Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

More drugs for obesity and addiction

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » More drugs for obesity and addiction « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 24.5.150.65
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080820163103.htm
A new drug that supposedly helps with obesity and addiction. It's name is Vigabatrin. It has the word GABA right in the name.
From Wikipedia:
Vigabatrin is an anticonvulsant that inhibits the catabolism of GABA. It is an analog of GABA, but it is not a receptor agonist.[1]
Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted From: 24.5.150.65
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a link to an abstract - there was a phrase that caught my attention - on ibuprofen blocking glutamate toxicity:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T0G-411X8XT-Y&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=26853fe1a6a8696f783c81a4f5839a39

"All three NSAIDs significantly attenuated the decrease in dopamine uptake caused by glutamate, indicating preservation of neuronal integrity."

So glutamate causes dopamine uptake? As far as I recall, dopamine is responsible for addictive behaviors, as well as activating the "pleasure center", and many other things I'm sure. Well that could explain glutamate-induced depression, as well as addictive behaviors.

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, Thanks for posting the link and then elaborating on it. I certainly learned something valuable today.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great link, Jennifer. I couldn't get the first link about the new drug to open, though. Hope it's still there.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NEED TO SEND TO WASHINGTON POST about glutamate blockers.

I totally forgot to add anything in my post to the Wash. Post about the glutamate blocker drugs. Help, please. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page