Has anyone else reacted like this?EmilyS15 12-08-11  11:33 am
Cooking oilali20 4-14-12  11:43 pm
Delayed reactions to high free glutamate foodsNana21 6-27-10  6:08 pm
Query about curryRoy Piwovar6-13-10  2:38 am
Query on sour creamkristy17 6-27-10  7:44 am
I need lots of helpPat24 8-04-10  9:54 pm
Vitamin questions....Duchess11-07-10  7:40 am
Meal planningkristy11-23-10  12:53 pm
Just starting to realize how much of this is MSG and HELP sara140 12-10-11  9:58 pm
Query about Tomato PureeHoofbeats in heav'n21 4-04-16  5:28 pm
Test Diet - how hot is "high temp" consideredDeb A.19 9-01-11  3:56 pm
Erythema Nodosum?ali1-13-12  7:06 am
Mold allergies, histamines, sulphites, MSG?ErinC1-10-12  10:09 am
Feeling very sick. How long does a MSG reaction last.LisaS16 4-27-13  8:12 am
Out of hopeBrianna17 1-31-13  12:12 pm
Battling HopelessnessKem3-22-14  11:58 am
Food Activism?LisaS23 9-06-13  1:28 pm
Weirder msg reaction that normal could it be??evelyn7-30-13  5:03 am
Just getting startedAdaLovelace3-29-14  1:23 pm
Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria LisaS5-04-14  2:51 pm
Thanks for the diet as I wait for the bookcarol mc17 3-16-15  5:33 pm
Fibromyalgia and MSGAdaLovelace3-09-15  11:25 pm
MSG recommended readingLee5-13-15  3:31 am
  Start New Thread        

Welcome to Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection. You may enter any of the discussions above by clicking on the appropriate link. Or, to start a new discussion of your own, click on the "Create New Conversation" button.

If adding a message below, ignore the reference to an account. Full names are not necessary in the username box. Passwords are not required.

Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings from Minnesota!
I am new to -this web site and fairly new to the awareness of MSG intolerance. I have ordered Debís book and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I have read as much as I can find on the internet and I must admit at first it seemed pretty extreme. But the more I become aware of my bodyís reactions to various input, the more I am becoming a believer! What I canít understand is why the medical community isnít more aware of this. I have had headaches for at least 30 years and all my various Doctors have done is prescribe more pills and more pills, none of which have helped much at all in prevention. Of course not, because, unaware, I just kept consuming more MSG.

These are assumptions that I have found: (please correct me if you disagree)
1.ALL foods are to be viewed with suspicion.
2.Fairly safe foods would be: fresh (unseasoned) beef, pork, chicken, turkey and fresh fish; and fresh fruits and vegetables, unseasoned and well washed (especially safe would be veg..& fruits grown in my own garden). Canned and frozen fruits, vegt., & beans are fairly safe if you watch labels for added spices, artificial flavors & other additives.
3.Any medications, vitamins or supplements should be viewed with suspicion.
4.Just because a label doesn't list MSG does NOT mean that it doesn't have a lot of MSG in it.
5.Seems like every person has to figure out for themselves just which foods they can tolerate and which ones cause problems.

Question: What about breads? I view them with suspicion (reading labels) and have found them to be fairly safe if they donít have nuts (a trigger of mine). Homemade breads, bakery breads and specialty breads seem to be the safest because of limited ingredients & additives.

I see Cindy McCain is going to Congress to get funding for Migraine Research Ė Hooray for her! Itís about time! I hope it becomes Big, Big news and the MSG industry is exposed for what it is.

One concern of mine is that most of what I have found to read about MSG was written and researched at least 10 years ago. I assume some changes have been made over the last 10 years. Has there been any current studies? In particular, I find that McDonald hamburgers are safe for me. How about anyone else?

I am so glad to have found a site to communicate with others who also have MSG intolerance. Thanks for any help you can give me. Kaye
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kaye,

Welcome to the forum! I would agree with all 5 of your statements. As for #2, it is most challenging to find safe chicken. Natural chicken broth is added to most brands so it takes a little bit of work to find a safe brand.

#5 is true. I think it depends on ones sensitivity level. If someone is hypersensitive to MSG, then there are specific ingredients they must avoid. But some are more sensitive than others and they must be cautious of how food is cooked along with natural forms of free glutamate.

As for breads, I personally react to all packaged bread even the breads made at local bakeries (most use a commercial sponge starter I must react to). Most people on this site do fine with homemade bread as long as they don't eat too much of it. Years ago I could eat packaged breads just fine but started slowly reacting to them about 4 years ago. I make all of my own bread now and do just fine (as long as I use dry active yeast and flour with no malted barley flour added).

You are correct that the breads with limited ingredients are safest.

I have read the hamburger itself at McDonalds is fairly safe (from a fast food perspective), but the bun, ketchup, mayo and cheese are not safe. When I was less sensitive to MSG I could handle a McDonalds hamburger along with a TacoBell Bean and cheese burrito with no red sauce. Now I don't eat either.

It helps to keep a food journal and write down when you get a reaction. You may find over time that foods you thought were safe, may be giving you a reaction. Whenever I start getting random reactions (this is rare for me) I keep a food journal to help me figure out which food is causing the reaction.

Deb's book is great. Read it cover to cover, then in a few months read it again. Then in a year, read it again. There is so much information and all of it is so helpful.

Feel free to post questions, there are a few of us here that check this site a few times a week. We are all happy to help.

Emily
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily - Thanks so much - it is great to be able to talk to someone about this who knows what I am going through. A few questions:
1. Where can I find flour with no malted barley flour? I have looked with no luck.
2. I find I cannot eat nuts or chocolate without having a reaction - is this related to MSG or something else entirely?
3. How about tuna? I have given it up entirely - is there some that I might try?

It is frustrating that the only way I/we can tell for sure is to try it and see if we get sick. Grrr -what a lousy system. Tonight, I drank a glass of whole milk to see what reaction I would get - so far so good. I know that I can't drink a glass of skim milk. I really miss it. I know I need the calcium, but it is a trade off with the cholesterol - maybe I can allow myself one glass a day. I tried contacting the consumer division of the milk company and the nutritionalist wondered where on earth I got the idea that there could be MSG in their skim milk (did I state it wrong?) But when I asked her to reassure me that there definately was no MSG present she evaded the questions and would not give a straight answer and for sure, she would not put anything in an e-mail. Do you think she knew herself? Or was she just protecting the company? Thanks again so very much for being out there - you have no idea how much this helps. (Maybe you do) Kaye
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kaye,

We are all so willing to help. I used to blindly sample foods as well to see if it was safe or not. Once you get Debís book youíll understand how to narrow down what is and isnít safe so there arenít as many test trials. Youíll also learn the proper way find out/ask if something is safe. For example, the problem with milk is the dry milk solids that are added. When calling a dairy company, I have found it best to ask to talk to someone about their process on how they make their milk. I let them tell me in their own terms the process start to finish. I then ask in a non-conferential way if dry milk solids are added to the milk. Luckily I have two local dairy farms in our city that donít add dry milk solids to their milk and Iím able to drink them without any reactions. I know other states have more issues with this.

Where can I find flour with no malted barley flour? Pioneer Flour is safe. The Walmart near our home used to carry it until last year. You can call Pioneer Flour to find a local vendor. I believe Medal Gold Organic is safe (Iíve never been able to find it). I have a local flour mill that makes flour without the malted barley flour, its called Lehi Roller Mills. Itís sold as various stores in the city I live along with Costco. I donít know how much it is sold outside the city I live in. You can look up their number online and call to see if they sell it near your home. I also use hard white winter wheat and grind it myself to make all of my sandwich bread and use it 50/50 with all purpose flour for the rest of my baking. I like Montana wheat best but any other brand I have found has been safe for me.

I find I cannot eat nuts or chocolate without having a reaction - is this related to MSG or something else entirely? Nuts can be sprayed with chemicals that a lot of us react to. I do okay with organic, plain, unsalted nuts purchased from whole food stores (usually sold in the bins). Chocolate can have a lot of unsafe ingredients added (the cheaper the chocolate, the more unsafe it generally is). I do great with EnjoyLife Chocolate chips and have read of others on this forum that do well with them as well. I can find them at most whole food stores. Check their website as well, they occasionally have coupons you can print. I think you can order them online as well. There is also someone on this forum that reacts to all forms of chocolate except for raw Cacao that they order through Amazon.

How about tuna? I have given it up entirely - is there some that I might try? Do you have a Costco? The Kirkland Signature (Costco) brand is safe. There are other brands as well that have been discussed on the forum- try doing a search for ďsafe tuna brands.Ē You should be able to find a few brands to look for.

