Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glutamate link to bipolar disorder

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Glutamate link to bipolar disorder « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080312081256.htm

Thought I'd pass this along since it specifically mentions glutamate receptors.

My favorite quote from the article is, "...recent research in mood disorders suggests that the glutamatergic system may play a role in causing mood disorders."

Well Duh! At least for me I found MSG removal from my diet had a profound impact on my "emotional well-being". MSG makes me cry, even if not particularly upset by anything. Used to be very, very disconcerting before I knew what caused it.

Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and here's ANOTHER article. My meltdown in my health could have been diagnosed as fibromyalgia, if I had hung in with conventional medicine long enough.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080310112658.htm

No wonder the food industry is pushing Umami articles lately.
Jennifer
Sheri N
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the really interesting link to the fibromyalgia article. I immediately copied it. It's amazing how glutamate continues to be implicated in symptom after symptom. But it's still hard to convince anyone of the danger of ingesting it, especially when they don't have any major health problems--not yet anyway!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They don't get it that MSG is so prevalent in our foods. I believe that researchers are no different than the average consumer who believes that MSG is mainly in Eastern Asian foods and a few flavored chips. Most would probably be shocked to see the glutamate overload in most meals today. That's the big problem.....making the connection to glutamate from foods sources.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,

If you want feel free to use the page I created about where glutamate comes from.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, my son was very happy to read the article linking glutamate to fibromyalgia. We sell our book here at his chiro office and he always refers patients he suspects are reacting to MSG to me, especially on my workdays. Several of his patients have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. He is having me make several copies of the article you linked and will hand them out now. Thanks so much for posting the article. We've been claiming the glutamate/FMSA link for several years, but it's nice to have some backing from science....so much is coming out about glutamate, I keep hoping the average person will begin to start asking more questions about it.
Anonymous

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080226184602.htm

This doesn't seem to be about MSG. But it seems as though scientists have discovered that a destroyed hypothalamus can cause obesity. They think it's caused by a gene. I wonder how long before they find out what's controlling the gene?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080205121745.htm

Another similar article. The implications are a possible treatment for people. Gee!

Deb, glad the article was helpful. If I may ask, are there any plans for another revision to your book in the near future? Thanks,

Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080313185753.htm

Gotta love it....

A Glutamate blocker for MS? Shocking!

When the food industry finally does fall, it's gonna be hard. But it won't happen even close to soon enough.

Jennifer
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw this article but couldn't find anything that said that ABS-75 was a glutamate blocker. Then when you posted this, I went back and looked again, but this time I looked up "NMDA receptor." Sure enough, it's a glutamate receptor. Thanks Jennifer.
Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering why they avoided using the word "glutamate". I can think of two reasons: They don't want the food industry coming after them, or they indirectly work with the food industry - and don't want consumers to know too much.

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly, Jennifer. As for our book, we update and revise it continually. We just added some more information last week. Some are not major changes, but we try to keep it updated. I'd like to work on another book...simple recipes that I am recording. But finding time to compile and edit...that's the problem. Besides answering email and phone calls, and checking in here, I work at my son's office and baby sit 2 grandchildren Fridays. I wish I had a few more hours in the day. But I am slowly adding to my idea and recipe pile.
Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, I'll order another copy sooner than later. I gave mine to a friend.

I've been reading the Sciencedaily web site for about two years during lunch at work. I've known about MSG for a year now. And it seems like it's only just been recently that all the glutamate articles have been released...like the past 2-3 months. Who is funding all this? Has to be the drug companies. This is ominous...The tobacco industry was all-powerful, and it was hard enough to bring them down, despite the fact that tobacco doesn't really have many attributes that could be used in medicine. Hope there is enough outrage that will force changes at the FDA. I guess we should all write our representatives. And the media. If enough people are upset, then it's news.

Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080317151933.htm

Just found this. It's about scientists that have created autistic mice. It's mostly about the behavior to support the claim that they now have an animal model.

How did they make these mice? They lack the gabrb3 gene. That's the GABA receptor gene. So the mice are probably just WAY overloaded with glutamate, since there's nothing produced to counteract it.

Jennifer
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ginger sent me this link to a great article in the NYTimes where they didn't shrink from using the word glutamate a million times. I think it is telling that the article is in the BUSINESS section and not the one on health. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/business/24drug.html?th&emc=th
Scizophrenia appears linked to glutamate. What is interesting is that PCP acts as a glutamate BLOCKER. What they don't mention is that lithium does too.

Boy, these scientists are so thrilled with themselves and are patting themselves on the back for "discovering" what Dr. Blaylock has been trying to tell them for years......
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, very interesting article, thanks
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All this research in the development of glutamate blockers, while the FDA continues to allow it to be poured into a majority of our processed food items....it's a crime.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page