Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Out of hope

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection" » Out of hope « Previous Next »

Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Deb's book, and have read it over several times. I fully agree, and believe that MSG causes most if not all of my chronic health issues. The problem is that I just can't seem to make it work, make the right changes, eat the right stuff to feel better. I have celiac, so I don't eat gluten. I also do not eat dairy, soy, corn or sugar because of intollerances and digestion reasons. I have hypoglycemia that is out of control and seems like no matter what i do, I can't regulate it. Osteoperosis, depression, extreme anxiety, extreme irritability, constapation, fatigue, and lots of digestion issues. Preparing meals is hard due to lack of time between graduate school, internship, classes and two other jobs. There is also the issue of hormonal imbalances which recently has caused me to have four cycles in five weeks. My doctor has put me on progesterone from a compounding pharmacy made from wild yams. I know its not the best, but having that many menstural cycles in five weeks isn't good either. I do take suppliments to help me with some of the issues like vit. d, chromium, calicum, probiotics and enzymes. The only medication I am on is Provigil for my narcolepsy. I have not found a natural treatment for narcolepsy, and if I don't take it i will fall asleep, and frequently, through the day, and that scares me, and I can't function without it. I also have been tested for and have a confirmed issue with breaking down (meytholating) folate and folic acid. I two MTHFR mutations, and am on a homocystien support for that that allows my body to break them down. I just wondered if anyone else out there has experience in dealing with no gluten, MSG, corn, dairy, soy and sugar, and or with the other health issues and how they got through it. I know suppliments are questionable, non-organic fruits, veg, meats and other foods are not the best either. Is it possible to get some relief from eliminating as much as possible without going off necessary meds or buying all organic foods? (I live in a small town, and nearest place that has organic options is 45 min away)I feel like I sound like a hypochondriac, but I have blood work and test results to confirm. But I am beginning to think its all in my head. Is there hope?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 3:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, there is hope....and you've come to a great discussion board with people here who are sure to offer good suggestions. Although I certainly don't have all the issues you are dealing with I have had to take prescription meds off and on. I think the most important thing is to eat whole foods, even if you don't have access to organic. By eating whole foods you are eliminating a great deal of MSG or FGA (free-glutamic acid), as just about everything processed/packaged contains it. Once you find a meal that works for you, make it in a large quantity and freeze portions that you can pull out for quick meals. I've adjusted my way of eating to mainly simple, easy food...no frills, just plain food. And once you get used to that it becomes really fast and easy to prepare a meal. Some supplements come in powdered form so you can avoid additives you would find in tablets/capsules. All you can do is the 'best you can' and I think that after a while you will notice a change for the better. Good luck.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 8:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you looked into Paleo eating. Ive just started to look at it and have implemented a few changes here. It pretty much excludes all the foods you exclude. It maybe worth a look...
If you are on facebook there are a lot of paleo blogs on their that will point you in the right direction.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brianna, I'm sorry to hear about your issues. :-(