I know I need the calcium, but it is a trade off with the cholesterol - maybe I can allow myself one glass a day. If you do get to the point of needing a Calcium supplement, Tri-Salts from needs.com is a safe option that a lot of us do well with. http://www.needs.com/product/Ecological_Formulas_Tri_Salts_200/vspgb_Ecological_Formulas

For reasons unrelated to MSG, I needed to have a dairy free diet for one year and took the Tri-Salts daily and never had a reaction (I react to all other vitamins and supplements but this is a 100% pure form without any binders and fillers).

Debís book has a lot of great recipe and cooking ideas. It will give you some great direction on what to eat. I have a recipe blog as well, feel free to take a look. Hopefully it can give you some ideas: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/

Here is a link for some of the brands of products I keep in my pantry: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2009/06/look-in-my-pantry.html
. I hope this is able to help. Thanks, Emily
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! Whole milk-OK; skim milk-not OK! How long would it have taken me to figure that out on my own! This site is invaluble. You guys are great -thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I have much to learn. Kaye
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 6:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still waiting for my book to arrive. What can you tell me about butter vs margarine. Thanks - Kaye
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 6:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaye,

Emily has given great advise and as she said, Costco's Kirkland White Albacore Tuna is good. AND StarKistģ Low Sodium Chunk Light or Very Low Sodium Chunk White Tuna (which contains only tuna and water). Also, Gourmet Choiceô Solid Light Tuna Fillet, packed in water or olive oil, does not contain vegetable broth. And Starkist claims it's all wild caught.

The chocolate I can eat (sparingly) is Lindt 70% Cocoa - it's great if you like dark chocolate.

About the flour....I usually look for organic whole wheat, or organic unbleached and can always find it without malted barley after checking a couple of stores. Try a health food store; Target Super Store (they are beginning to carry a lot of really great, high quality food, especially the Archer brand; Whole Foods; Trader Joes. If you don't live near a large city it may be more of a challenge and you may need to order online. I'll check the last brand I bought and let you know which one it was.
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you,thank you! both Emily and Di. You are truly angels from heaven for me! As is this web site. Question: How many people are out there like us - that is: sensitive to MSG. Is it truly a rare thing or is it more common than I think? I don't know of anyone personally, that has this intolerance (although my daughter suspects she has had or will develop it eventually). Does anyone think that it might be an inherited trait?
Thanks again...Kaye
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaye,

Yes, I believe it may be an inherited trait, as my sister is also sensitive but her symptoms are different than mine. I personally don't know too many people that claim to react to FGA but from all the research and reading I've done I know there are a lot out there that react but don't credit the cause to FGA....my husband is one. He has tinnitus and I see it spike when he eats stuff that I would react to. And I suspect my daughter reacts too as she has a lot of headaches. But people don't want to give up their favorite foods so they deny any connection.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaye,

About your margarine question. Whole butter (ingredients only cream and sea salt or just cream) is safe but there isn't a margarine on the market that is safe. If you read the ingredients you will see why. If something has more than two or three ingredients I just put it down and move on. One helpful tip while you are waiting for your book to arrive: stick with foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Whole milk that isn't ultra-pasteurized seems to be OK for most (I don't drink milk) but raw would be better. The process itself of pasteurization releases free glutamic acid so even if you can tolerate pasteurized you may not be able to tolerate ultra-pasteurized.

I think you will find that most Americans have veered off the path of good food so dramatically that psuedo-food and corn/soy approximations of food are seen as acceptable. On this site we eat real whole foods. When I first started this way of eating, I searched high and low for safe brands of packaged foods that I was used to eating. Now I find that I buy very little packaged food and what I do buy is not available in any other form here, such as: tuna (Crown Prince on Amazon with no salt added), sardines (also crown prince brand), flour, sugar, coconut oil, some pasta (Italy), and spices. The rest of my shopping list is meats, vegetables, fruits, eggs, milk, butter. I don't even buy frozen vegetables any more since I have found that I react even to the ones with one ingredient listed.

I do believe this condition worsens over time and I wasn't always as reactive as I am now. You may be able to tolerate a McDonald's burger right now but there will come a day that you won't be able to. I feel like every dose of fga in my life brought me closer to the level of sensitivity that I am now. Others may disagree but I sure do regret every McDonalds burger I ever ate. Now that I cook everything from scratch I realize that those burgers were not even worth it. Mine taste much better. 8^)

You definitely need to read Deb's book. It will help you avoid common sources of fga such as iodized salt, white rice, condiments, pickles. I don't know where I would be right now without her book. It also explains this so much better than I can. Something else you might want to check out: http://www.westonaprice.org/

Hope this helps, Kristy
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to add that myself and my two teenagers are all fga sensitive. I also suspect my mother and two brothers are as well (although they will never admit it). I do believe that there is some hereditary connection even if it is just a predisposition. Another thing I believe is that there are a lot more people out there as sensitive as us but just don't know what is wrong with them. I searched for the answer for years before I figured it out and I was getting sicker and more sensitive all that time. It is hard to pin down what is wrong because fga is so pervasive in the SAD (standard American diet).
guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaye,

Please read my article below about the cover-up of hidden MSG which hopefully will help you to grasp why MSG is akin to Processed Free Glutamic Acid and not just to Monosodium Glutamate.

60 Minutes did a segment about unlabeled MSG back in 1992 (it's linked in the article below).

http://www.naturalnews.com/012692.html
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all of you for your helpful info. I was called out-of-state for a funeral and was gone for 6 days. I lost 3 pounds due to the fact that there was nothing I could eat. I was happy to be able to tolerate McDonald's hamburgers at this time. The donated sloppy joes were made with "Manwich" so I knew to avoid them, along with all the lunchmeat & various sandwiches and salads. After I ate all my own homemade salsa I tried someone else's homemade salsa and got sick. Found out it had been made with a packaged Mix :-( . I was so happy to see cut-up watermelon at the funeral luncheon. I made a meal of watermelon, pickles and plain potato chips - but I didn't get sick! I am learning what I can tolerate at this time, but hate to speak about it because I know most people won't "buy into" it - because they haven't experienced it. Thank goodness, my daughter encourages me because she has some of it herself. I didn't mind losing the 3 pounds but I did get hungry. It is definately easier to stay home and cook for myself.

I understand that whole milk and butter may be be better than skim milk and margarine, but I have high cholesterol and have to be aware of that too. Also, I hate to miss out on the Calcium by avoiding milk altogether. I have stopped taking all supplements and have noticed improvement. Should I start the Calcium supplements again and see how I react? Also wondering about fish oil. It was recommended to me by my opthemologist for eye problems (dryness & burning)but I finally figured out that the gelatin capsules were causing me problems. I sampled the lemon flavored fish oil and felt like I may have had a slight reaction to the 1 tsp I tried. I hate to pay $26 for a small bottle if I will react to it. Any ideas about the fish oil or calcium? What about flax seed oil - is it the same benefits as fish oil? Thanks again. Kaye
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops! I reread the recent posts and see that Emily already gave me a suggestion for Calcium supplement. I will give the Tri-Salts from Ecological Formulas a try. We have a fairly good health food store in our small town so will try there first or order online if I have to. Thanks again, Emily, Di, Kristy and everyone else. Kaye
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres a good article on Flax seed oil vs. fish oil: http://www.supplementquality.com/efficacy/fishoil_flaxoil.html It may depend on what vitamin or nutrient your dr. recommended the fish oil for.

Deb A. recommended Ecological Formulas Tri-Salts (Calcium, magnesium, & potassium). http://www.needs.com/prod_detail_list/s
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stopped using flax of any kind as I found it was causing reactions. I also can not take the cod liver oil (I had the lemon flavored liquid kind)....but many others here can tolerate them. I know it can be expensive to buy these supplements and find you can't take them, but in many cases to experiment yourself is the only way to tell for sure. Maybe you have someone you know who would be interested in buying your supplements from you if you end up having reactions? I often sell mine to my sister :p

I too am trying to find a good source of calcium as I can not tolerate milk products. There are vegetables that are high in calcium - I think broccoli is one - and you could try to get your calcium from veggie sources. Per some vegans who don't eat meat or dairy products, they rely heavily on veggies alone for calcium and I've seen data that supports this is an acceptable form - though not sure how reliable the source was (it was long time ago so I am sorry I don't have a link to share).
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 4:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaye,

You probably already know this so this might be just a reminder for all of us.....As with all vitamins and minerals there is a synergistic effect. With calcium the balance with magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, vitamin D, etc. is important.

Try to cut back on acid forming foods (meat, fish, grains, sugar, alcohol, soda pop, caffeine) that will make your system try to neutralize the acid by using calcium; and increase alkaline foods (vegetables, fruit).
Foods high in calcium are: sardines, salmon, collard greens, broccoli, figs, almonds.

What foods interfere with the absorption of Calcium? Oxalates (such as spinach, sweet potatoes and beans) and Phytates (such as whole wheat bran, beans, nuts and soy isolates) interfere with the absorption of calcium.
Also, it is important to remember that protein and sodium boost the amount of calcium excreted in urine, while vitamin D reduce the amount excreted in urine.

http://www.osteopenia3.com/Diet-for-Osteopenia.html
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

QUOTE: I understand that whole milk and butter may be be better than skim milk and margarine, but I have high cholesterol and have to be aware of that too.

