Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Erythema Nodosum?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection" » Erythema Nodosum? « Previous Next »

ErinC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 5:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I'm new here but trying to piece together the cause of my symptoms. I do believe I have reacted badly to MSG in the past (when I used to eat lots of mainstream food, chinese takeout, etc.). I had heart palpitations, anxiety, chest tightness, etc. Very scary! I also had other issues at the time: weight gain and hypothyroid. I smoked and was on Nuvaring (birth control). Hard to say what caused what. But after becoming fed up, I switched doctors (they all just wanted to treat symptoms with medications, not find the root cause), I quit smoking, cleaned up my diet, went gluten-free.

Fast forward five years. I just had a very healthy baby after an uncomplicated pregnancy. Went off thyroid meds, and thyroid tests keep coming back normal. I no longer have most of these symptoms, thank goodness. BUT, my ankles still get swollen from time to time and I still react to gluten (stomach pains, gas, etc.). I've also had rash/swollen spots on my shins, which I think is "erythema nodosum". This showed up a couple of months after giving birth. I read it could be a reaction to gluten. I'm wondering though, could it be MSG? I've also been very tired, but just attributed that to being a new mom. Also, does MSG get into breastmilk?
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin,
Welcome to the group!

I don't know if the swollen ankles would be from MSG or Gluten (we all react so differently). The only way to get a clear cut answer is to eliminate the questionable food from your diet and see if it helps.

Are you on a strict gluten free diet right now?
ErinC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mostly strict gluten-free, and have been for two years. I've had 3 blood tests for celiac -- all negative, so I was never totally "sure" gluten was the problem, always a bit befuddled by my digestive problems. I just knew I felt better off of it. I mostly cook at home, but I do go out to eat sometimes and always tell waiters that I'm gluten-free. I usually stick to steak or salmon, baked whole potato or rice, and veg/salad (with just olive oil), if possible when I'm out. Sometimes I react anyway, and just always assumed something was cross-contaminated.

I used to bake my own GF bread occasionally from Pamela's mix. I always got a little gassy, and finally traced it back to the mix. After the baby was born, I started eating Udi's gluten free bread - probably around the same time the swelling showed up. I did not seem to get any immediate reactions, but it out Udi's has loads of MSG and other corn derivatives. I don't think I reacted immediately, but hard to say if there was a delayed reaction. I haven't really felt good since before the baby was born. Actually, I made a few soups using unsalted organic veg boullion (Rapunzel), and tried to give some pureed to my 7-month old. He reacted so strangely, I looked up the previously benign-sounding "yeast extract" and that is how I found this group. Needless to say, all boullion cubes are now in the trash, along with numerous other baking and cooking items, and it also explains my 3-day headache that time.

I got the Weston A Price cookbook for XMas, and was very excited at the prospect that my problem may be MSG and/or lack of soaking grains, not actually gluten. Just to see, I baked a spelt bread after soaking the grains. I did react, but not as badly as I thought I would. Some stomach "gurgling" but no sharp pains that I usually feel when glutenized (or is it all MSG?). So I know I do react immediately to MSG in large quantities (like the yeast extract), and I also react to non-MSG gluten (spelt). But so hard to say whether either of these are causing the swelling.

Now, (last two weeks), I've stopped all food additives to the best of my knowledge, am totally gluten-free again, and am cooking at home mostly. We found a local farmer, so are doing raw milk and pastured meats. The rash is better, but still there. I suppose I am probably both gluten-intolerant AND MSG-damaged. Or gluten-intolerant BECAUSE of the MSG. How depressing! I guess I'm wondering, if I'm really good about avoiding MSG from now on, might it be possible to have wheat bread again (homemade of course) at some point in the future?
ErinC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...assuming I'm not actually celiac, of course. One doctor suggested the DNA testing, but I haven't done that yet.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your gluten intolerance and your msg intolerance are probably unrelated but you may never know.

If you feel better being gluten free, stick with that for a few years, then do a challenge and see how you do.

I know it's a hard diet. My DD is gluten intolerant (along with milk, soy and eggs). I hope you are able to find a diet that works well for you.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 7:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin, just to say that i would say in my experience that msg does get into breast milk. I had to stop eating all msg when feeding my very sensitive daughter.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page