Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Genetically Modified Food and soon pe...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Genetically Modified Food and soon people « Previous Next »

Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not to depress all of us more, but we need to get involved and stay involved. I found out about this website, and on here is a link to EASILY write a letter to almost all of the companies who use genetically modified foods--and it is a LOT!
direct link to sign and send letter:
http://www.dontplantgmobeets.org/takeaction.cfm

The homepage of the site, Responsible Technology:
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFree/Home/index.cfm

Biotechnology on your plate:
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/DocumentFiles/156.pdf

Jeffrey Smith has done studies and proven that mice testes are affected by genetically altered foods:
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/Home/index.cfm

Please, we all need to start telling everyone we know about this. Thanks.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 5:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a new disease out (Morgellons Disease) that is believed to be linked to GMO foods. It is disturbing that GMO's are already in a lot of our foods without the publics knowledge. But, I guess that's nothing new considering how MSG is hidden. Thankfully by avoiding MSG and processed foods, we already avoid foods that likely contain GMO ingredients (more often than not, the following are usually GMO's: canola, corn, soy, cottonseed). BUT, the list of GMO foods will be growing and like Lisa Marie said, we need to be involved. One way, if you're not already boycotting Monsanto products (Round UP, etc.), it's a start. They also genetically engineer crop seeds and haven been able to get a patent on it so that farmers have to purchase the seed each year. It's disgusting what these types of companies are allowed to get away with. Thanks for the great topic Lisa Marie.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is how they test whether GM foods are safe for humans.

1. They feed the GM foods to mice.
2. The mice that eat the GM foods die.
3. Conclusion from this experiment: The GM foods are safe for humans.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry, you are a stitch. You get me every time.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen Jerry, what other conclusion can they draw? Again, I hope everyone will follow that link and send out the letter.
I agree Dianne, it is just plain criminal what Monsanto (and others) are doing.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for posting these links, what great articles.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oy vey - they're already working on subjecting us to cloned meat.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/24/business/clone.php
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WE all avoid most GM food mostly because we eat whole foods, but what about the millions who don't. No wonder our society, both kids and adults, are becoming so mentally and emotionally unstable. Here is an article about an elementary school experiment.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_14507.cfm
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 7:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First go here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SetYouFreee#g/u

Then type "GM Food Dangers".

Then listen to the series of videos. You will be shocked.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is a link to a really good article on the subject:

www.disabled-world.com/fitness/gm-foods.php

it is a simply written summary of the history of GMOs and also has a pretty good list of the genetically modified crops commonly grown, as of Sept 2009.

altho, it is not a complete list- i know i read somewhere awhile back that Monsanto is 'negotiating' the rights to do GM Millet, Cassava & Yam in africa...
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 12:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As if Africa didnt have enough problems without throwing GM crops into the soup. Puts me in mind of the nestle baby milk horror!!! Will we, the west, ever learn??? makes my blood boil!!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 12:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As if Africa didnt have enough problems without throwing GM crops into the soup. Puts me in mind of the nestle baby milk horror!!! Will we, the west, ever learn??? makes my blood boil!!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 9:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, and it would seem that M. is strategically placing itself in a position to 'wield the staff of life' over us all...
have you all noticed the heavy emphasis placed on starch & grain crops?

something very few of us really have the ability to grow & store (& grind) on our own

maybe those of you whose metabolisms actually function better without grains or starches are better off than it might sometimes seem?
(small consolation when passing the bakery, i know :-(
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the fresh bakery is a real point of torture for us. The kids look longingly at the croissants (as do i!!) but we just cant go there. They have to make do with a banana on the fruit and veg aisle instead. They eat them happily enough, but i know they would really prefer a croissant like they used to have. :-(
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just found this GMO shopper's guide from the True Food Network/ Center for Food Safety, current through 2009...
it lists in separate columns: GM vs GMO-free for various food categories of brands & companies, as well as specific ingredients to watch out for

these guys are great... i LOVE how they break it all down- this guide is going with me to the market from now on!

http://truefoodnow.org/shoppers-guide/

http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/web_new-ge-booklet.pdf
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooh, ummmmm... croissants... SOOO hard to find safe ones! every once in a great while we will bite the bullet and pay the cost for good ones at an organic bakery, but its hard to justify such an extravagance very often.
the ones at any of the markets are all loaded with such horrible stuff! sigh... its sad...

ali, are you able to get plantains where you live? they look like a hideous monster banana, and must be cooked before eating... but they are yummy and can be used in lots of different ways!!

its hard to describe the flavor... they arent sweet, or creamy, like their cozins... more like a young potato with a faint banana essence. we all love them!

plus they keep in the basket well, and can be used at every stage. our favorite is fried in butter (sort of like those croissants... well not really... but YUM - especially if served with rice!

they can be used green, half ripe, or fully ripe (which means black skins that look rotten :-). they only have to be tossed if they get mushy. really tho, they are sooper easy to use, and lots of delicious puerto rican recipes can be found online

also, while we are talking about latin food... is your family able to tolerate wheat at all? even a croissant cant compare to a REAL hand-made traditional tortilla, hot off the griddle....

i dont mean those things in the plastic wrappers. i mean, flour- salt- oil- water, nothing else, cooked on a hot stone. they are easy enough to learn to make at home, altho its a bit of an art to get them really thin. but thick ones are just as good, they can be used for tortas instead. or just snacking. mmmmm
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 1:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bo'nana, We dont have a wheat issue as such. At least the children dont, its all the other horrible stuff in the bakery bread thats the issue for them. I finally found a Polish bakery that has good safe bread so i dont have tomake it. Ive tried, but the results are poor (im no natural baker!! ) and i find it just too time consuming with three kids.

