Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glutamate and Brain Tumors

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Glutamate and Brain Tumors « Previous Next »

Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so, many of you might have seen my theory that MSG killed my aunt through an asthma attack caused by a big bucket of KFC. Tonight I was reading the acknowledgements in Deb's book and found something I was actually very afraid to know... the suspected link between MSG and brain tumors.

My mother died nearly eleven years ago at the age of 52 of two glioblastoma. Not one - two. She really never did anything half way. Glioblastoma are the tumors with the fingers that grow and creep into the brain, basically strangling parts of the brain until the person dies. You might have seen the movie Phenomenon - same kind of tumor. They can effectively remove the mass of the tumor but they are still working on an effective way to stop the growth of the fingers which are what do the real damage. I did a quick search and found this....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_22_164/ai_111503551

I feel sick, I feel angry, and I really want to sue the food industry for murder. Not only did it kill my aunt, MSG killed my mother.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Courtney,

The effect of glutamate on tumor cells has been known for years. The 2001 article linked below suggests the use of "Riluzole, a voltage-activated sodium channel inhibitor that blocks the release of glutamate (and) already in clinical use for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis":

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v7/n9/full/nm0901-994.html

It's not just brain tumors that are involved. In the study linked below, "glutamate stimulated the proliferation of lung carcinoma cells in a concentration-dependent manner":

Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 6:37 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSG may not cause cancer, but the link below implies that it may have a role in its growth.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=33475
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Courtney, go to page 59 in the book for more about the glutamate/cancer link.
You are not alone. MSG took my dad and my aunt. I can still remember their confusion and decline from the time they were in their 50's to their deaths when they were 70 and 71. Both struggled with anxiety, puffy faces and dark circles, sleeplessness, terrible headaches, itchy skin, irritable bowel, acid reflux, personality changes. Of their 5 siblings, those two were the ones who ate the most processed foods. They CRAVED MSG rich foods and ate them almost exclusively. Their siblings were in their 90's when they died. The oldest died last year at 100. I once asked her years ago how she stayed so young (this was before we knew about MSG). She said, "I eat like Mother did. I cook my own meats and vegetables and go easy on the sweets." Both had cancer...one of the colon and one of the esophagus...neither smoked.
Riluzole has been successfully used to treat obesity, as I recall. As we have claimed...MSG is the main cause for the obesity epidemic.
Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080201123215.htm

I'll try to post this again -

This article is interesting, a scientist pretty much says that excitotoxins cause Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. They discovered the structure of a glutamate inhibitor in the brain.

Jennifer
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy - I wish that the internet was then what it is now, she might still be here. She was diagnosed in 95 and died in 97. She was one of the "lucky" ones who lived longer than a year after diagnosis/surgery. I was only 20 when she was diagnosed and I was in a whole lot of denial and let her trust doctors. No good looking at the past, though. Must try to stop it from happening in the future!

Deb, I'm so sorry about your family. If we only had a couple of time machines....

Since last night I keep thinking about what my mom ate... she was a diet soda fiend, but couldn't have caffiene so drank "pepsi free" like it was going out of style (which as I recall switched from saccharin to aspartame somewhere in the mid- to late-80s), chewed sugar free gum, and thought boxed, frozen lean cuisines were the best thing ever. She was a single mom who hated to cook. She developed asthma in 92/93 and blamed my cat! (The cat has been falsely accused!), and she developed a "lanolin" allergy a few years prior. This was about the time the tumor would have been in development and massive growth mode. I don't think the timing is at all coincidental.

My grandmother was a brilliant cook, but she took to shortcuts as she got older... hmmm, about the time she was diagnosed with diabetes. My grandma's entire generation, if they didn't die in a war, developed type II diabetes in their 60s or 70s. She eventually died of colon cancer at 82. Cantankerous old broad - she should have been dead much sooner but she never was one to let go of anything! LOL.

They told me that glioblastoma are not hereditary. Which may be true. But looking over my family tree, I'm convinced that MSG sensitivity is. My aunt, my mom's only surviving sister, would have "monthly munchies" all month long and would eat a loaf of bread if she would eat a slice. My father suffers from SAD and my half sister was bulemic at age 8 and has had a life-long battle with food from what I understand. I'm not close to either of them, these are just the bits and pieces that I know. I think I had a double whammy of bad genetics. Luckily, I don't come from stupid stock so when I saw the answer right in front of me, I acted on it. It's stupid not to.

Jennifer, thanks for the link. There's a director at work whose wife is having a terrible battle with Parkinsons among other things and I need to make sure I speak with him about MSG. He's spending 20g a year for naturopathic treatment so he may already know, but I need to talk to him anyway. Can't assume anything.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Courtney, genetics may play a part, but so does age and diet, I think. I believe everyone will react negatively to excitotoxins to some degree, and for many it will cause a very slow and often unnoticeable decline until some serious condition is diagnosed and labeled as something else. In lab tests on animals, most of the first generation showed some mild reactions, which got worse with each successive generation. The last generation were sterile, had shortened limbs, were obese, couldn't handle mazes, and many died early. The fact that the successive animals were fed the same MSG tainted foods suggests that more is at work here: that MSG changes or mutates genes...we know that the wiring of the brain or other developing systems can be influenced or changed by viruses and environmental toxins. Children fed processed foods in the seventies were beginning to get the more dangerous amounts of MSG as compared to the 1st generation of people exposed to it in the late 40's. The third generation is getting even more. I was a 1st generation MSG guinea pig, with my children being the 2nd generation. They started showing symptoms much earlier than I did, while in their early teen. Is it any wonder that the 3rd generation of children today are the ones who are suffering so terribly from obesity, depression, behavioral problems, ADD, and so much more? Guess I must be in a venting mood today!
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, you have such a great way of explaining how everything connects and getting right to the heart of the matter. I can't thank you enough for doing what you do.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Lauren. That was nice to read. :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, LaurenC. That was nice to read. :-)
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb - you are a hero. Don't ever doubt that. You've earned your cape!

And as for everyone reacting - I believe that, too. I have people at work telling me they have no problems. I throw my mom out there and they scoff. My goal a few weeks ago was to rid the world of MSG. Just like I'm sure someone who first figured out smoking destroyed their family wanted to rid the world of cigarettes. My goal now is to eliminate the problem with education so that people can make a choice. It's one thing to not know what's in your food and to eat it and die from it - it's another thing to know what's in your food and eat it anyway.

I'm a fan of autonomy and choice - I just want to make sure that people know their choices and make them according to what they want for themselves and for their children. If they choose to eat poison, I can't stop them. But they might think twice before they do it.

I'm spreading this information like a virus. Thanks for helping to start an epidemic! ;-) Expect a large book order from me in the next week or so. I'm contagious! :-) My big mouth is good for something after all. ;-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hahaha! Courtney, you're amazing and have a great sense of humor..which will sure serve you well as you talk to the people in your circle and beyond. That circle will widen, even when you think no one is really listening at times. Hero, I don't know about that, but I still have the funny cape my daughter made for me many years ago with the words, "MSG Avenger" on it! :-) Thanks for the compliment. Yes, education is the key, and thanks to you and all of you caring individuals who are working hard to make a difference and literally save people's lives, the word is spreading. The world is in need of lots of different kinds of "heroes"...hats off to all of you here. Don't be afraid of what people say or think. Just open your mouths! Write that article, email information, make a website or blog space, or write your congressmen...whatever your skills are, we need you. People are really starting to listen!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page