Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mouth Sores

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Mouth Sores « Previous Next »

saljo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last July I started to have prickly skin, no rash, I've had IBS on and off then last October I finally figured out what was wrong with me...MSG! I was going crazy, having panic attacks, doctors were no help. Go to the allergist..."Your not allergic to any foods." Back to my regular doctor..."I could send you to the dermatologist." Then I hit upon Deb's site. It was my saving grace! So for about 9 months now I have been doing pretty good on my new diet, but lately I am having trouble with mouth sores. Today I got them after eating a meal of shredded pork and some sauted (spelling???) peapods. I am very perplexed. This has been happening for about 5 days now. About the only thing I can eat is oatmeal! I know the trigger was the pizza I had 5 days ago. I haven't felt right since. Any advice or suggestions. This is very annoying.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 5:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saljo,Did the shredded pork have any tomatoe ingredients? If the pizza had sauce on it and the shredded pork maybe it is the acid in the sauce. Maybe give your mouth a rest and stay with non acid foods. If I get them I rinse with Kosher salt in water and it helps to heal them pretty quickly. Good luck I wish I had more to tell you. Mariann
saljo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 6:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your quick response Mariann. I was zipping around the website and I think I hit upon my problem. In my shredded pork I had onion and garlic powder. I am sulfite sensitive...and I think it is getting worse. Plus the pizza I ate had onions. I also made homemade granola this weekend and Deb said maple syrup is something to be careful with...so I think I way over extended myself. I am hoping if I lay low for awhile things will straighten out.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 7:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi saljo... most dried or powdered onions & garlic make my mouth break out & tongue raw. so does torula yeast, which is often added to make things taste "oniony-er".

raw onion and leeks in any form also cause a lot of tummy troubles for me, but cooked onion and raw or cooked garlic, shallot & chives so far seem fine. ive also discovered Frontier organic seasonings has some great seasoned salts with no questionable ingredients (and for me, no side effects :-)

hubby on the other hand gets migraines & nasty mood swings from even the smell of raw or cooking onions and can tolerate only the tiniest bit of well-cooked shallot, garlic or chives.

everyone reacts soooo differently... maybe after you have avoided everything long enough for your mouth to heal, you might try experimenting very cautiously to see if you can better pin down specific culprits?
homegrown chives seem the mildest of all, followed by cooked organic garlic & shallot... but on the other end- leeks, brown onions & whatever is in the drying process seem the most harsh. and i would definitely avoid anything with torula yeast (horrible stuff that)...
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

saljo, I would suspect the pork first. We have a really hard time finding safe pork here. Pork is often treated with citric acid and injected with a "broth solution" which we all know is industrial food-speak for MSG. I have also had those mouth blisters from steak tenderizer, raw tomato and raw pineapple.

I cook exclusively with fresh onion and garlic now that I am in the habit and it tastes so much better. I generally find something that is safe and stick with it. I hate trying to find a new source for some food item because the old one is no longer safe.

Try eating the safest and blandest diet for a few days and refrain from making major decisions about your diet for the moment. I find I am extremely sensitive when in the throes of a reaction (these reactions last days for me) so I tend to react to things that otherwise wouldn't bother me. I have worked out a safe diet for us that we always revert to when searching for the cause of a reaction. Keep a food journal and it will help you pin down the source of these reactions.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 4:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saljo, You said,"Today I got them after eating a meal of shredded pork and some sauted (spelling???) peapods. I am very perplexed. This has been happening for about 5 days now. About the only thing I can eat is oatmeal! I know the trigger was the pizza I had 5 days ago. I haven't felt right since."

Yes, perplexing. I'm trying to figure this out....So when the sores began 5 days ago after the pizza, was it immediate? Then they went away?? because you say "today I got them after eating a meal...." So they come and go quickly/every day?
saljo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy and Di...thanks for your responses. I was wondering about garlic powder verses fresh...I guess I had better stay away from powder all togehter. Onions I always use fresh. Di, my problems with pizza started the next day. I had pressure points on my wrists and ankles that HURT! Then the next day I got the mouth sores. Then I had the pork, I also had fresh pinapple (ouch!). Tonight I had pork for supper (fried). I only ate a little...but 30 minutes later I have a few mouth sores. So I better lay low on pork for awhile. Today I also ate tuna (Genova brand, that states olive oil and salt), but I got a very tight chest. So I am guessing there is more in it than that. This is probably the 5th or 6th time I've eaten it in a week and a half. The other times I felt fine....
This is all getting very frustrating...I'm definately going to eat VERY bland for a week and see what happens. Thaks for your suggestions. I just love this site. It is the BEST!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page