Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Query on sour cream

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection" » Query on sour cream « Previous Next »

sparkler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 1:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is sour cream likely to be high or low in free glutamate?

Ingredients are Pasturised cream, culture,

Thanks, Sparkler
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 2:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sparkler,

If those are the only two ingredients you may have found a safe brand. Often harmful ingredients, particularly carageenan, are added.
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daisy Sour Cream is a safe brand. At least the regular - I would not try the lowfat one.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 6:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Daisy all the time. It is a real treat for me. I am making my own dip with dill, Kosher salt, oregano, all organic. I even added a bit of sugar to some the other day to dip fresh safe strawberries from my neighbor. I am late late, getting my garden started, but I am now at it daily. Good therapy, in the fall I am getting some strawberry plants from my nephew, all organic. I had those strawberries the other day and it was the first fruit I have had successfully in ages. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, I have read about some of the old varieties of strawberries making a serious comeback. They are typically much smaller but much tastier as well. Blueberries are in season here and I am getting up my nerve to buy some at the farmers market. I haven't had the best luck with fruit in a long time, either. I was just thinking of making a sweet potato pie and topping it with sour cream mixed with sugar. I guess great minds think alike.

I use daisy full fat sour cream in all my cooking since the milks available here in the stores are all enriched with corn oil and corny vitamins. I just mix it with water and use in place of milk and it actually makes dishes tastier than milk. Macaroni and cheese is much better with sour cream than milk and bread and biscuits turn out much better, too.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 4:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Kristy the strawberries I had were small and sweet as could be, red all the way through. Most are just red on the outside and white inside. I can't wait to get the plants from my nephew, next year will be just great with my own berries. I am going to a berry farm near my brothers house to get some blueberries when they are in season here in New England. I like the idea of Daisy for cooking how much water to daisy for the recipe. How do you do biscuits and mac and cheese. Is it on your blog? I have not been researching for a while, just getting my feet wet again. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, It's good to "hear your voice". I am looking for some of those strawberries but haven't had any luck here. We were able to get blueberries last week at the farmers market since they are in season. We bought from two different vendors and the berries from one of them are almost tasteless. Weird. I am looking forward to making some freezer jam.

I really need to get my son to make mac-n-cheese so I can take pictures and add it to my blog. (It's his specialty) I need my daughter to add her blondies (they're her specialty) and I took pictures while making pies but haven't added them yet. The biscuits I just mention briefly on my quick breads recipe page, but I usually mix about half sour cream to half water for recipes. One trick I discovered when making biscuits is to put the dough into the pan (rectangle pan) and then to just score them for individual biscuits. They break away perfectly when baked and you don't have to worry about overworking the dough and getting tough biscuits. (Seems to be a common mistake - sure was common for me) It is also much, much faster which I love.

I did add my pizza recipe to the blog, but somehow don't have any pictures of us making pizza. I will add pictures next time we make it. I also need to write up the recipe for beef stroganoff. I made some last week with stew meat and frozen broth and it was a huge hit! Daisy sour cream comes through for me again. :-)
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 5:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy I will be looking at the recipes on your blog later, I also want to order some of the coconut oil, sans sulphites that you use. The tropical traditions products and Amazon. I think the idea of scoring the bisquits is great, I overwork the dough also and I think I can get thicker bisquits your way. do you roll it at all or just press it in. Thanks for the tips Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just plop it into the pan and then use my hands to flatten it enough to reach the sides of the pan only. I also brush melted butter on the top after scoring them. This is making me want to bake some biscuits.:-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 8:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, we need your blog address again...please?
guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 7:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 5:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

guruofmsg, isn't this Emily's site?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 6:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think it is emilys site. its a fantastic site all the same.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Guys,
My blog is: http://www.livingitupcornfree.com/
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guruofmsg and Kristy!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 9:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my mom & i just got back from a trip to eastern oregon, where we stayed with the most wonderful historical b&b- they do just about EVERYTHING from scratch, as a history lesson on how folks used to do it in the old days (www.northendcrossing.com)

we were sharing with them a little about our various food & chem sensitivities and learned that one of their adult sons who lives elsewhere has recently discovered some in his family are very sensitive to corn... i told them about you, kristy, and they were interested to learn more

i am sending them links to this website and kristy's blog- and now emily's blog as well- thankx gize!!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 7:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, I love it. I have been reading about how prevalent corn allergy or intolerance has become. I personally know seven people that are having problems with corn/food additives that just won't face it. I know that anyone with a serious health problem should look at removing additives from their diet because they cause our bodies to work harder so they compound health issues and delay healing. If you think about it, eating food additives is just a matter of counting on our bodies to filter out all those toxins and that may be too much for an ailing body. It's beyond scary that you have to bring your own food to the hospital (a place for healing) in order to avoid harmful additives.

It's strange to me that no one really believes additives are healthy or even harmless, but most people just consume them anyway because it's easier. It's only when people realize that they are consuming additives in made-from-scratch meals that they get interested. I think it is because we assume risk when we eat junk food, but feel hoodwinked when we are taking the risk without our knowledge.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page