Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sulfites & Corn & Potato mfg. article...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Sulfites & Corn & Potato mfg. article . . . « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 6:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read at:
http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/corn.htm

that

"Unfortunately, the very first step in corn refining is a 2-day soak in hot water laced with sulfur dioxide. This is called steeping. Then the kernels are ground into a slurry, centrifuged and screened to separate the oil, protein and starch. The starch is washed and dried, looks pure and white, but carries traces of the original sulfur dioxide. The United Nations Codex Alimentarius Commission writes standards for the international food industry. Refined corn products are classified as food additives and are covered in a book called the Food Chemicals Codex. When I pulled a Codex off the shelf of a local university library, it looked and smelled brand new. I must have been its only visitor in many years. Codex rules state that a corn starch may contain up to 50 ppm (parts per million) of sulfur dioxide. This is a maximum, so it is reasonable that the effective SOx concentration listed in our Sulfur Oxide Ingredient Table is about half that. "

On his potato page:
http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/potato.htm

"French fries are the kings of processed potatoes and most fries are prepared in a potato factory and frozen before being sent to your local burger stand. The burger people simply dump them into a deep fat fryer for final cooking and serve them to you hot. At the factory, potatoes are cooked under pressure until the skin softens. When the pressure is suddenly released, the skin is jolted loose and it easily peels off in a stream of water jets. The potato skin is used either as cattle feed or to produce methane gas to help run the potato plant. The peeled potatoes are inspected and sent to the cutting machines. The cutting machines are centrifugal pumps that accelerate the potatoes to 50 mph and shoot them into stationary blades. Out pops french fries. The fries are inspected by automated machinery for size, spots and color. Those that pass are blanched in vats of hot water. If necessary, a sugar dip improves the sugar content of the potatoes. Then the fries are dried to controlled water content by blasts of hot air. Finally, they are "par fried" for about a minute and a half in very hot cooking oil. At this point, they are blast frozen and boxed for shipment. Somewhere in this process, sulfites are added because french fries wind up with a sulfite concentration of about 13 ppm. For a super-sized bag, this means 2730 micrograms of sulfur oxide. No thank you, Iíll pass. "

" Potato flours go one step further and use sulfur dioxide to bleach the final product, giving it a nice white appearance like other flours. "

BTW, I read elsewhere that tapioca flour had sulfite issues as well. Maybe that's why I seemed to have issues with the gluten free breads I was making when I was trying to rule out gluten. BTW, gluten is just fine for me, so I think a simple wheat recipe of unbleached flour, yeast, water would be better for me.

Just wanted to share these interesting tid bits I'm learning,

Happy New Year!
-Mike
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike very interesting. A friend of mine's son has a serious sensitivity to potato starch, I will have to tell him to check out sulfites as well. He was told this by a Chinese Doctor in NYC, by doing a blood test taken from his ear. I thought it was hokus pokus until he got well by not eating things with potato starch. One would think that with my own sensitivities I would be open to all sorts of phenomenon, but alas I had to have my eyes opened to new pit falls just like the non believers of FGA problems. Needless to say I am all ears and eyes to many new pieces of information Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 9:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, I was going over some of my new information and looking at the fermentation stuff that I got from you. I had clicked on a related site through you and went to a very interesting site where there was a discussion board that delt with corn products and mentions the GAPS diet and SCD on as well. I can't seem to get back there. It was very informative. I have checked out your site living it up corn free and I love it. You are doing a great service. The site I can't find has discussion board indentification numbers like (7329.13) I'd love to get back there, can you help me out with that? Thanks and Happy New Year. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 1:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Mariann, I think you are talking about the Avoiding Corn forum here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn/messages

How are the fermented veggies coming along?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 1:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, that is very interesting info. It just reinforces my distrust of processed foods. These processing tricks show why it is so hard to figure out what is causing a problem. With every product that is produced there can be so many different substances involved along the way (invisibly) and so many contaminants that there is no way to know what you are really eating with any of these prepared foods.

I think what shocked me the most when I started this journey was the difference between commercially canned and frozen veggies and home canned and frozen. I knew how to can and freeze veggies (I did it as a child) and just assumed that the grocery store stuff was comparable. I think that is the way everyone thinks of these processed foods. They think that it is just someone else doing the prep and cooking so they don't have to....they don't realize the vast difference between processed foods and homemade.

That was a really good book on that site and now I know for sure that sulfites are not my problem. I think reading the book would help anyone nail down if sulfites cause reactions for them. Thank goodness I'm not sulfite sensitive! It sounds about as difficult to avoid as corn.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 2:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy, thanks, yes that was it. I got so much good information there. The fermented veggies are going great. I just checked them again today and they are still bright orange. I was telling my husband about your ginger tea, he has a chronic sinus problem and I can't wait for him to try the ferments. He has some problems because of neck surgery to get rid of cancer and radiation to that area as well.He is a survivor and that is all that is really important. Some of the equipment in that area does not work so good so he has had to be on antibiotics many times. I got him started on Pro biotics but the more I read the more I realize that the capsule is not the answer. I believe so much more in real food answers now. We have been to many many doctors trying to figure this out. He eats what I do for the most part, but does go off on his tangents of bad stuff. I am getting into trying to fix him myself now. I am not giving up on this one. I know how much better I am now and how few meds I have to take. I can not read fast enough all the good information that is being put in my path. I will let you know as soon as I taste those gorgeous veggies. I haven't tried the pickled garlic yet either. I have only a little while left to wait on that deal also. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, You might want to look into water kefir or coconut water kefir and eating the grains - it is supposed to be very effective for infections. Also, you might consider that chronic sinus infections can be the way food allergies can show up. One of the ladies on the corn avoidance forum found out about her corn allergy after repeated sinus infections that just wouldn't go away.

I don't remember if I ever mentioned the book, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. If you haven't read it, you should check it out of the library. Same with the GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) book...even if you don't intend to go on the diet, it gives tons of info about natural healing with real foods and has lots of little things we can add into our current diet. Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz is an amazing book about all kinds of ferments from around the world, it was inspirational to me.

Just remember that most people still don't even know to take probiotics to help counteract the effects of antibiotics, so you are ahead of the game. I am trying to find a good recommendation for a herbal remedy book. I found a lot of info on the Mountain Rose Herbs site, but I am hungry for more. The more I learn the more there is to learn. Kristy
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 4:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kristy I have the Wild Fermentation book on my list to pick up this week and I so appreciate anything you can think of to try. I know that medical doctors could not cure me of my migraines it was me finding this web site and a series of coincidences that led me to get better, so I know there is an answer out there I just have to find it. I never really heard about water kefir and I will look up the Fallon book and the GAPS book. I have read about the GAPS Diet in your posting and have wondered about that. I will look for your posting of a good herbal remedy book. I do have a great shop in a little town right near me called the Herbal Wyfe. My daughter gets a lot of essential oils from her and we took a class there and sat in on a lecture by an Acupuncture Dr. So I think I will set up a meeting with her. Thank you so much. I don't mind reading and like you the more I learn the hungrier I get for the knowledge. Mariann

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page