Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glutamate Blockers in the news - AGAIN

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Glutamate Blockers in the news - AGAIN « Previous Next »

Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The latest "blockbuster" Type II diabetes drug called Januvia from Merck which doesn't cause weight gain is from a new class of DPP-IV inhibitor drugs. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/18merckcnd.html?hp&ex=1161144000&en=aaf35f39eba3c6da&ei=5094&partner=homepage

DPP-IV inhibitors work by increasing levels of GLP-1, a protein which, as I suspected when I saw the news, protects neurons from glutamate induced cell death. http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15325950

Another Glutamate blocker drug to treat an "epidemic" disease. If they didn't know glutamate was so bad, why do they keep making drugs that protect us from it?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They still accept the FDA's conclusion that glutamate from food does not cross the blood brain barrier, I suspect. It's insane to think that they have not read any of results of hundreds of tests done on animals over the years that prove otherwise.
It smacks of a coverup to me.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the "blood brain barrier"? And would that prohibit the MSG from causing "any" unwanted effects anywhere in the body?
lauragail4350
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 7:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abilify is a new glutamate blocker. I think I could get a script for it....Im tempted....thoughts??? Benadryl has been working for me to stop/prevent the msg reaction i get (bad headaches) and from reading on here it seems to be the fact that it is a glutamate blocker. (i take zyrtec, another antihistimine, daily but it is not a glutamate blocker, and doesnt give me the same relief) benadryl makes me too sleepy to use with every meal (although i have considered it....) id just like to eat 'normally' again. i definitely would do my best to avoid glutamate still, but to not be able to try one appetizer when im out, etc, gets so frustrating :-( has anyone had any luck taking glutamate blockers? the migraine research using a glutamate blocker

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/d/feature/i/1102/c/20753/

did not result in 100% effectiveness...and im not sure i want to take a medicine if i cant count on it preventing msg reactions for me...
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 9:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One industry provides the glutamate; another industry provides the glutamate blocker. That's cooperation. The FDA (Fraud and Deception Administration) puts its stamp of approval on both sides of this cooperation. All 3 are without honor (the ultimate Klingon insult).
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 2:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are always side effects with drugs...some as dangerous as eating MSG. But you are the only one that can decide...some have tried drugs only to find that the doctor will prescribe another drug for the side effects...then it's dependency on more of the same drugs or switching around and trying others. I hear from people all the time trying to get off some drug or other, but so afraid to.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 2:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my story last week - just to add more fuel to the discussion

I have been on gabapentin for years - been trying to get off it - it turns out to be a glutamate antagonist - found that out a month or so ago thanks to information here I was able to research more

my diet these days pretty much follows GARD and there are still some reactions

I had been gluten free since Feb 23 in earnest

Well my Rx changed brands of manufacturer and unknown to me the ingredients also changed - at the time I got the bottle I checked it out and the ingredients seemed okay - that was long as I had this cache to use while tapering off but was running out of the old manufacturer's supply I had

So last Monday night I took the first new capsule (dumped it out into mouth as usual) and that night was bad news. There were other things that could have set it off I thought so I put it in the back of my mind.

Tuesday morning I took the next one and that morning wasn't good. I had an appt and was dizzier than usual for it. That night I took another and well that night I didn't sleep at all. By Wednesday the BP spiked pretty high and I was shaking badly. I took the rest of the old bottle and planned them out to get off this stuff faster than planned.

Pregelatinzed starch and starch were ingredients in the new ones (cornstarch in the old one). Those set me off and the med in the capsule wasn't enough to stop the reaction. The first thing that came to mind with a glutamate reaction but it might have just been a gluten reaction or a combo of these.

Fewer meds is better imo. I am trying to get the diet in line and get rid of the meds - not just this past week but longer ago planned dream of mine.

I am probably not super coherent in writing this today as I am on the last part of getting off this med.

Oh, for anyone interested - this was a good source - most comprehensive I have found for ingredients in medications (this is the actual gabapentin I reacted too) but you can find many other things here with the search.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=13041
lauragail4350
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 4:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you guys, you're so right about the side effects. I am definitely keeping it all in mind, just thinking out loud at the moment, so glad to have all of you to 'talk' to :-)
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 6:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ibuprofen is helpful as a glutamate blocker, but don't recommend taking it, or anything else routinely to be able to continue adding poison (msg) to the body.

