Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mastocytosis - possible MSG link

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Scientific Information » Mastocytosis - possible MSG link « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an interesting email from someone through the MSGTruth.org website. They suggested MSG as a possible cause of a disease called mastocytosis. It is really an interesting possible connection. See this link for more info about mastocytosis.
http://tmsforacure.org/expertpanel.shtml

Apparently, this disease occurs when there are too many mast cells in parts of the body. These cells are the ones that release histamine. Since we know that MSG increases histamine response, there may be something to this connection. What is interesting about mastocytosis is that even in folks who DON'T have a "true allergy" (an IGE immune response) these folks can have a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction anyway - exactly like what happens to those of you with an anaphylactic reaction to MSG that is not an allergy to MSG, but a sensitivity. This disease is recognized by the Merck manual as a disease. It is treatable by physicians with medications - usually antihistamines, and most people with severe cases must carry an Epipen. Why are people sensitive to MSG in the same way treated like they are crazy? We report relief from MSG reactions by taking Benedryl and ibuprofen - which reduce histamine and inflammation - the very things initiated by mast cells. Coincidence? I sincerely doubt it. We should be given as much credence as people who suffer from medically recognized Mastocytosis. In fact, I plan on asking my doctor if she can test me for this. My multiple food allergies which change every year, even surprise my allergist. What if many of us here, suffer from undiagnosed Mastocytosis that is made much worse from MSG. Maybe that is one of the other things that make us react like canaries in a coal mine, compared to our sturdier friends and family.
Anyone here diagnosed with mastocytosis already?
jolts
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting Carol. Some of the symptoms listed I have. A couple of the triggers really caught my eye(heat & sunlight). I have major problems with those two. I have read about mast cells in the past, but made no connection. But to get tested for this I just don't know. You see I'm one those people that when I get tested for something it comes back negative. This has been my case for many years now. But I think I'll do some more research.

Thanks...Pat Sr
Pam E.
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is very interesting that most of the symptoms are on the list for MSG sensitivity, also! The web site said the main problem is Anemia. Are you Anemic, Carol? It sounds like a BAD disease. I hope that you don't have it! Good Luck!
Pam E.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pam, I am anemic. Also, two other people I know who are MSG sensitive - are also sensitive to sunlight. What is interesting is the spots. I have noticed these little brownish red spots that have been appearing on me. As a child I would often break out in a rash from heat. Right now, the toughest part is dealing with so many allergies. The slightest thing just slows me down, drops my blood pressure and makes me tired. The anemia just makes things worse.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - I am going to share this info with a friend of mine who has many allergies, gets extremely low blood pressure, skin spots, the itches and gets wiped out easily although on the outside, she appears extremely fit. She must soak her vegies and grains in grapeseed extract to minimize any possible fungus or mold. She has alot of food sensitivities too and for many years, she has not gone near processed foods, gluten, eggs, milk products, or additives. Her spots have been referred to by one doctor as a form of roscea (spelling?) and sometimes when it goes into her eyes, she is treated with antibiotics. Hot weather is a real problem for her. She carries an Epipen and is the only friend who really understands the plight of us NoMSGers. Finding medical advice is close to impossible for her. You certainly have my sympathies.
Lisa Marie
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 8:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, what are the spots you are talking about. I have had little brownish-red spots pop up from time to time on my extremities. They are similiar to the ones which used to come up on my face after a rosacea attack, started by an MSG reaction. I am very sensitive to sunlight; I had a squamous cell skin cancer 2 years ago, and now I NEVER get in the sun. But, sometimes after driving, and it is sunny outside, (and this even occurs when I am wearing sunscreen) I get those spots. Thanks.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spots are about 1 mm big. They are tiny, and dark - tan to reddish. Mine are almost perfectly round and appear on my legs, and my arms. Never my face or my hands, though. I don't think they are transitory - from the sun. I also have a patch of freckles clumped together on my arm since I was a child. People often thought it was a smear of dirt on my arm, but it's just one group of freckles about an inch big, just slightly darker than the surrounding skin.
Lisa Marie, what were your symptoms from the skin cancer? What were the warning signs? That is something I don't know enough about - unfortunately.
Lisa Marie
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am red headed, very fair skinned, and got burned as a child. BUT, I also did stupid things because for about 10 years we went to Fla for 2 weeks every summer. I would always get in the tanning bed for several weeks before because then I didn't burn in Fla. How STUPID was I! So 2 years ago we got to Fla, and I literally felt some rough spots come out on my chest the first day. (I always used 30 sunscreen) So, by the next day one of the 'bumps' was about 1/4 inch and raised. Kind of looked like it would peel. It also felt sensitive. I KNEW by the second night that it was skin cancer. I suffered those 2 weeks and called and made appointment with derm for when I got back. He did a 'shave' biopsy. I thought it would come back basal cell. He wrote me a letter and said everything was fine, he got it all, and that it had been squamous cell. Knowing that squamous was the second worse kind, I was in a panic. I called the hospital and got my actual biopsy report. The report said that "the cancer is still present in the margins!" Meaning HE HADN'T gotten it all. So, I found a MOHS surgeon in St. Louis, and had it removed that way. For the past 2 years, every day in the shower I check my skin for 'rough spots'--even the slightest little patch. I then go every 2 months and have all those spots frozen. Look up actinic keratosis Carol, for more information.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

Here's a link for actinic keratosis:

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/actinic_keratosis.html
Carol H
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy. You're back! I haven't seen you post for a while.
Debbey
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I had skin cancer-maglignent melonoma about 2 months after I became highly toxic to MSG. I crossed all MSG websites to look for a connections. I live in Florida have NEVER had a sunburn and wear jeans. It was on my calf (most common place for women) the size of a pencil eraser. It was black and orangy kind of bubbled.
The angels were watching they got clean edges the 2nd time.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ich can mich an dich uberhaupt nicht errinern.wnn

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page