Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Garlic

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection" » Garlic « Previous Next »

anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last week I had a bad reaction to garlic (itchy skin, blisters in mouth). Could this be an MSG - glutamate type reaction???
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 11:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be. Was it raw garlic or garlic powder or garlic in a dish you cooked yourself? What brand was it?
sparkler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 7:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Kristy.

Well it has been a combination of garlics before I made the connection. Mainly dry powdered garlic used in cooking, also garlic bread and a small slice of a garlic pizza.

I did some sesarching on the web last night and it appears that garlic is very high in natural sulphites so I will watch my diet further to see if this could be the problem.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should also look out for garlic powder from China or cheaper brands that can contain flowing agents made from corn. We don't really use garlic or onion powder anymore. I started using fresh in all my food while I researched a pure brand of spices, but I liked the flavor (and the cost) so much that I just kept that habit. I do keep McCormick's organic garlic powder and onion powder on hand in case of emergency, though.

You may be onto something with the sulfites. Also, watch out for onions, leeks, chives and shallots which are both closely related to garlic and high in sulfites as well.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted here once about garlic - it is very high in both glutamic acid and aspartic acid. Though for the small amounts usually eaten, it's not a big deal. I once roasted and ate an entire bulb, and that was painful....

Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.6.41.232
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 2:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure how garlic and msg are related. I think msg is bad for you, and garlic is good for you, unless you overdo the garlic, and then people may want to you breathe the other way. :-)
Scott (more about Scott)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page