Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Folic acid/B-12

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Folic acid/B-12 « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A - I think you have commented before on folic acid supplementation --- thought you and others here may find this of interest:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/1/3#R24
Folic acid fortification: the good, the bad, and the puzzle of vitamin B-12
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fascinating! All we hear is that folate will protect a developing fetus from developing certain problems, and that it can protect us as we age. However, if our serum B12 level is low, folic acid intervention can harm us. And when I read the scientific word for folate, I was startled. I didn't realize is has glutamic acid as part of its makeup, did you?...or did I read that incorrectly? Thank you MEMorris! Again, I say that getting our nutrients from real food and lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains and nuts is the best way we can maintain our health...forget all the hype about supplements!
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:wpjQ4Rh_KzQJ:www.dosfolat.de/literature/WWT-paper-2004.pdf+pteroylglutamic+acid+%2B+msg&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=15

"Folic acid belongs to the group of water-soluble B vitamins (formerly known as vitamin B9 orVitamin BC) and refers to a group of over 100 compounds with very similar properties (folates).The term "folates" refers to the folic acid derivatives occuring naturally in plant and animalnutrition, whereas the term "folic acid" refers only to pteroylglutamic acid. Folic acid stands forfor N-[4-(2-amino-3,4-dihydro-4-oxo-6-pteridinylmethylamino)-benzoyl]-L-glutamic acid andbesteht of a 2-Amino-4-hydroxypteridine ring to which the amino group of p-aminobenzoic acidis bonded via the C6 methylene group and where the carboxyl group forms an amide bond withL-glutamic acid. The substructure formed by the pteridine ring system and p-aminobenzoic acidis referred to as pteroic acid (Figure 1).The first building block of folic acid, the pteridine ring, is the basic skeleton of the pteridinesand is found in hormones and insect dyes. The second building block of folic acid, p-aminobenzoic (PABA), is a key growth hormone for bacteria (also previously known as growthhormone H or vitamin H'). Bacteria require PABA for the synthesis of folic acid. L-glutamicacid, the final folic acid component, is an important transmitter in the central nervous system. Itis also used in the food industry as a flavor enhancer, mostly in the form of monosodiumglutamate (MSG).etc. etc.

Way over my head!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page