Hi Kaye, Call your local milk manufactures. I found two in my area where no dry milk solids are added so I am able to drink 1% milk reaction free from two different brands.

I personally would skip butter/margarine all together if cholesterol is too big of an issue as margarine has way too many questionable ingredients. When I had a dairy free diet, we used a lot of olive oil instead of butter and it worked out great. You can also make your own, low fat butter blend. I've been using Deb's blend lately and have enjoyed it. Here is a quote of Deb explaining the recipe:

I use my mixer and beat 1 cup of butter with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar until smooth. Then I slowly beat in up to 2/3 cup of mild olive oil. Next, I slowly add up to 1/2 cup of ICE water. It hardens it a bit. Then I store in fridge in a glass container. It' a good consistency.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again for all your helpful info. My book has arrived so I am busy digesting all that good information, too. Question: Seems to me I read somewhere that someone mentioned a particular brand of coffee that is better than some. I am due to purchase coffee and would like to try it - does anyone know what I am talking about? I know that coffee is not a good thing but I'm not quite ready to give it up completely yet. Thanks again. Kaye
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaye,

For me caffeine is a huge no-no and only buy organic decaf coffee. I have tried several brands and found them all to be quite good and tolerable. I suspect in time you will wean yourself off caffeine too but in the meantime try organic.
Vera
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 2:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a bit confused about the bread issue.
White vs wholemeal.
Wholemeal is more nutrious, slower carbohydrates but ? more glutamate because more protein
White bread less nutritious, faster carbohydrates and more glutamate because higher gluten content.
Who can shed a light on this?
I recently had a problem with a new organic wholemeal flour (blend of English and Canadian), have gone onto Rye since and that seems ok. Previously have used dark flours (organic) without no obvious problem. All breads homebaked with only flour, water, fresh yeast and seasalt.
The rest of my diet is VERY strict, and I regularly visit this forum to learn more. I am hugely grateful for all the information being available.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi vera... i am still new here and have much much much to learn... but i will offer my experiences with the whole grain/bread/gluten thing-
i have always been a bread/grain person, personally. i just feel so much better when im allowing grains to be my staple... particularly white (but not bleached) wheat & brown rice, and later i discovered that for me buckwheat & millet are real feel good foods too.

when i had kids, my older boy started manifesting in the tourettes/autism spectrum pretty much from the start (especially after the 2yr immunizations! but i digress...)
it became obvious that he was reacting to a variety of triggers, so began the looooong journey to identify & eliminate (or at least reduce) all the things that were making it so hard for him to function...

the short version is that over the next 8 years we experimented with a lot of different dietary rules and restrictions, some that helped & many that did not- some even making things worse, both for my son and then for myself!
(Soy for one- BAD medicine- AVOID AVOID AVOID!)

thru trial & error some things we have learned to be true for ourselves: (warning- this is going to be long :-)

WHEAT- depends on the variety. flours made from Hard Red cause issues for both of us while Soft White Spring has been fine. that means that most regular Whole Wheat flours cause issues but white or whole Pastry Flours are great. (our favorite is Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour).
i also buy their Spelt & Kamut flours.
we avoid bleached flours becoz of the chemical residues, & we try to use freshly milled flours whenever possible becoz we have problems with the rancidity of most prebagged flours.

GLUTEN VS GLUTEN-FREE: several naturopaths urged us to go gluten-free as casein (milk protein) tested positive for my son and the gluten/casein combo is often very reactive for Spectrum people. unfortunately, most of the gluten-free products ended up being a lot worse, for both of us. we didnt know at the time what we have since learned about all the msg additives (thank you again & again for this forum DebA!!)- but as it happens, most Gluten-Free products are loaded with Soy Flour, Gums, Phosphates and various other additives designed to help them mimic wheat. my son and i react to all those ingredients!
we are very fortunate to live just up the road from Bob's Red Mill- i am now able to mix my own custom flours and avoid all those problem ingredients completely. i like their millet, white rice, buckwheat and chickpea flours, as well as their barley & rye flours (both of those do have some gluten) which i often mix in various amounts with their whole wheat pastry flour (it has a lighter gluten than regular wheat). i have also just discovered their delicious Coconut flour- (altho i am not 100% sure that i should be eating coconut since my skin reacts to coconut oil in skin formulas)

BREAD- best to make it yourself, unless you have some safe, additive-free brands available. most of what is on the shelf is horrible! some must have 20 or more ingredients! my son & i both react badly to a number of those chemicals so i have avoided supermarket bread for years. however, my whole family does just fine with Trader Joes Sourdough Breads (flour-culture-yeast-salt- maybe oil. and thats all!) and their Tortillas. also Carmen's makes good safe tortillas (both corn & wheat). and there are a few additive-free gf brown rice/almond breads available, tho they are spendy & hard to find
so far we have not had issues with the malted barley flour that Trader Joes uses, altho i know some on this board react to it. but i do react to the phosphate in baking powder so i have to be careful about that. most mixes are out for that reason alone, even if they are safe in every other way. i get such a stomach ache from phosphates! fairly certain thats true of my younger son as well.

CARRAGEENAN- this was a real recent eye-opener, and one of the things which first led me to this board! i had no idea why we were all experiencing such an upswing in tummy troubles this past school year... little did i know, our breakfast of muffins from the bakery on the way to school every day was making us sick! but as i sadly learned, even organic bakers like to use a Carrageenan glaze on their fresh bakery treats to keep them looking fresh from the oven- all day long. same goes for those gorgeous deli chickens with so much eye-appeal... its in the glaze! Most deli meats (Boars Head especially!) and even some of the pre-sliced cheeses.... and good luck finding ice cream without it. or ANY frozen treet for that matter. it is actually horrifying how many things contain Carrageenan, which is touted as 'natural' becoz once upon a time its great-grandparent was seaweed. but there is nothing natural about the stuff- and let me tell you, it makes us all SICK. but if you are veeeery careful, and veeeery choosy, the organic grocers do have a few bakery & deli options (usually spendy) which are carrageenan free.

CORN- well... a lot of people react and there are so many bad (gmo) varieties on the market that it becomes quite difficult to sort it all out. if you suspect grain intolerance at all, i would suggest simply avoiding corn altogether until much later when you have stablized. then if you decide to try it out, go very cautiously, one item/brand at a time. DebA and Kristy both have tons of good helpful info on corn.

OAT- this is wonderful baking flour!! it is light & sweet and only a little crumbly. unfortunately for us, it also gives all 4 of us terrible bipolar mood swings. i have no idea why, and i dont know any other family who reacts this way. but if you start feeling hyperemotional after enjoying baked oat flour goodies... beware...
and finally
SOY anything is BAD NEWS for most people becoz it contains so many phyto-chems which basically shuts down the digestive system. i became very very ill from soy (im really not exaggerating when i say i feel that it nearly killed me), and both my sons tested positive for allergy. my younger son also had terrible tummy troubles which have mostly resolved in the past few years since we have eliminated soy. but i still remain so sensitive that i begin to get cramps from even a smidge. yuck.

well, i hope all that helps you gain some new perspectives into your own search for answers and healing. a few very important things to remember: everyone is different. listen to your body. have patience. the food industry really is stacked against you. healing takes time. and trial and error is the only way to go- hang in there!

cheers!
Vera
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 7:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bo'nana
So you seem to do better with white as opposed to wholemeal.
I have greatly reduced my consumption of bread, I don't think gluten is an issue, so luckily haven't been tempted by all those fashionable gluten free products. I was ok on white (unbleached organic) but then wanted to do better with slower carbohydrates. From what I've learned from the forum it may be the Canadian wheat which could be the issue. But if posssible I'ld like to keep up the wholemeal, and try others, unless the experience on the forum is unanimous in being better on white.
I shall try buckwheat and millet, and also oats but heed your warning about emotions - it is part of my symptoms following MSG ingestion.
I also get my flour direct from he mill, it's much better and the choice is greater.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 1:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vera, I wanted to mention yeast. I have found only natural sourdough or red star yeast in packets to be the only yeast completely free of additives (even red star in jars is not safe). Most commercial yeast is grown on GMO corn which can cause problems for some people and it is hard to pinpoint (my reactions started out subtle and grew with every day that I ate it). Quick breads work great for us since it is easy to make additive-free baking powder (I generally use equal parts baking soda, arrowroot powder and cream of tartar but there are other recipes) even if you don't have a safe brand in stores (Hain featherweight). I don't have access to safe yeast or baking powder in my local store so I rely on homemade baking powder exclusively.

