Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Thanks for the diet as I wait for the...

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection" » Thanks for the diet as I wait for the book « Previous Next »

Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for this great resource and to everyone for sharing their experiences. I am also finally sick of getting sick. I thought I was pretty good at avoiding msg. Come to find out, I have a lot to learn about the hidden msg.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 5:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lee -

I think we all did when we came here - I know I was looking when I was reacting to a Thanksgiving turkey and knew MSG was not listed in the self-basting stuff ingredients.

Basically anything processed is probably going to have it so my diet has become more and more simple over time - still have some vices and sometimes I react but my diet is so much cleaner than it was a few years ago.
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 3:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Sarah. We used to joke about everyone being in a 'Thanksgiving coma', thinking it was from over indulging. Looking back, there are so many times when it wasn't too much salt, it was hidden MSG.

I am so excited about eating clean! I feel terrific now. It's the best feeling in the world to know I don't have to drag through the rest of my life exhausted and in pain.

:-) Lee
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 9:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

turkey does have l-tryptophane in it which does promote sleep.

I'm glad you hear you are doing better. When I did the trial diet for a week I felt best I had in years - not great but definitely better. I have gone on to discover other problems too.
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 1:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, That just doesn't seem fair at all. Dealing with msg sensitivity is plenty to have to handle. Hope your discoveries helped your well-being and health.

My book arrived and It is attached to me, I understand now when folks mentioned they wore theirs out. Mine goes everywhere with me. I can't read it fast enough. And I'm thrilled to eat something besides brown rice.
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 4:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to have to keep a better food diary. I've been adding food back in too quickly and I can't tell exactly which ones I'm reacting to. I was so excited to try things I got ahead of myself. Back to the test diet and foods I'm certain about.

Even with my little slips I am getting much less Msg (and Processed Free Glutamic Acid) than before. So thankfully it's just "low-level" reacting.

Does anyone have any advice on holiday eating at someone else's house? I plan on bringing a side dish I can eat. But I am not getting anywhere near a turkey or a ham. Truthfully I am not comfortable eating anything that I haven't made myself, which is going to be a little awkward.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 6:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lee,

Holiday eating CAN be awkward. But at this point I feel like what's worse is to just eat foods with MSG in them simply to be polite. People that are vegan don't eat animals just to be polite, so why should we eat things that aren't on our diet? I know that it can offend our friends and family when we don't try their dishes. But I think the bottom line is that it's more about them and their reaction than it is about us. If they're going to be offended, then we just have to allow them to be offended and try to not take it personally.

I'm lucky because my mom and her partner are on board with leaving MSG out of the holiday festivities. I feel immensely blessed. And my husband doesn't try to debate on it, either. But when I do eat out at potluck situations, I try to bring at least a couple of choices. Then I just eat the food I bring and don't eat everyone else's food. Yeah, it's awkward, but I can't live my whole life apologizing for my diet. ;)
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2014 - 10:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ada, you are completely right. I think I have to communicate this to my extended family like it's a food allergy. Most will be understanding. At home I am lucky as well, my hub is very supportive and when he cooks he's very careful it's MSG-free/clean/whole-food.

I can now see the appeal of a RV. I am going to have to get organized and come up with food to eat on the road and some potluck dishes that travel well. Have cooler will travel.

Lots to learn. Everyday I am so thankful for this website and for everyone's info. There's is always some food, ingredient, or symptom I'm searching. I feel very blessed to only react from MSG and that my symptoms aren't any worse. It's been a big eye opener to finally make the MSG connection. Most people have no idea it's this bad for folks.
Lori4chocolate
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 6:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lee & Sarah, this is my first post but I can tell you that even with that being said I've spent days trying to read every post on this super informative sight, its a wealth of information! I thought I was as clean as I could get, preparing all of my food from scratch over the last year. But now I see msg is in personal care products, our fish and even organic chicken. I'm now starting the basic 2 week diet, will be picking up local farm chicken & beef today and I feel awful. I'm starting to wonder if there is any clean food or products out there, sigh
Anonymous

Posted From: 108.233.128.45
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 10:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Introduced to this product line (from India) by a friend who purchased it at Costco. Publix Supermarket (International Food
section) is well stocked with variety, it's available at Target, Amazon, etc. Majority of their products do not contain MSG.
I can't speak for their Asian product line tho - so read all labels first. Nevertheless, their ingredients might also provide ideas
for you to make from scratch.

