Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Scary From Dr. Oz-miracle berry

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Scary From Dr. Oz-miracle berry « Previous Next »

Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just saw a very scary segment on Dr. Oz. He had guests put a miracle berry (grown naturally) in their mouths. A minute later they all ate a lemon and experienced the taste as SWEET. Dr. Oz was AMAZED at the tongue trickery He thinks this will revolutionize weight loss. I guess fool people into thinking bad stuff tastes good.
What is astounding and appalling is that he has no idea that Monsanto has already done this with aspartame and splenda and that MSG does essentially the same thing. How can we make him aware of the fact that we have all already been duped and poisoned?
Honestly, if you could have seen his face and how surprised he was. Maybe there will be a clip on you tube.
Please let's figure out how to make him aware that the chemical companies are doing this and the miracle berry has already been bottled?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From a link on droz.com:

Miracle fruit - formally known as Synsepalum dulcificum - is a red berry that is native to West Africa. It was first described in 1725 when French explorer Chevalier des Marchais saw villagers in West Africa eating the berry before a meal of gruel and palm wine.

A botanist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture brought it to U.S. in the 1960s.

In 1968, scientists isolated the active protein in the berry that makes things taste sweet. Because it has a miraculous way of changing sour to sweet, the protein was named miraculin. When the fruit is consumed, the miraculin in the berry binds to your tongue's taste buds. The receptors on a person's taste buds identify sour, sweet, savory and bitter tastes. Normally, your sour receptors would begin firing if you were eating a lemon. But under the influence of miraculin, the sweet receptors on your taste buds begin signaling and suppress the sour tastes. Miraculin rewires the sweet receptors temporarily to make them identify acids as sugars.

The taste of the berry itself has been likened to a less flavorful cranberry. However, the pulp packs a big punch. To experience the full effect, the berry's pulp should remain in your mouth and be spread all over your tongue for about a minute.

Once you have done this, miraculin changes the taste of sour foods to sweet. The effect will last about an hour. The taste of sweet foods tastes about the same, if not overly sweet.

Miraculin is a protein, so heat will destroy the effect. Therefore, the berry cannot be cooked and heated foods will not taste any differently than they would otherwise.

Saliva eventually washes the miraculin away and your tastes return to normal.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"At the University of Florida, food scientists have genetically engineered the miraculin gene into tomatoes and strawberries. Their goal is to design low-sugar fruits and vegetables that taste supremely saccharine."
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 8:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLEEEEEEEEEYECH!

so- "natural flavours" in fresh fruit. just imagine: the 'sweet' lemon' :P
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 8:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

roy... do you know if those storeberries are allready on the market? im wondering if those horribly sweet tasting & smelling poisonberries that made me so sick last season, might have been...?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 8:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana,

Apparently not. The berries aren't sweet. It's an after-effect.

http://www.raw-food-health.net/MiracleFruit.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... er, i guess i am confused? if the taste receptors are fooled, how does one tell the difference?

the one taste i had of that bad batch, they seemed awfully sweet in an artificial sort of way... then almost immediately, my tongue & brain began twitching and jumping in a bizarre reaction that i could only compare to my one unwise teen experience with cocaine. i had the distinct impression that the candy-sweet taste had caused the reaction becoz i kept tasting & smelling it for hours, even after brushing teeth several times. i'd assumed it was from some strange combination of chemicals- which it probly was- but this 'miraculin' thing has me intrigued.

i dont suppose its got to be labeled as such? and i am also wondering if there could be any odd chemical changes that might occur from cooking foods containing this gene (i'd been attempting strawberry jam)- i know that sounds bizarre, but believe me whatever happened was equally bizarre! it just seems like no possibility should be ignored until it can be definitely ruled out

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page