Try using a safe flour and homemade baking powder to make biscuits, muffins, cakes or waffles. If you don't react, then you could try yeast breads. This is an easy way to test whether it is yeast or flour that you are reacting to. In the beginning before I understood additives, I knew I reacted to even homemade yeast bread but not beschamel sauce so I figured it was the yeast and not the flour. (Now I understand why since the yeast I was using is not corn-free.) Try making gravy (pan drippings, fat, water or homemade broth, and flour) or white sauce (organic butter, flour and unenriched organic milk or Daisy full fat sour cream + water) first to see if you react to flour without all the other troublesome ingredients. I say to use unenriched organic milk because milk that is fortified with vitamin D has vitamins with additives and GMO corn oil as a carrier (even people without a corn allergy sometimes react to the addtives in the vitamins). I recommend Daisy full fat sour cream because it's a dairy product that I know is corn and additive free and almost universally available.

One other caution: if you have a problem with a particular kind of flour, be very cautious about buying from a company like Bob's Red Mill because they do so many types of flours. A lot of corn allergic people avoid Bob's Red Mill because of cross contamination problems (sometimes they react to their favorite flour and sometimes they don't because sometimes there is cross contamination and sometimes there isn't).
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 11:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats an interesting read Kirsty. It would go someway to explaining why i react to some bread (ibs...horrible) and not others. I can bake a cake with my flour and be fine, make bread with it and ouch!! I hadnt thought that it could be the yeast not the flour. Ive been baffled by it for a while and just not been using the white flour at all. Ill try the quick breads off your blog with the flour and see how i go and then try regular yeast bread. If it is the yeast, ill shop around and see can i find one i dont react to. Sometimes i feel i miss the most obvious explanation!!! Thanks Kirsty, you have again solved one of my mysteries i think.
Vera
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kirsty, that's a very practical pointer. I'll try the quick bread with the same flour. And the mill I use does have a large selection in flour, most of which I wouldn't even want to try, so I'll have to hunt around.
My yeast is fresh, it's actually French yeast (l'hirondelle) so I think it's safe but then I'm not sure. (I live in UK in case you're wondering)
The sourdough I was actually staying away from because I thought it was too much fermentation and setting free of glutamate from the flour in the process. Is this so or not? Or is sourdough with white flour ok but not with wholemeal?
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

vera, my family seems to do better with the white sourdough rather than the whole grain version... but for us the main issue seems to be something about the protein in the varieties of wheat being used for commercial breads, because white bread has far less protein.
(altho i dont really think it is necessarily a gluten intolerance becoz we have all tested negative for gluten allergy and becoz we dont seem to have the colicky type of digestive disturbance that is so typical of coeliac.) so i guess it must just depend on the individual

kristy, i have wondered about bread yeast in the past... we tried a yeast-free approach for awhile but other than excluding a lot of foods that have never seemed to trouble us, i just couldnt make any connections. but i will definitely keep your info in mind becoz i have noticed that i do tend to gravitate toward the sourdough and away from yeast breads.
i was really enjoying using nutritional yeast for awhile, but since discovering so many cautions about it on this forum, i have stopped using it altogether. i doubt i will be very likely to take it up again, even to test for a resurgence of some symptom or other. probly best to leave well enough alone.
also as i mentioned in another post, torula yeast i have always tried to avoid becoz it gives me such a sore mouth & burning tongue! (and also becoz it is grown on the pulpy efflux from paper mills- disgusting!)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vera, I would call the yeast manufacturer and talk to someone there. I would ask what medium they use to grow the yeast. It very well may be safe. I know there are a couple of other brands of safe yeast in the states besides the red star, but I don't know what they are - they may even be Kosher for Passover brands.

As for sourdough, I would imagine it would depend on the individual making the sourdough starter - I find that I don't react to homemade ferments but have trouble with some store-bought ferments and I suspect it has to do with manufacturers trying to "speed things up". I love Bragg's apple cider vinegar (I could just about drink it) but I have to be extremely careful about using it. I made a cole slaw dressing out of sour cream, Bragg's ACV, sugar and spices and it was fantastic that night. When I ate some of the day-old coleslaw it gave me a tight neck and headache. First day it was OK, but after being in the fridge overnight it was a problem. I have a bigger window that I can eat it if I keep the dressing separate and pour it over the slaw right before eating it, but you know it tastes better after being refrigerated with the dressing on it overnight. Oh well, at least I can eat it and I don't seem to have a problem with homemade mayo using it. Perhaps it is the potent mix of the sour cream and the ACV together with the shredded veggies that makes too much natural glutamate for me to handle? Who knows - I just know it is really trial and error. No matter how well informed I think I am, I come across something I thought would be totally innocent and get blindsided in my own kitchen. I just mark it down as a no-no and move on. :-)
Vera
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 5:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got an answer from the French yeast company, but I'm not sure whether it's good or bad for me. I believe I'm ok with their yeast despite being very sensitive to everything else discussed on this forum.
Here's what they said

''I can confirm that Líhirondelle is grown on a mixture of Beet and Cane molasses.

Various molasses sources are mixed, diluted and sterilised to produce a sterile medium with a natural balance of sugars, trace elements and vitamins which suit the growth of yeast.''

I know molasses contain sulfites. But would it get into the yeast, that's the question.
Are there any other issues with esp beet molasses, fe glutamate produced in the processing?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vera, I would think that yeast would work fine. The only real way to know is to guinea pig it, but there are no red flags from the description of the manufacturing process. The very fact that they weren't coy and giving you a non-answer makes it look very promising.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 2:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sugar beets contain glutamate. That's why we suggest using cane sugar instead of the less expensive beet sugar. Molasses contains some glutamate residues, and if it is not organic, often contains sulfites.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 3:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news: A federal judge on Friday banned the planting of genetically modified sugar beets engineered by Monsanto in a ruling that marks a major setback for the biotech giant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38700003/ns/technology_and_science-science
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just read that, Di...gives one hope, doesn't it.
Margaret
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 3:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone. My name is Margaret. At the end of January(2011)I discovered this web-site. I have been ill for over 10 months(this time) and it was here that I finally found out what was wrong with me. I e-mailed Debby fully believing that I would never hear from her. I heard from her the next day! I have her book and I read it every day. Since January I have come several times a day to the discussion board. Most days I was so sick that getting to the computer was about all I could do. I just read and read and read. I used the search feature,and when I didn't understand something I went to the next. I sent Debby part of my story and,of course, heard right back from her! I am still having a difficult time processing my thoughts. I still just read and try to learn everything I can about this poison called MSG,that almost killed me. I want to share my story and be able to participate on the discussion board. I hope that I can do this soon.I want to thank every single person here. I recognize many names and the incredible knowledge that you all have.You have held me together since January! You have given me hope.There is one thing that I do every day when I come here. I stay on the main page and look at Debby's picture and then "touch" her beautiful face.I say thank you Debby Anglesey for saving my life. May God bless you.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Margaret and welcome to the board.

I am pretty new here myself and struggling trying to sort things out.

Glad you posted and come back and start your own thread and post some more.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i second what sara said, margaret... welcome!
your experience sounds so familiar, there are a lot of us here who feel like Deb's effort to get the word out about MSG/FGA has been nothing less than heroic :-)

PLEASE KEEP POSTING! - this is a wonderful community of caring, likeminded individual and together we are learning much more through sharing our experiences and discoveries, than most of us would ever be able to sort out on our own.
then too, a little whining is even encouraged... its perfectly ok to share frustrations...
there is as much to learn from the setbacks as from the successes, and besides- sooner or later everyone needs a hug :-)
Blessings to you today!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Margaret, Welcome! I am glad you found this site and have Deb's book, both are a wealth of knowledge that you won't find anywhere else. Everyone on this discussion board is extremely caring and helpful. I've been reading and posting for about 4 years, and can't imagine where I'd be without it. Please keep posting, feel free to ask your own questions, AND add what you have discovered so we all may learn from you too.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 7:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Margaret, I'm so happy that you have posted here and know how wonderful these people are who come to share, learn, and to help the "newbies". You've made me start my day with a happy cry at your sweet words. Don't give up..you are on the right road. We all know how hard it is the first year, so we are here for you.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 7:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just like me, Margaret - and as I told Deb, I was ready to find a nursing home to prevent my further decline from burdening my family. And now I'm good as new with the help of a clean diet and lots of great people and advice here. Hang in there! It just keeps getting better!!
bryce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can some people tell me foods with ultra low free glutamate levels? I have an ultra sensitivity to all MSG, I can't even eat fruit without feeling weird.. I've been mostly on fish and veggies, but veggies have it also. So crazy..