Your decision, as Deb stated, but it is highly recommended, by those of us who have been there, to value yourself and your health highly enough to forego the processed crap. Get used to the field green salad with olive oil salt and pepper, for example. Until you stop putting garbage into your system you will never know how truly good you can feel! There is light at the end of the tunnel and a huge reward for learning to enjoy the bounty of the earth that you were intended to eat.

I was using ibuprofen frequently as a preventative in case I "accidently" got some msg in a restaurant meal - until doc told me it could be contributing to the headaches I had started getting. I now take it only when I feel like I may have gotten some msg and believe a reaction is coming on, ie. at the first sign of stiffness in my neck or arms.

I think of it like quitting smoking - it's not easy, but it can be done! And the rewards are so worth it. Hang in there.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 6:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just to follow up on my post a few up

the pregelatinized starch in the new med is from corn and the starch is also

I tried one capsule again a couple days ago and got a spike in my blood pressure in 2 hours and am still shaking (tremors) from it - my BP was still high this morning

I tried to talk to the company today about this was a MSG reaction - total nonsense is the message I got back

I have a doc appt on Tuesday - new doc as old one is closing practice. It will be interesting to see what comes up and if s/he will script the med - the drug store carries the "bad" generic but said they would order the "good" one for me with a script. Otherwise I am out and in pretty severe pain at times.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 2:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara,

Over 90% of corn grown in the US is genetically modified and animals fed with GMO corn developed reactions such as high blood pressure:

http://trendsupdates.com/gmo-corn-european-commission-recommendation-rejected-by-a-majority-of-european-union-nations/
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can tolerate the other generic I had with corn starch. It is the pregelitenized I think is the problem. The corn starch used in my Rx pills is the only corn I have been consuming as far as I can determine.

There was an increase in dry mouth, tremors as well as the spike in blood pressure from taking the med over a couple days which I couldn't contribute to diet.

I seem to be very very glutamate sensitive. In working through this I have had to put an inordinate amount of restrictions in my diet for now.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara, are there any consistently "feel good foods" for you? anything that you find yourself reaching for becoz you know its going to make you feel better? if not yet... keep watching. you should be able to begin identifying more of those as the detoxing progresses...

for me it started with certain spices & herbs- garlic, basil, chiles, turmeric, cumin & cinnamon were my very first Really Good Things. then vegies & later on fruits, most recently certain seeds/nuts, dairy, sugars & fats... tho im still trying to sort through meats/grains probly becoz they are the most off-label adulturated foods... even when they are supposedly organic.

but once you are able to find that first thing that is truly consistent for you, your body will recognize the good feeling & it will become much easier to identify more as time goes on & you begin getting stronger again
keep hanging in there!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 2:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For me the number one feel good food is really a feel good cuisine. Upon finishing a meal in an Indian restaurant I notice obvious improvements. No other cuisine does this for me at all. It must be the heavily seasoned sauces as I can have the same foods without them and never feel any different.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 11:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

isnt that interesting! you know roy, ive never had too many opportunities for actual indian food- but, dont their spices heavily emphasize some of those same ones from the glutathione list?
turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, garlic, etc... plus probly a bunch of others not so common in other cuisine, or at least, not common to typical western eating
i bet the spices in those sauces must help to block or eliminate glutamate!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 12:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, per the link below the curcumin in curry protects against glutamate excitotoxicity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18420184
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 8:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i thought you might like this one too roy :-)
...all about Curry Powders & ingredients
www.lionsgrip.com/curingredients.html
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 11:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting, bo'nana. Thanks.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 2:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am still finding what foods are and aren't safe - I have other health issues I think preventing this from being an easy task. I expect a diagnosis of diabetes soon which is something I never have wanted to face. However, I also feel it was something that was missed by the previous person I had been seeing and I am half way expecting a diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy - at least I seem to have the s symptoms of it and it might be behind the burning mouth problems I have. I will know more as time goes on so all of this is speculation on my part.

I am frustrated and confused with all of it right now. I can see where something trigger reactions but then the reaction comes along and tracking down what is difficult. I can have reactions without having eaten anything yet that day. Even with this Rx med problem (which I am currently off of and that is creating its own set of problems and withdrawal symptoms) it is pretty clear to me that the Rx fillers were the cause of it but trying to convince a new doctor it was might be difficult.

The reactions come in the form of increase in burning mouth, dry mouth, face pain, and tremors which usually include spikes in blood pressure. Different foods seem to set off different reactions for example beans, nuts, seeds usually set off the face / sinus / ear pain.