Products are portable, flavorful, hearty, saucey, convenient 10 oz pouches, cost-effective & great when pinched for time.
Add vegetables, serve over rice, with a potato, etc & it's ready in minutes.

888-827-8900 9am-5pm EST M-F.

http://www.tastybite.com/where-to-buy/

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tastybite&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=50083435011&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12169021196798809784&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4awnzn332a_b&_hy_ex=t

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5780267758039857283?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS605US606&espv=2&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=tasty+bite+madras+lentils&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.80185997,d.eXY&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=653&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vDhuVKaCLcSjNpK2grAO.1416509629791.3&sa=X&ei=xThuVJDPNsyagwTtyIDwDQ&ved=0CKgBEL4k

Pat
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 9:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,I would be hesitant to try many of their products such as this one, in which they claim not to use MSG. http://www.tastybite.com/products/teriyaki/
Anonymous

Posted From: 108.233.128.45
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2014 - 1:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I agree......that's why I specifically stated:

'Majority of their products do not contain MSG.
I can't speak for their Asian product line tho - so read all labels first.'

I've only used their Indian products (not the Asian) & even then, I read all labels first.

Play it safe & read ALL labels - that applies to Tasty Bite & ALL product labels everywhere.

Tasty Bite does sell many products that do NOT contain MSG.....just be sure to read the label first.
Pat
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 6:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Anonymous, including the ones with "natural flavoring".

http://www.tastybite.com/products/vegetable-tikka-masala/

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/reasons-vegans-read-labels-natural-flavorscastoreum.html
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lori, welcome. I'm brand new too. And you are further along in this journey than I am. I just started eating super-clean/whole/msg-free about a month ago. Good luck with the Test Diet. I hope you have good results. I had a pretty good diet beforehand and was suprised at how much better I felt after a few days.

I don't know anything yet about the health care products. I got a little overloaded and decided to focus on one thing at a time. The ingredients on shampoo alone are like reading Chinese. I have no idea what anything is. I did find some info that may be helpful on the Food Babe website. Forgive me if this has already been posted.

Lee

http://foodbabe.com/2013/04/10/throw-this-out-of-your-bathroom-cabinet-immediately/
lori4chocolate
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 6:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Lee I'll check out food babe. I noticed a huge difference after just 3 days on the diet with daily headaches/migraines pain intensity and I'm getting many hours every day with no headache. Gosh to think I've had such awful, awful headaches on a daily basis for soooo many years. Just getting local beef and chicken and cutting out wild caught fish, and store chicken as well as oats, nuts & gelatin capsules has made such a difference. Going to try a new shampoo today!
Mariann Millette
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 6:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been told I need to take probiotics. I am looking at TruBiotics does anyone know if these are safe. The ingredients seem scary to me since I have been on the no msg eating way since 2007. Ingredients are Anhydrous Sugar, skim milk, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, yeast extract, sodium ascorbate, less than 2 % of inostol, magnesium stearate, sodium glutamate, titanium dioxide (color) I have not posted in a long time and have been very well, only an occasional migraine these days. This site gave me back my life. If this one is not good, do you have any suggestions. I have been told I can eliminate the capsule and sprinkle the powder on food, that will eliminate some of the ingredients. Mariann
carol mc
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 5:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've been eating "clean" for 5 1/2 years now. I have never posted before, so first I need to thank Deb A. and all the other people here who have offered their advice and experiences. I still suffer with chemical sensitivity and occasional vertigo, but I've come such a long way from barely functioning from migraines, heart palps, and not being able to eat anything!
Mariann, I wanted to offer my advice on probiotics since they were also instrumental in my healing. I use www.customprobiotics.com and they have been a godsend. Their formulas contain no additives of any kind, just powdered strains of good bacteria that you mix with water and drink. Most people have sticker shock when they see the prices, but at the dose I am using now it breaks down to about $25 a month which is very reasonable since it works so well. I use the Six Strain powder but if you have any questions about what to order, the owner seems to have a good reputation for helping people figure out what they need. Hope you find this helpful, since after looking at the ingredients list for the TruBiotics, I would definitely be reacting big time! They also offer capsules, so if you're not as sensitive as some you could certainly choose that option, as they are also additive free. Anyway, just wanted to offer this alternative because I know how difficult it is when having to try something new.
Best of luck,
Carol

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page