - but the above link indicates otherwise.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 7:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok - so if I take taurine, and that leaves NAC for glutathione production, then that would explain why my symptoms of glutathione deficiency disappated. It's all a bit over my head and I did not retain a lot from all of my researching, it seems. I have heard of IV glutathione treatments by naturapaths, as it is apparently destroyed by digestion and cannot be taken orally, per the link above.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page