Can anyone help me?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 4:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bryce, it sounds like you are reacting to more than just MSG. Maybe sulfites are also a problem.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy731
bryce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i see. yes roy, that could def. be a possibility with the source of food i was eating, which was a regular grocery store. i'm not longer taking any chances and only eating food that i have thoroughly inspected at whole foods and currently doing the test diet.

thank you for your response my friend.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 6:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I have recently stumbled across this board. It is a bit overwhelming, but I am trying to understand as much as possible. I ordered "Excitotoxins The Taste that Kills" but haven't received it yet. My main issue is headaches/migraines. I have them pretty much every day, whether severe or mild. Sometimes it is "just" pressure in my head, other times it is unbearable pain that puts me to bed. I also have recently noticed a shock pain or pulsing shock pain in the back of my head but it lasts less than a minute and has only happened a couple times. Normally my migraines are right sided, occasionally left. I also have fatigue, extreme exhaustion pretty much daily which I believe is d/t my headaches. I often get very emotional when I have a headache and I cry, more out of frustration than anything else.

I started getting them 9 years ago and I am 26 yrs old. I think going on birth control had something to do with it. I was on it about 8 years, different ones, constantly being switched around to try and help my headaches. For my migraines, originally I went on Topamax, but went off because of side effects. When I was 18, I was put in Inderal and it worked great... for a couple of years. I would take Maxalt when a migraine hit and it worked well but I didn't have to take it very often. Without my doctor's supervision, I decided one day that Maxalt was dangerous and I needed to stay away from it, I also cold-turkey went off the Inderal, which I now regret. I ended up getting migraine after migraine, it was never ending. I was taking homeopathic medicine but the pain was too much, so I quit that and started taking OTC Excedrin Migraine... big mistake. I had daily headaches, needing more and more Excedrin. I finally went to my doctor and he told me no more Excedrin. Put me back on Maxalt, I was agreeable, and by the way, I had started back on the Inderal already, realizing that was a bad idea to go off of it. So anyways, since then I have had so many problems. I have since been put on medication for depression/anxiety (which I believe I have and feel much better now), and have continued the Inderal for all these years. I have been to two Neurologists, have been on all kinds of medications, including again trying Topamax, Gabapentin, Elavil, Magnesium, Vitamin B2, and combinations of these.

I went off of birth control once and for all in April. I felt really great for about 2 weeks after that.

Finally the recent Neuro I went to suggested "Heal Your Headache" by Dr. Buscholz. I read it and was convinced. I gave up coffee/caffeine cold turkey, as well as everything else... it was really hard. I have been on the diet just over 3 months, and I still have daily headaches. It seemed to get a little better at first, once I got past the rebound headaches... I also gave up Maxalt completely with the advice of this book. I have now been taking way too much Advil, which does help to some extent sometimes. But decided a few days ago I need to stop taking it, because what if THAT is causing me rebound headaches? I have painful menses (cramps and such) and have always thought my hormones were to blame for my migraines. I still do believe this in part.

The only thing I can think is that while Dr. Buscholz does advise to give up MSG, and I did attempt this, I did not do a good enough job, I guess.

So I am planning on trying the test diet, although I keep wondering if I have what it takes. But I sure want to try.

I have some questions if you don't mind. Is only chicken and fish allowed, or beef also? Obviously I already have some restrictions with the Buscholz diet, certain fruits and vegetables are restricted/forbidden, no cheese. I never ever thought to look at my butter ingredients and it has "natural flavorings" in it =( Wow. I literally check almost every label I buy, even my milk, but never thought to check my butter. So I think I will have to stick to olive oil. Should that be organic? I have tried to eat very healthy, but I am nervous about finding all of this stuff and not going broke (I know I shouldn't care about that)... fresh eggs, I may be clueless but where do you find them? I will have to do a search. Not sure if they sell those in stores???

Thanks for listening. I know this was long. Any advice is appreciated.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 6:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy egglands best eggs, are those okay? They say they are "farm fresh."

Also I take magnesium daily. The ingredients are calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and the other ingredients are cellulose (plant fiber), stearic acid (vegetable), magnesium silicate, kelp plant, licorice root, peppermint leaves, and white willow bark. It is Natures Sunshine. Is this ok?

Does my brown rice need to be organic?

If spices contain "silicon dioxide" to prevent caking, is that bad?

What about sea salt that I grind myself?

sorry for so many questions :-(
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 8:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,

eggland eggs are extra omega aren't they? if so that can be flax seed food for the chicken which some people react to.

you have to try to lessen the chemical overload in your body and see where you are with that - there is no magic diet that works for everyone.

Chicken and fish are suggested for the trial diet as they tend to be less chemical although they can be plenty chemical depending on the processing. Just get as simple as you can for the trial.

I have to watch a few other things besides what Deb has on the trial diet. I can't do a lot of rice myself. I have a problem with oxalate it appears which I discovered months into this process. The best thing that helped me was the diet log where I log everything I consume that isn't water basically and can go back over it later (weeks - months in fact) as I keep symptoms also on that log.

Each person has their own constraints with what they can purchase based on money available as well as stores they can shop at. Money isn't the bigger issue for us - yes I can't go overboard - but my available stores IS a the more major obstacle.

magnesium is available as just magnesium salts - no added ingredients. You might have to search for it but you can find it bulk. I am opting for a couple supplements that I measure with measuring spoons over taking capsules. Not everything is available that way. But the better thing is to get your minerals in food if you can.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 9:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,
I suspect your magnesium supplements are causing you trouble, particularly the kelp in them. MSG was first synthesized from kelp.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your responses.

Eggland's Best - they do claim to have double omega-3, not sure where it is coming from though. I guess it wouldn't help if I eat ground flax seed daily, right? I will stop and see if it helps at all.

I take the magnesium for my migraines... go figure, but I guess it doesn't seem to be helping anyways, so I don't really need it. It was "prescribed" but I stopped taking the prescription a while back and just starting choosing my own.

I need to buy some kosher salt, because I am unsure about my salt.

I started using baking soda instead of toothpaste. Baby steps are better than nothing, I suppose. It tastes pretty gross but my breath seems pretty fresh! I can deal with it, for sure.

Thank you for your help, Roy and Sara.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What form of magnesium were you prescribed? was it specifically this particular brand and this particular product (which product in particular too if you don't mind?)

From FAQ on Eggland site:

Q. What is the source of Omega 3 fatty acids in Egglandís Best eggs?

A. The Omega 3's in Eggland's Best eggs come from the canola oil and flax seeds that are part of the Eggland's Best patented feed. The Egglandís Best nutritional program specifies inclusion of canola oil and flax seed in diets in proportions which will contribute to the desired level of Omega 3 fatty acids in the eggs. Each week producers submit eggs for inspection to determine that the levels of Omega 3 fatty acid are as required. Egglandís Best eggs contain 2 times the level of Omega 3 fatty acids compared to ordinary eggs.

Some are sensitive to flax - some aren't - there is no answer for any of this which works for everyone unfortunately. In a test for sensitivities it is best to minimize the number of possible problem foods.

We got eggs from a local man one time and I was pretty sure I reacted to them so let my husband have them. I haven't reacted to the el-cheapo Safeway eggs or the more expensive Free Range ones I buy at our local little grocery or the free range ones I found at Trader Joes (I discovered there is a TJ's in Olympia which I wasn't aware of).

I sure didn't find all my problems the first week or even the first few months of this. I am not sure I have found all of them yet but I sure have found several problem foods along this journey and pay the price every time I overdo them. I started by eliminating MSG then lessening glutamate rich foods like Deb says. Those helped but at the same time I was also lessening oxalate and wasn't aware of oxalate being a problem. I know more now and have found oxalate rich foods ARE my problem and seems to be more of a problem than anything else right now.

But doing Deb's diet definitely helped me along this journey and I felt the best after a week on it than I had for several years.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 6:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The magnesium I took was magnesium oxide and it was from the pharmacy, a prescription. The one I take now is also magnesium oxide, but is Natures Sunshine brand. I stopped seeing the particular doctor that prescribed it and although my PCP probably would've written the Rx, I didn't ask him.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 7:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/M003205.htm

magnesium oxide - no fillers listed - fairly inexpensive too (I am using NOW foods products for calcium and magnesium right now myself so picked on them to google it)

1/4 level t is 400 mg it indicates so measure your dose with measuring spoons or weigh it if you have a good enough scale (I own a 1/100 gram scale myself - under $20 at amazon at the time)

I imagine there are other brands and sources too - there are a couple of places you can buy bulk supplements - purebulk is one (much is from China but not all) and there is another place where people buy taurine (and I can't recall where right now but it is on the forum somewhere)
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 5:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. I will look into that.
bobby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the best magnesium supplement is peter gilham`s natural calm,

it`s ionic and is absorbed better through the body,

other magnesium products don`t have that capacity.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly, First of all, welcome. This is a great forum, actually the best for getting advice for a no-MSG lifestyle. To address your migraines... I remember a couple of other people in the past who were dealing with this symptom that seemed to find there were other triggers besides MSG/FGA(free-glutamic acid). One person eventually determined she was reacting to something in the water and the other found a lot of mold in her house (from her waterbed). Just saying it could be a combination of things, everyone is different. I'm not an expert on headaches, as my symptom was joint pain, but going MSG/FGA free was the best single thing I did to get pain free. It's been about 5 years and I feel better now than I did for the previous 30.