Raw veggies such as cauliflower, broccoli, radishes seem to be safe as is cooked Birdseye C/W petite green beans. I use the cores of the cauliflower and broccoli stalks for slaw with cabbage either naked or with olive oil and dry herbs and I add fresh parsley sometimes if I buy it - this week I got cilantro so am eating it in the slaw. Carrots are not safe in any form I have tried so far. Some potatoes are in moderation as long as I haven't done a lot of rice that day too. Cooked onions are okay but raw onions set off my trigeminal nerve.

Bananas I eat daily and think most Chiquita are okay and Dole might be a problem. Our IGA has been carrying Dole more and more. I have done okay with some of the bagged organic apples from Safeway but one bag wasn't okay. I haven't had a problem with juices I have tried: Simply Grapefruit, Florida Naturals grapefruit, dynamic health pomegranate concentrate, dynamic health tart cherry concentrate are what come to mind. I did have problems with one sack of grapefruit I squeezed myself into juice back in Jan but not the loose bulk grapefruit then. I have stayed clear for a while now of any dried fruits.

Rice I have to limit. Hard boiled eggs seem okay but I am still not sure about the local man's free range ones - think they set off reactions so let spouse eat most of them. But I think the eggs I have gotten at both Safeway and IGA are okay no matter which ones I have purchased (and not tried all by any means).

Quinoa was BAD. I fixed some Thursday and had it both Thursday and Saturday and both times there were big aggravation of symptoms. Since spouse didn't really care for it, the rest got trashed. I still have two more sacks of other grains to try.

I can handle some peanut or almond butter in moderation. Nut butter on rice cakes is my afternoon treat / meal. Peas are out as well as dried bean products for now. Even snap peas I can't handle too many of.

The gluten free Udi granola was too much to handle in a large quantity (more than one serving probably). The test is still undone for McCann's Oats - I did have them one batch over 3 days but haven't pushed trying them again- I don't recall a really bad reaction like some of the other things. The puffed kamut set off a big increase in burning mouth which is what prompted me to go even more seriously gluten free back in Feb.

I tend to eat chicken breast portion most days but have to limit the size. I am not sure which brands are best on that yet but I think the Safeway brand is not safe. We can get Foster Farms there and Draper Valley here and if I stick t the boneless breasts I do better. I am not sure about other meats right now. I have had the natural ground beef that Safeway has (out of Oregon) both with and without reactions; the Meyer's one I got (grass fed out of Colorado) set off a reaction. Pork I am not sure about. The Foster Farms turkey tenderloins seem okay so far.

I have had a few cans of fish too without many problems. I have read label carefully on what I have tried. We had a can of chicken (Valley Fresh) one day and there were problems that day but I think there was something else questionable that day too.

I am have tried Carlson's Cod Liver oil - okay in minute doses. I have a sample of Fish Oil capsules that I have tried last two days - drain the oil out - seems okay. I am trying to eat a can of either salmon or tuna weekly for Vitamin D. Otherwise I have been avoiding most supplements and trying to get what I can with foods.

Such is my current "pity party".
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also feel good with I eat meals high in turmeric, cumin, ginger and cinnamon. In fact, a few months ago, I made a mixture of these spices w/o the cumin, and then added some brown rice bran, powdered psyllium husk powder, ground fennel seeds and a couple other beneficial herbs and keep them in a jar. In the morning, I mix a large teaspoonful with my smoothie and I can say I feel better when I do that consistently. They serve as antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, and other good things.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 5:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that sounds delicious Deb- i think i will try your blend in my daily yogurt :-)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 5:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh no... i just noticed- i wrote a great big response back to Sara last nite, posted it right here after her last- but now its gone :-(
and i dont see it anywhere else on the search function... looks like it just got dropped altogether
guess all the quirks arent worked out of the board yet, deb. :-( :-(

anyway, sara, i cant remember all i said but essentially, hang in there- chin up- you are doing well to have allready come this far! keep making your good/bad lists and in time the chaos will give way to a pattern. and i wanted to encourage you on the diabetes dx, that in a way it would be a relief to have SOMETHING nailed down... and your diet should have a huge positive impact on that condition too. i know several people who have been able to go totally off diabetes med, just by eating natural. Big hugs!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 5:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara,

Cinnamon helps in controlling blood sugar:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14633804
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 12:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, i just tried your spice blend in my yogurt- yummy! yummy! and very exotic. i left the fennel seed whole for texture and just made sure to chew them well, very spicy & fresh tasting
thanx for the tip!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you liked it!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page