Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Metabolic, Neurological Disorders Sha...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Metabolic, Neurological Disorders Share Risk Factors? « Previous Next »

Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090309161959.htm

This is an article that shows both metabolic syndrome and dementia seem to have the same risk factors. I wonder....could it be the food? Or maybe a better question is, how could it NOT be the food?

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one, Jennifer.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know, but I think some sort of sulfite solution. Or what they spray (or used to) salad bars with.
I know this because one of the first times I went to Whole Foods, my husband (who has been butchering meat with his family since childhood) took one look at how 'pink' and healthy the meat looked, and said, "Lisa, you think that meat is not sprayed for it to look like that?" I said, "of course it isn't, this is Whole Foods!-Everything is organic." That was back in the day, before I got more educated.
That very day, still thinking the stuff was safe, I bought lamb chops, and 'fresh' scallops, and frozen fish from the deli. There is a thread here about it, but sufice it to say that I got really ill from all of it. (on 3 separate occasions)
To top it off, as we were picking out what we bought, I watched some guy behind the fish counter spraying everything--back then, I just thought it was something 'safe.' Boy, did I have a lot to learn.
After I got sick, I wrote them and told them I had seen them spraying the fish and meat with something. They replied and said they do NOT spray with anything--and IF someone had, then it had to be just water.
Well, who do I trust? My 'lying' eyes, my reactions, or their lying emails? Bet you can guess.
I have not bought any of their deli meat, fish or frozen fish since.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Citric acid in water is being sprayed on everything from meat to produce. It is considered natural, of course, but it contains glutamate residues from the way it is processed from corn...not fruits. It's being used instead of sulfites in some cases.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Deb, do you think that salad bars, meat in grocery stores and restaurants, and produce in markets are all being sprayed with citric acid? I mean is it common practice? Guess I still have a lot of learning to do.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I'm not saying that all grocery stores or restaurant do that, but I suspect some do. It's a good idea to ask. But citric acid is being used in many processed foods like canned tomatoes and some lettuces are dipped in it before packaging to make it stay fresher longer.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page