Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

They found the gene for asthma

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » They found the gene for asthma « Previous Next »

Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2737124.ece

This link to glutamate is not as clear-cut as the genes for autism. Basically, the gene is believed to be involved with the folding of proteins in the membrane of the endoplasmic reticulum, which if you remember high school biology class, is the folded network of membranes throughout the cytoplasm of the cell. The key here is that this is where the calcium metabolism occurs - which is involved with the contraction of muscles. Glutamate is a calcium channel opener. I am guessing that it is this link to calcium that is the key here. Asthma is described as a contraction or constriction of airways in the lungs. I think it is this contraction and link to calcium channels that is where the connection is and why MSG affects those individuals with asthma. It also explains that no matter what - I just don't test positive for asthma. I don't have that particular gene that makes me have an asthma attack from MSG. And so - here too, MSG may make asthma progressively worse, but only if you originally have the gene for it. Boy, this is getting more interesting every minute. The genome project is giving us clues nearly every day. I suspected it would but even I am really excited by how far we have come this year. Let's see how this pans out, but I am putting my bets on the calcium angle.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very intersting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page