Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Scientists Make Brain-Gut Connection ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Scientists Make Brain-Gut Connection to Autism « Previous Next »

Judith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now if they only check for a few other foods...but still great to have some validation. Those on the list will find this very interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/09/27/autism-study.html
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're getting closer.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They still keep ignoring the fact that the genes code for glutamate neurotransmission synapses in the brain. And that wheat and dairy are very high in glutamate. They keep ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
Lisa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This research involved injection of propionic acid (PPA) directly into the brains of rats resulting in behavioral, biochemical, neuropathologic, and EEG changes that resemble autism in humans. Since my son has autism and is very sensitive to dietary glutamate, I was very interested to read in this study that PPA is known to "increase NMDA receptor sensitivity" and could "increase glutamatergic transmission and provide plausible mechanisms for neural hyperexcitability and the observed epileptiform activity". In addition, PPA, a weak organic acid, readily crosses the blood-brain barrier and could potentially reduce intracellular pH in the brains of individuals with altered PPA metabolism. "The effect of intracellular pH reduction in the CNS is complex and includes increased release of glutamate ...."
Whether my son's root problem is a disorder of propionic acid metabolism or not, glutamate definitely seems to be part of it.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was very encouraged that some info may be spilling into the general public. A couple of days ago an acquaintence told me that her grandson had autism and "his parents were limiting his glutamine or glutamate". So then we had a little discussion about the connection and other maladies caused by free glutamate. While I was saddened to hear about her grandson it was actually refreshing to be able to talk with someone who seemed to be aware of the consequences and who didn't brush off everything with a flippant attitude.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just some happy news to share...we have a new grandson, Matthew Chase! (our youngest son and his wife)Unfortunately, they live in Dallas. He has a year left in chiropractic school. Hopefully, they will be moving closer. We feel too young to have 15 grandchildren! I remember 14 years ago being so ill from MSG that I was afraid I wouldn't be around or just too sick to enjoy ANY grandchildren.
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations!!! 15 grandkids? That's.... quite a full house at the holidays. LOL. I can't even imagine. But congrats to all of you!
Rose
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 5:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats Deb and family, 15 grandchildren! That's a wonderful thing! Are you going to get to visit soon?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Courtney and Rose. Hope we can visit soon. Yes, it is a full house, but luckily, my daughter opens her much-larger-than-our house, for family gatherings, although they all still like to "squeeze" into ours.:-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page