Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mitochondria & metabolic illness

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Mitochondria & metabolic illness « Previous Next »

Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090211094040.htm

It talks about mitochondria and how low levels of glutathione can be used to predict metabolic illnesses, because of the free radicals produced by faulty mitochondria.

Jennifer
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mitochondria are key to the vaccine-autism link.

The mitochondria have a glutamate-cystine cycle which is completely disrupted by excess glutamate. It stops the inflow of cystine, cystine is usually converted to cysteine - the precursor to taurine and glutathione. This is exactly how MSG affects the mitochondria adversely AND also contributes to heavy metal toxicity form ANY source. It indirectly prevents the formation of glutathione and taurine, both found to be low in kids with autism. Especially the ones with heavy metal toxicity and/or epilepsy.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2004-10-21-mutation-and-illness_x.htm

Here's another article, that suggests that many diseases, such as heart disease and high cholesterol, etc., are in fact caused by genetic mutations in the mitochondria. I think it's terribly misleading to call it a mutation - more like a variant, that until recently, was not a liability based on diet.

Well the physicists can't do it, but I think we're rapidly gaining grounds on a provable "unified theory of everything"....

Jennifer
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like sulfite sensitivity is a MITOCHONDRIAL disorder.

Everything in the media goes on and on about mitochondrial disorders, but you never, ever find out WHAT disorder they're referring to specifically. I'm sure there's hundreds, but looks like I can now tell people with as much accuracy was what the media puts out, that I can't eat that because I have "a mitochondrial disorder". I want on the bandwagon, too.

Yes, this is a bit of a rant. My apologies.

Jennifer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=protein&cmd=Link&LinkName=protein_gene&from_uid=74099694

Summary Sulfite oxidase is a homodimeric protein localized to the intermembrane space of mitochondria. Each subunit contains a heme domain and a molybdopterin-binding domain. The enzyme catalyzes the oxidation of sulfite to sulfate, the final reaction in the oxidative degradation of the sulfur amino acids cysteine and methionine.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahah! Jennifer, you are a Godsend. I knew that the sulfur problem was related to MSG sensitivity, and that MSG reactions mimicked taurine deficiency - or cysteine metabolism problems, but not exactly HOW.
So, now we know that the "mitochondrial" disorder IS the inability to handle the sulfur containing amino acids: cysteine, and methionine, which are used to make glutathione and taurine.

So children with a "metabolic" syndrome like little Hannah Poling, may have an inability to make taurine and glutathione. So, we should perhaps supplement the diet with taurine and glutathione because these kids can't make them. AND we should NOT give these Tylenol when vaccinating them with glutamate in the vaccines, because both glutamate and tylenol interfere with the ability to make glutathione.

Interesting. You guys still make me think.....
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I sent you an email that puts many of my posts (or rather ideas) into one document. Just wanted to make sure it didn't bounce as spam -

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, Is you IQ about 160? You are so smart.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hubby says there's actually three different kinds of intelligence....

There's "Clever" folk - you know, the unlearned people that didn't go above the 6th grade, but they can rebuild a motor. Especially if it goes on a monster truck.

There's "Wise", and you pretty much earn that through experience.

And there's "Smart". A lot of engineers are smart.

My goal before I die is to get a good balance of all of the above. I think I'm mostly clever at doing research (and I *can* rebuild some motors), and fair-to-middlen smart - smart enough to understand the gist of the articles I find. Probably above the average, but I think it's simply because I Like to learn new things. I'm not old enough to have a terribly large amount of wisdom yet.

Also, look at most of the posts on this board - just about everyone here has an excellent command of the English language with grammar and spelling. You all are pretty smart. :-)

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've got that right. :-) Jennifer, if you have the time, would you send your document to me? You are truly a Godsend to this board. And thanks for taking the time to summarize some of these studies.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't had a chance yet to read all the emails - I've got a lot this week, but I will ASAP.

In other news - I found out that the police contact is legit and that they had been in contact with John today. I think this is actually all getting straightened out, (THANK GOD!)It has been a little too exciting for me. I could use a nice boring week. :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You deserve a vacation, Carol and so does John. Have you heard from him at all? I still have so many questions.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't heard from him yet today. I don't know where he is, but I will call the VA Beach Police and see what the status is.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is still worrisome.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I didn't understand about the police contact and he/she being in contact with John. How did the contact know how to reach him? Was it by phone?
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. I actually have an update as of tonite. I just got off the phone with John. He is doing fine. There is supposedly an ongoing investigation now and the Virginia Beach Police Department Internal Affairs is involved. He is still trying to get them to release his car - which they want $400 bucks for. Nice, huh? Apparently, the police there are now treating him with kid gloves, aside from the car thing - very different from last week.

I told John of your concern and he got somewhat choked up. I am hoping John gets his phone and internet access back soon so he can blog here again. I told him you all were anxious for news.
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer,

Could you please email me your theory of thought on "Looks like sulfite sensitivity is a MITOCHONDRIAL disorder." I have been battling some issues and it looks like I'm back at the which came first, the egg or the chicken issue. Any new input seems to add another piece to the clue. Thank you.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 1:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still meaning to write you Duchess..

I need to find the link in my notes, but sulfites inhibit the production of a substance called alpha-ketoglutarate, which is part of the Kreb's cycle for energy production. I also found a PDF file recently posted on Carol's site that talks about this. Posting from a smartphone, I don't have much free time with the real computer -

Jennifer
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 1:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sulfites also inhibit the enzyme that converts glutamate into glutamine (IIRC), GAD I think....maybe that was the article on Carol's site...

Jennifer
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 4:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Jennifer. All pieces of the puzzle help.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 1:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Duchess,

I just sent you some notes I have accumulated. I can't for the life of me find anything on sulfites inhibiting the production of glutamine from glutamate. If anyone has heard of that please let me know so I can quit thinking I'm crazy! But sulfites do knock out GAD, but that's the one involved in alpha-ketoglutarate.
Cheers,

Jennifer
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 6:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, would you be willing to send me the notes too? lstroyan at gmail dot com.

According to my son's genetic tests, he is not supposed to have high-sulfur foods, but honestly we've never had any reaction to things like garlic, onion, broccoli. I'm not sure what the connection between sulfur and sulfites are, really as I've focused on the glutamate stuff primarily.

But earlier this week we went to Glenwood Hot Springs which are very high sulfur and he did fine, but then, he didn't have glutamate at the same time (not free glutamate, anyway). So I'm not sure how much to worry about sulfur etc, but would like any info I can get my hands on.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page