Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Oils

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Oils « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading a lot lately about oils since I felt that I reacted negatively to canola or safflower or even sunflower oil. What to cook with? I am currently on a quest for pastured beef fat and pork fat to render into tallow and lard. No joke. I already cook with EVOO and butter but I do want to fry something (like french fries) every once in a blue moon.

Here is just one of the things I found: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/12/omega-6-linoleic-acid-suppresses.html. This is written by a a doctoral candidate in neurobiology. He has a very interesting site jam-packed with good info.

Anyway, I just thought some of you would be interested in this info since thyroid problems abound on this board. I am also looking to include cod liver oil into my diet. I don't look forward to it, but I think it will help. 8^}

BTW, I know some of you are going to give me a hard time about fried food but the sheer labor intensive nature of things like french fries prevents one from indulging in them very often so I don't worry about an occasional treat.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy, what's great about this diet is we all eat so healthy I think we can get away with occasional treats whenever we are willing to make them. :-)

Once people learn about my diet, the most common comment I hear is "NO WONDER you are so skinny, look at your diet, you can't eat a thing!" I just hate this comment as it seems like people think I eat grass and dirt with a side of carrots. I always reply "oh, we eat plenty of sweets on a weekly basis and I love to cook with butter. Eclairs are a favorite." It's amazing how with a diet full of so many healthy things, our bodies (at least my body) responds really well to occasional treats. So enjoy your french fries! :-)

As for the oil, I've found I'm using EVOO and pure oil olive more and more. Safflower oil is so expensive here and I really enjoy the taste of olive oil.

I'm also experimenting with saving the rendered fat from my chicken broth to use later in cooking (I keep it in the freezer). I've been using it for sauteing vegetables and such.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, you may want to look into Grape Seed Oil. Not sure about using it to fry with, but you could try to find info on the net about that. It has a high smoke point (tolerates high heat) and is better than EVOO in that respect.

Coconut Oil, which also has a high heat tolerance, is another to try - although I am not convinced I don't have reactions to it as coconuts do contain glutamates, but may be worth it for you to give it a try for an alternative oil to use.
Kim
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyoone had a reaction to Peanut Oil (not expeller pressed)Iím not sensitive to Peanuts or Peanut Butter, (just a little indigestion). My husband is more sensitive to peanuts, but didnít have as much of a reaction to the peanut oil as I did. (Weíve also had similar reactions to Canola Oil, not expeller pressed). We fried some chicken breast (organic) that we had cut up in small pieces, breaded with unbleached white flour (Hodgsonís Mills, Iíve never had any reaction to that),(breading: Real salt, onion powder and garlic powder) dipped in organic whole milk. The second food we fried in the peanut oil was some okra, with a breading of the unbleached white flour, corn meal, and same seasonings as above, dipped in the org. whole milk. Iíve not had reactions before to these foods when cooked either in olive oil or Safflower Oil. I posted this message yesterday, but could not find it today. Still new at this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page