Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A few que's

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » A few que's « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 213.122.142.205
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just need to straighten out my understanding a bit.
Both L-Glutamate & D-glutamate are found naturally in the body: L-Glu is excitatory neurotransmitters and D-Glu is found in mammalian tissues and in small quantities in the liver.
So, the free to wonder isomer that can't find its active site is converted into L-Glu which the brain uses for fuel and protein synthisis. Therefore it is used?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 3:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

The problem with MSG and other forms of free, unbound glutamate is that they spike the concentrations in the body beyond what they need for synthesis and into the realm where they cause damage, much like a diabetic burdened with too much sugar.
Anonymous

Posted From: 94.196.89.41
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 2:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, in comparison to sugar; an average serving of MSG would be very small? Therefore the spikes would be small unless an individual were sensitive to it?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 3:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

It doesn't take much of many substances to cause strong effects, which is why pills are so small. As little as one gram of MSG, the weight of a paper clip, has been proven to cause adverse reactions in people, and I suspect many react to less than that. Also, many reactions are subtle and/or their cause may not be clear to those experiencing them.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minute amounts are needed by the brain for glutamate's role as a neurotransmitter. Glutamate is involved in the wiring of the brain of the fetus while developing. In either case, the question should be asked, what if too much of this powerful amino acid is present? We do know that the difference in the amount of factory made glutamate added to our processed foods since the 50's is enormous. As for the sensitive individual...well there is a debate about who becomes sensitive..those who may have a genetic propensity, those who are aging, those who are very young and whose blood brain barrier is undeveloped or compromised, and those whose diet includes a lot of processed foods rich in MSG, etc. I feel anyone can become "sensitive", for various reasons...that we all have a tolerance threshold. Glutamate is normally released by the liver as needed. However, our systems are being bombarded with excessive amounts of glutamate. How long can we handle this amount, individually, is a good question.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

plus im wondering whether synthetically produced glutamate/glutamic acid from factories should even be considered "the same as" the glutamate/glutamic acid naturally found in most proteins?
even tho industry products often claim to be "bio-identical" substances, many people discover their bodies respond a whole lot differently to naturally occuring hormones, nutrients in whole foods, or whole herbal remedies than they do to the isolated, concentrated, "chemically identical" synthetic copycats produced by big industry

( ...im one of those people... i may not have a strong formal education, but ive learned to know my own body, and taught meself analyze things subjectively as well as objectively- i no longer think it requires a doctorate to recognize the possibility that important variables may be getting lost under all the double blind studies which have lately come to be so highly regarded :-O
Anonymous

Posted From: 213.122.142.205
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Average serving of msg: 0.5mg
I've seen 1000mg tablets of paracetomol.

50% of MSG is the optical isomer...
Actual MSG to be metabolised during spike = 0.25mg

It would be useful to know if; when the body sysnthisises L- glu it, how much it produces in excess for it to then stop the making of it.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bo'nana, im right there with you. I know first hand that i can tolerate natural of most things, but the minute it is a synthetic copycat or derived or just tampered with in any way i have reactions. They may not be able to spot the difference under a microscope of the chemically "identical" to the natural, but my body sure can!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 4:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

When you compare MSG with paracetomol (more commonly known as tylenol) you're comparing apples with oranges. There are plenty of substances that have much more profound effects on the body than tylenol in much more minute amounts.

As for how much MSG the body produces, I assume it normally produces just what it needs and that any additional amount artificially introduced would be an excess. I don't need a measuring device to tell me when I've ingested MSG. My body tells me - loudly.

If you would like a more scientific answer, I suggest you direct your questions to someone more knowledgeable about such things than most of us in this support group, former food scientist Carol Hoernlein, P.E., at mail@msgtruth.org
guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 6:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon,

Please read my article on Natural News when you get the chance. It might help you grasp how MSG damages neurons: http://www.naturalnews.com/025066.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page