Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Experimental drug combo for weight loss

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Experimental drug combo for weight loss « Previous Next »

Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110410194713.htm

The two drugs are a diet drug that's been around for a long time, and Topiramate, and anti migraine and epileptic drug. And I'll bet $$ that it's a glutamate blocker. It says in the article it affects GABA and glutamate pathways.

The combo is about ~10% better than the placebo. How about that!

Now if only they would compare it to a non-processed diet....

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 8:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article states:
The drug combination works in two ways, he says. the first drug increases the release of norepinephrine, a brain chemical that may influence hunger and satiety. Topiramate (or Topamax) has numerous mechanisms of action including effects on sodium channels, glutamate and GABA transmission, and carbonic anhydrase inhibition, although the mechanism responsible for weight loss is not clearly known.
Yes, Topamax is a glutamate blocker. I friend of mine has taken it for years (for MSG caused migraines), but at first took so much that she lost too much weight, has some numbness and memory problems. She takes very little now, but still has some side effects...one is skin eruptions on her face from time to time. I notice that her personality is a little "different"..spacy sometimes.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 11:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer wrote: "The combo is about ~10% better than the placebo. How about that!"

The way they arrived at that figure is probably something like this. They did 20 trials. 17 of them were worse than the placebo; 3 were better. They discarded the 17 and took the 3.

And they may have had to fudge the data to get the 3 to work.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page