Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Allergy to sugar molecule discovered ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Allergy to sugar molecule discovered caused by tick bite! « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a really interesting radio show about two allergy docs who discovered an allergy to a sugar molecule in red meat caused by tick bites. This certainly proves that we can be allergic to any part of the corn, not just the protein, which goes against what allergists have been claiming forever. I actually had a doctor tell me that I couldn't possibly be reacting to maltodextrin because there was no "corn protein" left in it after processing. I knew he was wrong, but I didn't have any scientific data to prove it to him. Now I do!

This also seems to back up my theory that our food allergies are caused by Lyme disease or one of it's coinfections.

Also, when inquiring about corn derivatives in products, the company rep usually pulls out the "no corn protein" card to justify their use of a corn derivative in processing and not labeling it.

http://www.jmu.edu/wmra/pgm/insight/062810.mp3
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kirsty, My youngest reacts to maltodextrin. it sees her bouncing off the walls!! Hadnt actually realised it was a corn derivative. I thought it must just be high in glutamate. I know its a definate trigger for her as it was the only thing in the pain relief that was different from her regular brand i give her. Ive since switched to suppositories and i have had no further problems.
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 1:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I'm not trying to be contrary here...but my naturopath told me that maltodextrin can also be made from potato. I react to potato, potatoes are high in sulfites, so I'm thinking it is a sulfite issue as opposed to corn or potato...??? I just am really frustrated because none of this is covered by insurance. Trying to get a doctor to understand it, yeah right....the naturopath has helped me more than anybody which is why I'm going there....anyhow, it's interesting to see this sugar reaction too. I did for a very short time the fat belly cure program. It cuts sugar a lot out of your diet. I now find that if I eat any sugar, (honey, maple syrup, etc., etc.) my body does not seem to like it. So that makes me wonder about the yeast syndrome....The funny thing is when I was about 14, my uncle bought the land behind us and planted corn. I had my fill of corn that year and yes, I did react. Okay, so which is it...Potato, corn, sugar ??? it just seems to keep going on and on for me.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 9:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maltodextrin can be made from potato but until potatoes are subsidized by the government, maltodextrin will continue to be made from GMO corn. Some companies will tell you that they think their maltodextrin is sourced from something besides corn or that it isn't made from GMO corn but the actual odds of that happening are slim and none.

The thing is, I react to fructose - even the fructose in fresh fruit now. I am also sensitive to glutamates so that I might react to pickles made with organic apple cider vinegar even though there is no corn derivative in it. It is a different reaction, but I can't tolerate it any more than I can tolerate corn. I have to wonder if these sensitivities have anything to do with the corn issue. It seems plausible to me (although I am certainly no expert) that I could be overly sensitive to fructose and glutamates because they were previously ingested in excess in the form of corn despite my corn allergy (because I was unaware of the allergy). Perhaps now they are considered guilty by association or the corn derivatives "wore out" my body's ability to deal with those substances. Who knows, but it seems more than a coincidence to me that I am sensitive to those two substances as well as being allergic to corn.

Duchess, I also have to be extremely careful about sweets and high carbohydrate items like potato and grains. I am not sure it is a yeast problem because I went off all these things completely for about 7 months and still they bother me. Because of financial reasons, I have had to go off the GAPS diet and am suffering gastro issues because of it. It helps to take probiotics and eat fermented veggies (homemade).
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 5:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

Thank you. I appreciate your input. Like someone else said, every little piece of the puzzle helps. I am sorry you are suffering and hope financial relief will be in the immediate future for you.

I have been dealing with the food issues about two years now. My adrenal system has been shot. I came across msgmyth through my search for dealing with the intolerances. I do make my own yogurt. I'm not so good at the fermented veggies yet. ;) Just trying to get hubby to eat whole wheat flour and no sugar is a big challenge around here.

What I'm trying to say in all my rambling is....I think what is happening to me is that I'm upping my salicilates due to trying to avoid potato, seafood, and a fruit/sugar combo...Ummmm, a couple of people in my family are allergic to salicilates..so what are my chances? I never had full panel allergy testing and for a while, most of these issues cleared up while avoiding the potato and corn. I just found the sugar interesting in that my reaction seems almost as bad to the sugar as to the potato.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know I have done some research on potatoes since so many people have issues with them and they used to be a safe veggie that most everyone could tolerate. There is a genetically engineered potato on the market and that may be why so many people are having problems with them.

Soybeans and corn are the top two most widely grown crops (82% of all GM crops harvested in 2000), with cotton, rapeseed (or canola) and potatoes trailing behind.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headline_health/genetically_modified_food/2010/01/15/308880.html

Of course it is probably just the high level of starch in potatoes since starch is treated just like sugar by the body. It does seem strange to me that so many people have problems with potatoes, though.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..."Rats fed genetically modified corn were compared to their parents who had been fed non-GM corn. The results clearly showed a difference between the two groups. Rats fed GM food had signs of liver and kidney problems. Effects were also found on the heart, adrenal glands, and spleen"... (from above article)
interestingly, the very areas in which so many of us are struggling with chronic health issues

this is just the tip of the GM iceberg, truly the "grandest experiment" ever carried out. on a global scale. with zero control. and absolutely no knowledge of future result.

perhaps Monsanto et al should consider going by a different name instead... 'pandora' comes to mind

one more link:
www.gmo-compass.org

be forewarned- this is a thoroughly pro-industry newsletter. quite informative, nonetheless
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 6:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

btw... as potatos go, russets are the worst... i personally have not been able to eat them for about 10 years.

so far still doing fine with the various baby potatos... the smaller the better.... organic or not.
but i suspect that russets are just too heavily hybridized for shelf life & high starch, even if gmo is not yet an issue for organics
(debatable, unfortunately... cross pollination issues)

lately also i find i'm avoiding the great big reds that are showing up in sale bags more often... something about them leaves me feeling 'unsettled'. not sure if that is instinct only, or subtle physical reaction... tho the really small reds still seem ok (could be wishful thinking)

has anyone else noticed any 'new' potato reactions? to varieties that had been safe before?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 12:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ireland currently has a no gm crop policy of sorts. Though Europe has other ideas and its an ongoing battle. We will be having a general election at some point, and the opposition party plan to overturn this policy and run with Europe and go ahead introducing GM crops. I never thought the humble vegetable, would influence my politcal vote!!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page