I have a problem with white bread and flour. It gives me IBS symptoms every time i try it. But i have no issues with wholemeal or whole grain. So we pretty much stick to that at home. Just that before i realised the bakery bread was a trigger for Isla my youngest, i would hand them a croissant at the beginning of the supermarket shop and they miss it and dont really understand why they cant have them. Isla is only 20 months and i have to race past the "fresh" bakery section before she starts pointing and shouting. Bless her.

We dont get plantains here in our little supermarket. Not sure if they are available in the bigger stores. Ill look out for them as they sound like something the kids would love. I think on the way to Dublin i pass a Caribbean shop and i wonder if they have them. Ill look. Ive just copied your mail, so should i find them ill know what to do with them.

Ive never made tortillas. Ill have to give that a go one of these days.Can they be made with wholegrain flour. I will buy some unbleached organic flour the next time im in the big store. Produce is so limited in our small village it not something they stock. Im interested to know do i have an issue with organic unbleached flour. Im hoping not!! We shall see.

Thanks for all the tips Bo'nana. Oh one more thing, what do you mean by "a hot stone?" Ive just a regular four hob cooker and fan oven.
ali
x
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 9:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi again ali...
well, the stones are traditional and do add a certain 'something' to the tortillas... but a good cast iron griddle or large skillet would work just as well. it just has to heat very hot & evenly, becoz the tortillas cook fast. i have used a nonstick skillet but it is not the same....(nonstick is probly a chemical no-no anyway... cant wait to trade out mine!)

what you said about the unbleached flour rings a bell with me... i wonder if the bleaching could be the thing in flour that bothers you? or possibly the variety of wheat used?

a few years back when we were trying to sort out all my son's tic triggers & allergies... 2 different Naturopaths said we should avoid wheat proteins... but wouldnt you know the whole Gluten Free thing just made it all worse (we didnt know about all the processing residues & gums & fillers then)

but then we discovered that he could eat plain white sourdough bread freely, with NO problems... and later realized that plain white flour tortillas are also ok...

then we moved up to the NW and found Bobs Red Mill just up the road - ive been successfully using both their Organic Unbleached White and their Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour ever since :-)

so what i have wondered is whether bleaching residues in conventional flours bother him &/or is it the type of wheat being used for the organics and the pastry flours versus the regular kind? ...Bobs uses a 'soft white winter wheat' for their pastry flour and the unbleached organic white, but a 'hard red winter wheat' for their regular whole wheat- and neither my son nor i tolerate that one very well.

i wonder if any of that even made much sense? heh... well, i would love to know what you discover when you try your flour experiment... and let me know how the plantains go over too
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 9:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It made perfect sense. Ive wondered the same things. Thats why i am on the hunt for organic unbleached. I never had a problem wiht white flour in Holland were we lived for 12 years. But from that first loaf here in Ireland ive had issues. So much so that i havent eaten anything white flour based here for five year. It seemed odd that i had no problem in one country but do in another. Makes me think it is something in the processing plant that causes the problem rather than the wheat. Or as you say it could be the variety of wheat. I guess i will have to hunt out a few different flours and use myself as the proverbial guinea pig once again!!! Ill keep you posted on what i discover. Will be a week or so before i get to the city to the "proper" store!!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soon you won't be able to trust apples, either.

http://www.notanotherconspiracy.com/2010/11/genetically-modified-apple-wont-brown.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 2:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what do you suppose that means- "silencing the enzymes"- ???
i have enough trouble allready getting enough digestive enzymes to function! yikes!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

guess it won't be long before we are bombarded with GMOs, sickening isn't it? pun intended
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey all...
i havent been around in awhile tho my thoughts are often with y'all
here's an article from Whole Foods that stimulated me to get back on here and share
more info on the Cloned Meat sitch...

www.wholefoodsmarket.com/values/cloned-meat.php
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 6:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Subject: Please sign this petition from Sen. Merkley

Any day now, the Senate will vote to take away our right to know if GMO ingredients are in our food. It's outrageous.

That's why I just signed an important petition urging Congress to reject the DARK Act -- dangerous anti-GMO labeling legislation -- and support mandatory GMO labeling requirements introduced by progressive champion Sen. Jeff Merkley.

I think you should too: https://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/tell-congress-we-deserve-to-know-label-gmo-food?sp_ref=179225305.4.162081.e.510303.2&source=mailto_sp
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 9:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

VICTORY: The DARK Act was blocked in the Senate.
Dear Tom,

Great news! The Senate voted Wednesday to block the DARK Act from moving forward.

By a stunning 48-49 vote, senators took a critical procedural vote on this dangerous legislation that would block GMO labeling, and it failed to reach the required 60-vote threshold.

We couldn’t have done this without your activism. CREDO activists generated hundreds of thousands of petition signatures and more than 1,000 calls to key senators urging them to protect our right to know what’s in our food, including GMO ingredients. Several of the senators who were on the fence and received calls from CREDO activists in the past week voted to block the bill from moving forward.

:-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 7:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Tom.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 4:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bravo! I signed the Petition. So happy to hear someone in Gov't is finally listening! Thanks for the updates, Tom.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page