Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Red Clover Blocks Neurological Damage...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Red Clover Blocks Neurological Damage From MSG « Previous Next »

Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The study

The June 5, 2008 edition of Phytomedicine reports a study based on an idea generated by the knowledge that estrogen has been shown to affect neuronal growth, differentiation and survival. Genistein, diadzein and other isoflavones have been shown to mimic the pharmacological actions of the steroid estrogen, due to their similarity of structure. So, researchers hypothesized that the natural mixture of phytoestrogenic isoflavones found in red clover could protect the brain from glutamate toxicity. They used a human cortical cell line to test the efficacy of the red clover. Neuronal viability was determined and neuronal membrane damage was quantitatively measured.

The results obtained indicated that exposure of the cell cultures to glutamate resulted in concentration-dependent decreases in neuron viability. Concentrations of glutamate ranging from 0.01 to 5 mm were toxic to the cultures. However, when the cells were pretreated with 0.5, 1 and 2 mug/ml of the isoflavone enriched fraction from red clover, there was a significantly increased cell survival and significantly decreased release of cellular lactate dehydrogenase, an indicator of cell damage. This indicates that the neurons treated with red clover isoflavones were protected from the cell death induced by glutamate exposure. In addition, the pretreatment with the isoflavone enriched fraction prevented the morphological disruption caused by glutamate as shown in microscopic inspection.

Here's the link to the full story:
http://www.naturalnews.com/024275.html
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting!

I wonder how estrogen levels affect our sensitivity to glutamate. I had my well woman exam recently and my NMD thought that I might have high progesterone/ low estrogen after I told her some of the symptoms that I've been having.... maybe there's a link to my glutamate sensitivity.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Becky,
Over the years I have also been told that my estrogen levels were low. There is a common belief these days that most women are suffering from too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. I am going into menopause at the moment - maybe I should check with an endocrinologist or better yet, check out the possibility of starting bioidentical hormone therapy (a la Suzanne Sommers).

Thanks for bringing up this point - definitely food for thought.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Becky,

I just did a search for estrogen on this Forum and found some other posts to corroborate the link between low estrogen levels and glutamate sensitivity.

Deb S wrote:

Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 12:53 pm:   

Deb A and Carol H - The MSG-GABA-growth hormone theory could explain the abnormal growth of fibrous muscle tissue that is fibroids. They "think" that estrogen causes them to grow, but I wonder if there is an interplay of estrogen/glutamate/GABA at work. I note a connection with estrogen in that for many years I had 2-3 day migraines only during the time in my cycle that estrogen was at the lowest levels, particularly when I was taking oral contraceptives (it was during the week off). After further chemical injury through pesticide exposure, the migraines began appearing at other times as well. I wonder if estrogen somehow helps convert glutamate to GABA? And when the estrogen drops off, excess glutamate builds up causing reaction symptoms.

From Carol H:

Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 7:13 am:   

Judy T, did you see the other link on CNNs page about women who don't receive hormone replacement therapy have a 2.5 times greater risk of Alzheimers? It appears estrogen has a protective effect against Alzheimers. Now - Check this link out: http://pharmweb.usc.edu/brinton-lab/PDF_Files.html Check out link #3 under estrogen for a PDF file. Estrogen has a glutamate blocking effect.
I think they really better check that vaccine for glutamate. They are probably dosing those poor people with the stuff that gave them their disease. Glutamate, by messing with the hypothalamus and increasing prolactin levels definitely lowers estrogen levels. A definite risk. Another case of glutamate carrying its own key to get around the body and do maximum damage.

P.S. The link that Carol recommends above is no longer valid but I found the article at this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060503202206/pharmweb.usc.edu/brinton-lab/Robbie's+PDF+Files/Estrogen/Endocrinology+143(1)+205-212+2002+Jan.pdf
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't Suzanne Sommers get breast cancer? Not so sure she has the right answers.

I personally don't believe we should play around with hormones. I think if we concentrate on healthy foods - our bodies are smart and in most cases can heal and take care of themselves.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone else see Suzanne Sommers on TV recently touting her new book, Breakthrough? I bought it yesterday and have only read the chapter on neurotoxins. She quotes Dr. Blaylock and even discusses the glutamate/cancer connection...suggesting that she may have benefited from knowing this information sooner.
BTW, I use the Climara patch for estrogen, and had cut the lowest dosage into 4ths in an effort to wean myself from it. After a couple months, I gained weight, began to have more MSG type reactions, including cloudy thinking at times, and of course, was flushing all the time. My doctor upped my estrogen dosage and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. I did a search awhile back, and some doctor said that Climara was bio-identical...probably made from soy, which I avoid...but the glutamate level must be tolerable.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cherylin,
Thanks for the information! Yeah, it's true that I've "heard" that most women have too much estrogen, not enough progesterone. I thought it was strange that I was the opposite - maybe - I haven't had my hormone levels officially checked yet.

Anyway, I may have to give this red clover a try!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page