I'm on a similar diet with no gluten, MSG, corn, dairy, or soy. :-) I also elliminated all GMOs such as cottonseed, sugar beets, and canola. And I am loving it. <3
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 1:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also... about having extra period cycles... I haven't read this officially, but I have heard from a friend that underwent a detox (through juicing) that she got an extra period. The same thing happened to her friends when they underwent the detox. There were no supplements or bottled products or juices used... they just drank freshly made vegetable juice. Their only hypothesis was that their bodies were cleaning themselves out... after all a period is a detoxification process. :-) Also, keep in mind that things sometimes get worse before they get better, due to extra toxins getting temporarily released into your system.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got an extra period when giving up wheat. My body seemed most confused. But it all settled within a month or two :-)
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hormones adjusting to / impacted by other changes?
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 1:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your knowledge and suggestions. Di, I agree that the place to start is doing "the best we can". It this point in my life I can't stop taking my medication and a few supplements. My intestines were such a mess before I found out I had celiac that I do need them to help me heal, and they have helped. But If i can take the toxic load off in other areas (that I continue to learn about every day), then I will be better than I am today.
Ali- I have tried Paleo, and I love the concept, and the great websites with a million different recopies. When I discovered it, I jumped in feet first, bought a bunch of stuff, cooked up a storm, and reacted to all of it, and was so overwhelmed because they all used different ingredients that I wasn't used to and didn't know where to start with figuring out which one was causing me headaches and nausea. I did figure out it was the shredded coconut (I did use organic) and coconut flour (organic), and the almond flour (not organic) and some of the spices. I need to re-visit that and go slower, not using everything they say all at once so that I can learn what works and what doesn't.
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AdaLovelace,
I am happy to hear that you have been through this and are doing well! What do you eat and how did you come to feeling so great? Trial and error on even the non-msg things? That is interesting that you too had added cycles. I gave up wheat 2 years ago, but slowly though this journey, I have given up other things too that are not gluten related, so its a possibility. Thanks for sharing that with me :-)
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 1:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn,
I didn't really think about that, but my doctor previously had me on DHEA for a few months before that happened in effort to balance out hormones because I was really low in testosterone and DHEA. Delicate balance. I wish I had a restart button!
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 1:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AdaLovelace,
One more thing, did you ever have a problem with potato flour or starch, and palm fruit shortening? I'm assuming the shortening is a no no because its processed, and probably the potato starch as well because corn starch is to be avoided. I am also having a difficult time with spices. anything but sea salt and cracked pepper seems to give me problems, even organic and fresh.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 3:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brianna, It's sad that our food supply has had so much done to it by the time it comes to the grocery store. Anything that is in a bottle, jar, package has been processed - even spices (some more than others). Perhaps trying to eat more simply, ie. only whole foods without anything done to them (except what you might do in preparation). Then as your system calms down you can add one thing at a time, very slowly to see if you react. Just a thought.
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di, That is a good point, even if it came from the best of the best, if its processed, I could react. I agree with clearing the counter and starting again with just simple things. I was thinking that last night as I was experimenting with different veggies in my blender. I'm just not experienced in jucing/blending. I know the fiber is good, so just jucing everything looses that. I'll have to read up on it a little bit more. Have you tried it before?
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 2:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brianna,
I eat a lot of potatoes, eggs, rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, brown rice pasta, organic chicken, organic grass fed beef, and the occasional wild caught fish. For a treat I have dark chocolate or olive oil potato chips (and by treat I mean almost every day, haha). I don't crave junk food much anymore, so I'm pretty stoked about that. :-) I love freshly made fruit and vegetable juice. I make it at home or buy fresh juice from Whole Foods. Don't worry about losing the fiber--the health benefits of juicing are ASTOUNDING!!! (Check out the film Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead--it's available on Netflix.) My favorite thing right now is coconut water from Harmless Harvest that is unpasteurized: http://www.harmlessharvest.com/WORLD-S-BEST-COCONUT-WATER. It's really good and quite expensive, but I think it's my medicine, haha. I got off of all supplements after coming on these boards. That's saved me a lot of money! Woohoo!

Many so called organic spices can contain MSG. Usually it's hidden under citric acid or just "spices." I've seen these at Whole Foods and other health food stores. However if the spices and foods that you're eating do not contain MSG, it's likely that you're reacting to them just because your body is confused at the moment and doesn't know what it's reacting to... if that makes any sense. When it gets out of whack it just starts reacting to everything. I've seen a bunch of people on the message boards as well as my own family members that start reacting to things that they aren't even intolerant of. I believe that when the body gets back to its natural state of healing, then you'll stop reacting to those things. Another reason we sometimes react to things that are otherwise safe is because of fear. If we're scared of what we're eating then that sends a chain reaction through our digestion system. My doctor told me to eat with the intention of love. It helps.

I do occasionally eat things like potato starch and palm fruit shortening. ;) They do sound quite processed so I try to keep it at a minimum. :-)

I hope that helps! I was also diagnosed with mild narcolepsy but I'm much more wakeful now.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brianna, No, I don't juice - I just eat the fruit/veggies whole. Getting used to just eating whole foods with almost nothing on them or done to them except a little cooking didn't happen overnight. I slowly got used to it....and your know when you are really hungry how good even the plainest foods taste. I only eat for sustenance now and not for any other reason. It took a while but I rarely have any of the symptoms that led me to this diet, so I will stay on it for life. It is sooooo worth it.
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AdaLovelace,
Thanks for the like for the film Fat, Sick, and nearly Dead. My manager was talking about that a while ago, said he watched it on Netflix, but coudn't remember what it was called, and I have been wanting to watch it.
I do agree when the body is out of sorts, it reacts to everything. But I have been doing some more research, using Deb's book as a foundation, and found that some people (not all) can be sensitive to food chemicals (MSG as we know) as well as Salicylates and sulfates. Herbs and spices have many many natural Salicylates I am finding. I found it interesting that some of the off the wall foods that I am reacting too are high in these silicylates. I'm just avoiding them for now, eating very simple like discussed in earlier posts, and then try one at a time to see how I feel. I do believe the mind is very strong, and I have high anxiety to begin with, so that could be an issue too. I am glad to here that you feel more wakeful now, dispite being diagnoised with mild narcolepsy. That is very encouraging to me!
Brianna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di-
Thanks for sharing, and I agree, when you are really hungry, even plain lettuce tastes better than it did before. I find this expecially true when I have long days at work and have school after. I can pack the plainest raw veggies in a salad with nothing on it and its great because I am hungry. At home, its not so appitizing!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page