As far as diet, try to eat organic everything, if possible. There is so much done to everything else (chemically) it is criminal. And you can't really trust any restaurant, no matter what they say. If you want to know what is in your food you have to buy and prepare it yourself. In the beginning it was daunting, but trust me, it was soooooo worth it and it does get easier. A little bit at a time. I thought in the beginning, gee I can't throw out everything in my frig & pantry, so little by little I bought what I could. We didn't get ourselves into trouble overnight and usually healing takes a little time. But you should notice some improvement fairly quickly.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 4:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard good things about Natural Calm myself and have heard also Magnesium Oxide isn't the best for getting magnesium in your body.

Kelly was scripted Magnesium Oxide and so that is what I was working with. It is available in many forms / brands most of which have unwanted fillers.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your support.

I agree magnesium oxide isn't the best for absorption. Before it was "prescribed," I had been taking the chelate form, which I actually think works better. For now I stopped taking the magnesium oxide altogether, and would like to be able to find something powdered. I have heard of Natural Calm.

I have been using baking soda as toothpaste and my teeth are really sensitive, and I am getting zap pains in them... sort of like when I used to bleach/whiten my teeth. I know I have read that brushing daily with baking soda is not good for your enamel, but has anyone experienced this and what do you think? Just continue with the baking soda??

I checked my white flour (although I don't use it often) and sure enough it has "malted barley" in it among other things. I never would have thought to check that if not for this forum. I thought it was just flour! Thank you for everyone's input!!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 7:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Kelly,

Welcome to this form. Iím so sorry to hear about your history with headaches/migraines. I have of history of these myself and my heart just aches when I hear of others who suffer with headaches. I agree with Di, that many people find it is a combination of things that help get rid of the migraines/headaches with a change in diet being one of them. While going through intensive physical therapy for myofascial pain syndrome and trigger point therapy for the tension headaches I was getting, my Physical Therapist told me there are 48 different kinds of headaches. Each one originating in a different place, triggered by something different. Each kind is treated differently yet as a society we dump all of these into one category- headaches. I have been diagnosed with 7 different types of headaches and they have all required something different to treat them and different things trigger them.

I tell you this to encourage you to keep working to make the connections on what your triggers are. If you arenít already, I recommend keeping a detailed journal regarding what type of a headache you are getting and what possible triggers caused it. By journaling you may start seeing the connections that trigger the headaches. My husband used to get 2-3 migraines a week from age 14-25. He figured out his number one trigger is aspartame, then his eating schedule (needing to eat every 2-3 hours), third his water intake, then forth avoiding msg in foods and last of quality sleep. Once he made the connection to these triggers he has been migraine free for 8 years.

Give this diet a try, keep good records and make note of what changes you see. Iíll see if I can upload a file I used to use to chart what kind of headaches I was getting in case you donít already have a charting system.
application/mswordHeadache Charting Calendar
PainCalendar.doc (1857.5 k)
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 7:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If spices contain "silicon dioxide" to prevent caking, is that bad?
I occasionally eat spices with silicon dioxide as I've found I don't react to it. During your trial diet, I'd avoid it, then later you can enter it back into your diet and see if you do okay.

What about sea salt that I grind myself?
I use the Kirkland Signature (Costco brand) of sea salt that I grind myself. I also use plain canning salt sold at the grocery store in a big green box next to all the other salts.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 4:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Emily - I have read "The Headache Cure" and "Heal Your Headache: 123 Approach." The first details different types of headaches and the other basically speaks about how diet and medication are primary triggers and all headaches are migraine, at different levels (it does make sense if you read his reasoning on this)... so differing of opinions. It can be very overwhelming. I did schedule an appointment with my PCP because I have a lot of ideas this time, whereas before I went to the doctor to get the advice. I want to just rule things out, to be safe... x-rays, labs, etc. I also have an appointment with an endo dr that both my parents go to, and both of them are on diabetes meds, so that might be a factor that I can't deny... The Heal Your Headache really spoke to me (does that sound silly?). For the first time I felt like someone understood what I was experiencing and had an answer for it. He has a lot of "fans" but obviously it didn't work too well for me. I am still doing it though, keeping certain foods and medications out of my diet... and moving onto other things as well.

EmilyS - thanks!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 7:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly, that's great news you feel understood as I understand what you mean by this. I completely agree that diet plays a huge role with headaches, especially migraines and our overall health.

I just read his first 10 pages on Amazon and put his book on hold at the library- I'm interested to read it and see if any of it applies to me.

I get extreme muscular tension headaches starting from a few neck muscles that tense up so tight I lost all range of motion in my neck and couldn't drive for a year because I couldn't look to my left or right to turn. These muscles started tensing from a neck injury. I do a series of neck stretches every 2-3 hours every day to keep the muscles loose and keep the headaches under control. Along with my neck muscles, I tense my TMJ muscle unintentionally through the day and night and I'm having a hard time keeping this muscle relaxed.

The other headaches I battle are from compressed nerves in my neck and post concussion syndrome so I know diet doesn't affect those but I'd still really like to read his book. I would love to find additional ways to help calm down my neck muscles from tensing so much.

Thank you for the book recommendation. Again, good luck with the diet.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 2:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily,

The 17" convex car mirrors linked below could help with neck problems when driving.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/glare-free-panoramic-wide-angle-mirrors/p2008408.jcwx?filterid=c15497j1

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wraparound-panoramic-wide-angle-mirrors/p2008409.jcwx?filterid=c15497j1
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 9:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link Roy- you are always full of helpful links and information!

After going through months of physical therapy, my range of motion is back in my neck. I can drive now. However, if I don't faithfully do a series of neck stretches every 2-3 hours every day, I get a strong tension headache from the muscles getting too tight. I then use a tens unit and ultrasound to help loosen up the neck muscles.

This all started from a neck injury that happened 2 years ago but it amazes me that my neck muscles still want to tense up day after day where before this was never a problem.

I'm always opened to new ideas, so I'm anxious to read the headache book mentioned above to see if there is anything else I can be doing for my poor neck muscles.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 4:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily - I'm so sorry you are dealing with that, it sounds awful :-(

I also tense my TMJ muscles, I catch myself doing this constantly. I often wake up with a REALLY sore jaw and I have "cracking" when I open/close. My dentist asked me about it a few times. I recently starting wearing a mouth guard to try and stop it. It's hard because I want to do all I can to help my migraines, but then I might not know what exactly is helping, maybe the combination of everything. I am feeling better the past few days. Not "great" but better and that is all I can ask for right now.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

I wear a night guard faithfully and it helps with the tensing my TMJ muscle. I still catch myself tensing the muscle during the day though. Also when I'm in a bad headache cycle my TMJ muscle is tight when I wake up even when I'm wearing a night guard/bite guard. But at least the night guard is helping.

I have found a combination of things to help me. I've had many people ask what has helped the very most, but for me it's been a combination of people/tool/techniques where they were all critical.

My chiropractor, my physical therapist and my pain management doctor have all been lifesavers for me. Through treatments from all three of them, life is good (not great but very good) and like you I can't ask for anymore. I'm very grateful for where I'm at.

I took Gabapentin and Topamax for quite some time (like you) and even took both of them together for several months. The side effects from those two drugs were horrific for me. I'm so grateful to be off of them. I understand the frustration of trying so many treatments looking for answers.

I hope you continue to see progress and that a diet change will be the key to your success.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 3:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the doctor's office I just read about the John Barnes Myofascial Release Method for treating not only the symptoms but also other areas of the body that are contributing to the pain. I haven't used it, but the information sounded impressive. Just passing on information in case it might be of help to you and others.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 4:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Besides going on a no-MSG diet, the second most helpful pain reliever for me was the John Barnes Myofascial Release therapy. The problem is that not all therapists perform it the same. I've been to 5 different therapists and only one is repeatedly able to achieve 99% relief. But it is certainly worth a try.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 5:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going on vacation tomorrow to Florida, will be staying with family, so it won't be impossible to stay away from MSG. I am just hoping to feel good because I want to enjoy the week!

I have been taking COQ10 from Twinlab for the past few days, because I had read so much about COQ10 on this board and in a book. I am now wishing I bought the powder from Beyond a Century (no fillers), you have to spend a lot initially but it is cheaper in the long run - so I will go with that next time. Anyways it's only been a few days on it so I can't really judge it yet. Hope it helps though.

I still have a low-grade headache daily but I am functional, hopefully I just keep getting better. I have not been following the test diet completely. I have been eating oats daily, but I got certified organic instead of Quaker. I can't help but think it makes a difference. It's hard to know.

Thanks for all the support and shared knowledge thus far!
bobby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

baking soda is not something you want to use everyday for teeth, maybe once a week at most,

coconut oil pulling is great for gum and teeth health,

it also pulls out excess toxins from the body.
Kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you bobby!

