Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Blood-Brain Barrier and ALS

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Blood-Brain Barrier and ALS « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080407101842.htm

Here's a new study which shows a faulty blood-brain barrier causes ALS. In mice, anyway. The same guy apparently linked the BBB to Alzheimer's in an earlier study. This gives even more credence (as if there weren't enough already) to Blaylock's theory of excitotoxins not being excluded and wreaking havoc with neurons.

Jennifer
prg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doing some reading about glutamate and the blood-brain barrier; the BBB does keep glutamate in the bloodstream from entering the brain. Same with most neurotransmitters in the bloodstream. A neuroscientist acquaintance of mine told me this. So you wouldn't think glutamate excitotoxicity of brain cells would be an issue.

BUT

there are parts of the hypothalamus that don't have a BBB--AND certain conditions (ALS, alzheimer's, certain drugs) are from somewhat to fairly solidly implicated in disrupting the BBB.

Google "hypothalamus" and you will see that a lot of the symptoms we have are related to the function of the hypothalamus and the autonomic nervous system and the limbic system. (My primary presenting symptoms are depression and a general feeling of malaise, which are definitely related to hypothalamic function).

Just a few words from a natural skeptic...(that is, someone whose brain has no choice but to have a skeptical prove-it-to-me way of thinking...)

--prg
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blood brain barrier has issues with blood sugar increases and decreases also so
the possibility exists that anyone can have too much or too little insulin at some time and allow the glutamate through the gates
Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Blaylock's book, he explains that under chronic levels of high glutamate, then yes, glutamate will eventually seep through the BBB. This was confirmed with actual studies, though I don't remember if it was with rats or people. Probably rats. It does protect from transient spikes of glutamate, but when it's constantly high for weeks on end, the levels of glutamate in the spinal fluid go up.

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So...what?....are you all scientists? I'm so impressed with all your knowledge - keep it up, I'm learning so much.
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope. You don't have to be a scientist to learn. I just wanted to know what the heck was wrong with me, why I was depressed for almost two decades, and why I was in too much pain to work. God bless the internet. Though it took me nearly two years to get it all figured out.

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am grinning so wide right now, you would not believe it. :-) :-) I have to pinch myself right now. Tom and Carol will understand what I'm feeling. When I think back many years ago when we started this web site with a hope and a dream that people would find us, I am so amazed at what has evolved since then. I remember being so excited if we sold one or two book in a month period back in 1997. Now we can barely keep up with orders...especially when Dr. Mercola links our site, or some media news about MSG is printed. I just learned that there are more than 6 health books about diet that include our website as a reference. I know this sounds crazy, but I am thankful that I got sick. If I hadn't, Mike and I would never have gotten to know so many amazing individuals or helped others realize that their doctors diagnoses were not always correct. With your help, we have been able to change some lives for the better. And the caliber of you posters is so high...with the exception of the occasional glute visitor. We are ALL making a huge difference, when just a short time ago, we often felt like we were just spitting in the wind. Can you tell I'm a bit happy?!...and I have hope for the future that MSG will be exposed for what it is..just hope I see the day for myself..if not, I know it will come anyway! Keep spreading the word, guys! People ARE listening and there is a real health movement happening. Thanks for all your support of others here.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page