Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Viamin E

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Viamin E « Previous Next »

Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 8:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anybody uses or knows much about vitamin E? I don't recall reading much about on it here, and never really gave it much thought.I don't supplement with it, but that may change.

A few nights ago I was making a lotion and decided to squirt some E into it. I tasted the contents (gelatin cap and glycerin base...I think) and it triggered an immediate craving. I ended up sucking the contents out of three more 1000IU (about 650mg) capsules.

I did a little research on it, and it's generally considered to be somewhat toxic at what they call large doses.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamine/
However I haven't found any clear-cut evidence of just what the toxic effects are, and the article above hints that it's not really known what doses do what.

When I did a Google search for "Vitamin E Gl"...it filled it in with glutamate as the first choice. I don't have much time to research it in depth. I also did a brief search relating to sulfites, and found this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15681120

I am curious because I slept better than I have in several months. I took the contents of just one capsule last night (along with my Taurine, B-complex and vitamin D, which I usually take in the morning) and had five hours of completely uninterrupted sleep!

I can't help but wonder if E is underrated, just like vitamin D has been for so many years. In 2006 I stumbled upon the Vitamin D Council's website, and started taking a conservative (for them)800 IU/day. A doctor warned me that I need to be careful because D is toxic. I brushed it off, because when I read about D Council's large amounts recommended, I looked it up in the Merk Manual....it said vitamin D toxicity is only seen at does ~20,000+ units a day for three months. Or something like that.

I clearly need to research this more.

Conspiracy anyone? Or am I just being paranoid? :-)

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, what B-complex vitamin do you take. I've always had trouble finding a safe one and opt for powdered B6 and an under the tongue tablet of B12. Would like to find a good B-complex product.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 8:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if I have a "good" supplement, but I seem to do OK with it.

It's Nature Made Super B Complex. It has vitamin C in it:
http://www.naturemade.com/Products/B-Complex/Super-B-Complex

I was out of state last year and found a brand called "Health Care Best Choice". The ingredients appear to be identical.

Jennifer

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page