I actually do coconut oil pulling every day, I started earlier this month (read about it somewhere else). I was hoping that would help my symptoms, who knows....

I didn't use baking soda this morning, my teeth have been too sensitive. The test diet does say to use it though, instead of toothpaste. I am still unsure what to use but used regular toothpaste today.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 9:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dentist told me because my teeth are so healthy it would be just fine to use baking soda every day. After several months, I did switch to Crest extra whiting and haven't had any reactions.

What is coconut oil pulling?
bobby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

coconut oil pulling explained...

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article%20oil%20pulling.htm
Anonymous

Posted From: 174.137.252.21
Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 11:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After 5 years of waiting, the FDA responded to the MSG petition

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FDA-2007-P-0178-0090
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 2:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a bunch of malarkey. If they were going to tell you they closed the book on MSG's safety in 1995 and aren't going to consider reopening it, they could have said so 5 years ago.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 7:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FDA, Monsanto, the glutamate industry, Big Pharma, and the food industry are buds.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 2:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, like two GMO peas in a pod.

http://worldtruth.tv/leaked-documents-reveal-us-diplomats-actually-work-for-monsanto/
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha Ha...very good, Roy!
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 10:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been a month and a half since my whole world of eating seems to have turned upside down. Not just my world of eating...my whole world has been affected. I went from a very healthy active woman to practically an invalid. I'm afraid to exercise for fear that it will trigger the headaches. I was taking lots of vitamins and supplements without any reaction and it seems that one day, it all changed. At first it was a combo of diarrhea with hypoglycemic symptoms, shaking, and extreme dehydration extreme fatigue and then the headaches & lightheadedness along with, at times, accompanying vertigo. Now the tinnitus has joined is and is nonstop. The headaches cause me to feel very anxious when driving, especially on the highway. It feels as if I've had a headache for a month straight and I never had a headache before in my life. I thought I had a healthy diet, mostly vegetarian but supplemented with soy products and fish/dairy. Now, I feel afraid to eat anything. Last night I had some mozzerella cheese that is on the "safe" list and I think I had a reaction to it. Thats never happened to me before. The label says "enzymes". Is that the culprit? Has this happened to others that you're living your life and suddenly, from one day to the next, it all changes?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 7:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine, it's time to keep a food diary to pin things down. It's not always what you suspect.
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy. I've been keeping a food journal sporadically but will be pay more attention to it. Recently I read that some people liked the product Natural Calm for magnesium. I purchased some online and got the raspberry/lemon flavor and saw on the ingredients that the magnesium is "citrate" and that it also has citric acid in it. I'm now scared to try it although it got good "reviews" on this board. Have you ever tried this product?
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 8:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So sorry you are going through this, Lorraine. I too suddenly became sensitive overnight. Although now that I look back, I did have some sensitivity for years, I think it's a combination of an exposure, a virus, much exercise all at once triggered it into severity.

I will share my experience with identifying sources of glutamate, though it might not match yours or others. Every time I thought I was reacting to an ingredient that was not a common source of glutamate, such as the citric acid or the enzymes, there was always some other ingredient in something that I hadn't found yet that was very obvious once I found it. It's entirely possible that you are reacting to those, of course. Just that in my experience it's likely you will keep finding other sources for a while in places you forgot to check. Dairy products, supplements that contain maltodextrin, etc. then, unfortunately, you will probably keep getting more sensitive for a while to smaller and smaller sources. Seems to be the pattern with many people.

Have you considered trying Deb's test diet? I think that might be a very good step to give you a baseline.
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally saw it and am now going to follow it. I think I even had a reaction to San Pelligrino water and quinoa. I will try to keep it as simple as possible. although her diet said mozzerella cheese was OK and the kind i got at Costco didn't list any carrageenan, but it does say "enzymes", so I suspect that did it to me. I'd love to be able to start exercising again but am afraid that it will trigger a headache. Lisa, how long did it take for you to get back to exercising?
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From my experience, I find that:
1. Microbial Enzymes are a very BIG trigger.

http://www.natural-connection.com/resource/tnc_reference_library/cheese.html

http://biotech.about.com/od/casestudies/a/dairyenzymes.htm

2. My reactions occur, like clockwork, about 3 hrs after ingestion of a culprit. With such a delay, one could blame another food/beverage for the reaction. Not knowing, at one point, I blamed water, fruit, almost everything & thought there was nothing left on this earth for me to eat. Thankfully I found Deb's website.

As Roy suggested, a food diary should be kept. It is ultra-important.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine, I take magnesium citrate tablets daily, but the brand I take has no citric acid in it and I don't seem to have any problems with it. I do seem to react sometimes when citric acid is added to tomatoes.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 7:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't find that mild exercise would trigger a headache, though I did find that sweating too much from the steam room pulled toxins and made me sick. If you get headaches from exercise it's likely a result of toxins getting pulled and then those toxins making the free glutamate reaction much worse. you might try milk thistle, I've had great luck with it when exposed to mercury or other toxins. (aluminum is bad too so watch out for baking powder).
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 7:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for your answers and experience. It really helps. I know that tomatoes are naturally high in glutamic acid but I thought since its natural that it might be OK. I made some gazpacho tonight from all fresh veggies: tomatoes, celery, cucumber, peppers, onion, garlic, etc. and put it in the food processor. I only had about 4 ounces but I'm feeling like an impending headache. Also, I got some sheep's milk yogurt which did not contain any carrageenan, but I think it gave me a slight reaction but some other yogurts don't. It also seems to me that if I eat something starchy, like brown rice or potatoes, that they seem to somewhat relieve the symptoms. Anyone else experience this or is it just in my head?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 11:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://zenzizenzizenzic.byethost31.com/SamG.JPG
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 11:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction: The link I posted to answer Lorraine's question should be:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3968589

(I wasn't able to delete the last post)
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 6:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I'm not very good w/ medical jargon but i think that the link you posted is saying that ingesting starchy carbohydrates lowers the "load" of glutamate? It seems to be the case for me although I don't want to test it too much. I really am not a big eater of potatoes and had pretty much stopped eating them as I felt they caused me to gain weight. But an interesting thing happened today...I made some cannelloni beans in my slow cooker. Now realize that its not the best way for me to cook anything these days. However, the beans turned out great and i think I was having a bit of an msg headache today and after eating those starchy beans, the headache seems to be subsiding, although my tinnitus is screaming (its volume levels seem to also coincide with what I eat). I've been looking for info on beans on this website but haven't seen much on white cannellini beans. Anyone have reacted to them?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 12:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine, that appears to be what it says. I think it must have to do with the starch raising blood sugar. Per the link below, "low blood sugar levels altered the ability of some neurotransmitter receptors to bind glutamate".

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/2002/FEBRUARY/020215.htm
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 11:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine -- have you looked at either oxalates or salycilates for the tinnitus?

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/magnesium-deficiency1.html
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 2:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Lisa. I'll look into this. I appreciate the post.
millette114@verizon.net
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 3:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine I have been eating the Myth way for 6 and a half years and it is still a work in progress so don't get discouraged. I also crave starchy things when recovering from an msg episode, I just want a potato or crackers with butter it seems to settle the upset stomach that accompanies the migraine. I thought potatoes were the culprit too but found it was when I didn't eat organic potatoes that I had an occurrence, they are one of the veg. that I would say to definitely eat only organic. I do not any Idaho potatoes after reading how they are sprayed a lot from the air. I used to get three migraines a week now I get one once in a while. a huge difference. I would suggest that the slow cooker might be the issue for you also, I don't use mine anymore. I wash the beans good and soak them first, it hastens the cooking without using heat. Keep on working on this, you will be so happy and so much more healthy. As for potatoes making you gain weight, I subscribed to the same idea and avoided them and bread altogether. Once I was eating a free diet (that being rid of free glutamic acid, I lost a lot of weight over a long time, I am talking a couple of years but the numbers are amazing I lost 67 pounds and it has stayed off for 3 and a half years now. I eat potatoes often and bread but not every day, I make my own bread all the time and it is easy and tastes delicious. This web site saved my life. My husband kept a calender for me writing everything I ate down so I could narrow down the culprits. He died 3 years ago and it was an awful time for me, but I survived and this way of eating has made me strong and able to take better care of myself. The calender is an easy way to keep tabs of a food diary. I wish you well, I will be back on the site regularly again, you all helped me so much over the years. Mariann
millette114@verizon.net
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine I have been eating the Myth way for 6 and a half years and it is still a work in progress so don't get discouraged. I also crave starchy things when recovering from an msg episode, I just want a potato or crackers with butter it seems to settle the upset stomach that accompanies the migraine. I thought potatoes were the culprit too but found it was when I didn't eat organic potatoes that I had an occurrence, they are one of the veg. that I would say to definitely eat only organic. I do not any Idaho potatoes after reading how they are sprayed a lot from the air. I used to get three migraines a week now I get one once in a while. a huge difference. I would suggest that the slow cooker might be the issue for you also, I don't use mine anymore. I wash the beans good and soak them first, it hastens the cooking without using heat. Keep on working on this, you will be so happy and so much more healthy. As for potatoes making you gain weight, I subscribed to the same idea and avoided them and bread altogether. Once I was eating a free diet (that being rid of free glutamic acid, I lost a lot of weight over a long time, I am talking a couple of years but the numbers are amazing I lost 67 pounds and it has stayed off for 3 and a half years now. This web site saved my life. My husband kept a calender for me writing everything I ate down so I could narrow down the culprits. He died 3 years ago and it was an awful time for me, but I survived and this way of eating has made me strong and able to take better care of myself. The calender is an easy way to keep tabs of a food diary. I wish you well, I will be back on the site regularly again, you all helped me so much over the years. Mariann
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, thanks for sharing your story and encouragement!

I do think that there is a good reason to have starches when having an episode--low blood sugar impairs the regulation of glutamate at the NMDA receptors, so better to be high blood sugar than low, though we usually avoid this by adding fat -- that butter :-) - to the starch to even out the blood sugar.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 8:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow that is good information LisaS. I find now that I have been free glutamic acid FREE, I have so much energy and I don't have cravings anymore. It is worth the time and effort folks. Mariann
Anonymous

Posted From: 142.237.133.8
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do asparagus contain MSG? I saw that they can be used to create the 5th taste, umani, and now I am concerned about eating them because I think I have finally figured out that my year long battle of strange symptoms may be msg related.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 6:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, asparagus should be just fine, as long as you aren't putting fake butter on it :-)(http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/7/698.html) . Many things can be processed to extract free glutamate but are find to eat in their whole food state. but I've never heard any concerns about asparagus at all.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 11:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think asparagus should be just fine, as long as you aren't putting fake butter on it :-)(http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/7/698.html) . Many things can be processed to extract free glutamate but are fine to eat in their whole food state. I've never heard any concerns about asparagus at all.
wax5151
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 9:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't believe the claims by Trader Joe's that their products do not contain MSG (or sulfites). After trying many of their house brands, I immediately felt the agony of a migraine headache coming on. As a recent article said - they do not disclose any of their sourcing - and do not offer transparency of ingredients to the public. If you are also suffering from migraine headaches after eating their products - PLEASE POST HERE - so others can be warned about the strong possibility that they are using a form of MSG in many of their items. I hope that a national TV program like "60 minutes" or "20/20" investigates all the claims made by Trader Joe's including their labeling practices, manufacturing techniques, and limited disclosure of ingredients, Are we supposed to simply trust this company when they use the terms "organic" "gluten-free" and "all natural?" I truly hope that I'm wrong about this company - but, my headaches after eating their various foods - tell me - I'm right. In my view, they should practice full disclosure like other legitimate food manufacturers. Hopefully, sooner or later the FDA will crack-down on them and put an end to their secrecy.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 4:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trader Joe's sells a "Trader Giotto's Alfredo Sauce". The ingredients include "natural cheddar flavor", which they coyly avoid revealing all of the ingredients of on their package.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=798D327C-4E0B-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

If you look at the linked ingredients for another store's tortilla chips they admit to "Natural Cheddar Flavor" including Autolyzed Yeast Extract.

http://www.tortillas4u.com/Product/nutrition.asp?id={B0DCFF8F-4819-4355-ADD2-736060603B7E}

It makes you wonder if Trader Joe's is deliberately not showing ingredients because they are afraid of tarnishing their image.
Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 4:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to email Trader Joe's customer service center about once a year with questions about product contents. The last two questions were not acknowledged in any way, not even the usual email saying they had received my question and would be responding to it. I have given up and simply don't buy many of their products.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 5:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trader Joe's oddly lists their Natural Cheddar Flavor as including "Natural Cheddar Flavor". If Trader Joe's will label their own company brand product this way it undermines their credibility.

The second web address will not link to the page completely, but the other company's label states: "Natural Cheddar Flavor (Including Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Triglycerides of Coconut Oil)", shedding light on what's probably in the Trader Joe's product.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 7:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are unable to back up claims that their products don't contain MSG and GMOs. So I just assume that everything contains MSG and GMOs unless it's proved innocent by the ingredients list, haha. Just as if I were shopping at any other store, even heath food stores like Whole Foods. :-) I have seen people on this message board saying they let their guard down at TJ's and suffered the consequences. We just have to treat it as any other store.

That being said, I do shop there quite a lot! Their prices seem to be quite reasonable and they have the only coconut milk in a can that I've found that doesn't contain guar gum.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 8:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had great experiences with Trader Joes. I have called their customer service line several times with questions on an ingredient list and have always had all of my questions answered.

I have found many products there I handle really well. It's been a huge blessing to have a store come to the state I live in.
SistineKid
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 2:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was purchasing their Trader Joe's turkey jerky products, both original and teriyaki flavors. The front of the package declares "No added MSG". The ingredients however include hidden MSG ingredients, e.g., Original: turkey, sugar, water, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), apple cider vinegar, salt, flavorings, paprika, natural smoke flavoring, caramel color.

I think technically the label is contrary to the requirements. Regardless, I don't eat it anymore since finding this site in January. You may have read my post about how many "soy sauce" entries are really just clean label high-glutamate flavor enhancer powders, so I am always skeptical of that...especially so on products that typically use (or did use) MSG.

I was in a Trader Joe's store yesterday and many of the products I examined were unsuitable. The Kettle Corn, however, lists only corn, salt, sugar, and oil. Maybe it's okay.
doinit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in thinking way back,,, my problems started after a car wreck when the doctors removed my spleen ,,, progressive problems began,, 3 years later i went totally organic and became VERY HEALTHY ,, but 12-14 years later, i began to backslide on a little of my diet,,,not much, but they sneak MSG in everywhere,,, i read recently that they even use MSG as a pesticide and spray on the crops growing in the fields,, the most significant problem is sleep, but the fibromyalgia (sp) has been coming on for some time,, i eat good at home, but have to many "lunches" with others and the MSG stays in the system for 5 days,,, i think from here on, it's only green teas while out and about,, good luck to everyone,,,,
supermouse
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 7:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just made the connection between MSG and my migraine headaches. I'm totally down with eating gluten, GMOs, and non-organic, though I realize a lot of the MSG-free food also falls under those categories. My biggest issue is: flavoring. How can I make tasty meals if I can't use anything? It seems most stocks/bouillons, sauces, dressings, etc have some form of MSG in. Is there a cookbook out there? I'm going to starve.

I am aware that I can make my own stock and stuff like that, but I am a busy mother of twins, with a full time job. I don't have a lot of free time, or money for the "organic/whatever you call it" lifestyle, though clearly, I have to avoid MSG. I just feel like crying, but I can't do that, because I currently have a raging migraine and crying will make it worse. There is a Trader Joe's near me...maybe they sell some things that would add convenience to my cooking?
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome - lots of information here on the threads and on the main page. Deb has a cookbook you can buy at Amazon or from her.

unfortunately Supermouse this is a "make it from scratch" type of diet. My salad dressing these days is olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pink salt and dried chives. I stopped using other sauces and I don't use any stock/bouillon etc. My meals are simple meat and veggies / salad.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 9:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supermouse!

Trader Joe's DOES have a safe broth that's packed with flavor! I use this one pictured. I avoid chicken and beef broths though unless they're homemade, but you mentioned that you don't have a lot of time. Trader Joe's also has an organic mushroom pasta sauce that is safe for us! Since pastas and soups are staples for my family, you can do a lot with just these two ingredients. Their brown rice pasta is great too. I love flavor and always cook with plenty of salt, pepper, herbs, and spices. You can't go wrong with garlic!

You do have to be careful at Trader Joe's though - just because one pasta sauce, salsa, bag of chips, etc is safe doesn't mean they all are. I've attached an image with all my favorite safe MSG free finds!! I included the jojoba oil just because it's a wonderful multipurpose oil for your skin, face, hair, etc. I swear by it.

Trader Joe's
Maria
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 1:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need help please, I think I am msg sensitive. I know I am aspartame intolerant. I went to the ER with chest pain, pain in my arms, my heart beating very fast, and panic and they could tell me nothing. I have been eating msg free for a few days now and I am still having chest pain when I am not sitting and the feeling that there is a ball in my throat. Also, my blood pressure has been 129/90 when it's usually 120/80. I just want to feel normal again.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,

I hope you have continued eating MSG free. It sometime takes weeks to months for some people to clear what I call residual MSG from their system - especially if you have a history of eating foods on a daily basis that contain MSG. In fact, I used to react exactly the same to natural glutamates in foods until enough time had passed so I had to avoid foods high in natural glutamates like tomatoes, mushrooms and Parmesan cheese for a long time too.

My main symptom was a racing heart rate that would go so high that I would sometimes pass out.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out