Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bad reaction after eating!

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Bad reaction after eating! « Previous Next »

miche
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please help . I feel like I am dying , the only thing I ate that I haven't made myself is a product called map-o-spread, it contains agar agar, potassium sorbate and glucose and color , could the agar be msg? I cannot find it on the list , if anyone knows about this product I would be so grateful
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 2:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Miche,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad reaction.

A quick check of wikipedia says:
Agar or agar agar is a gelatinous substance derived from seaweed. Historically and in a modern context, it is chiefly used as an ingredient in desserts throughout Japan, but in the past century has found extensive use as a solid substrate to contain culture medium for microbiological work. The gelling agent is an unbranched polysaccharide obtained from the cell walls of some species of red algae, primarily from the genera Gelidium and Gracilaria, or seaweed (Sphaerococcus euchema). Commercially it is derived primarily from Gelidium amansii.

Agar (agar agar) can be used as a laxative, a vegetarian gelatin substitute, a thickener for soups, in jellies, ice cream and Japanese desserts such as anmitsu, as a clarifying agent in brewing, and for paper sizing fabrics.

Chemically, agar is a polymer made up of subunits of the sugar galactose. Agar polysaccharides serve as the primary structural support for the algae's cell walls.

--------------------

The first two words: gelatinous and seaweed should be huge red flags.

I'll confess I didn't know what it was till I checked; it wasn't one of the common msg buzzwords that I was familiar with before checking.

Regards,
Mike
Marsha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 2:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone ever had a reaction to grass fed beef. I ate grass fed ground beef and within minutes had terrible abdominal pains, felt very sick and had stomach aches. A few weeks later the same reaction after eating the rib eye steak. I called the Missouri Grass Fed Beef Company where I bought the beef at our local farmer's market and he could not understand it. I just can't figure this out. I read all ingredients since battling msg for years. I can eat ground beef from Shop and Save Grocery but thought I should be eating grass fed. Help-any ideas. Thanks
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 2:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This doesn't sound like an MSG reaction to me. The symptoms are closer to those of food poisoning.
Marsha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only thing is that my husband ate one of the rib eyes at the same time and he was ok.But it still might be food poisoning. The man I bought the beef from said he has had no complaints. He seemed very concerned.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 1:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marsha, it's the speed of the reaction that surprises me.

A link:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodborneIllness/FoodborneIllnessFoodbornePathogensNaturalToxins/BadBugBook/ucm070015.htm
Marsha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 3:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I think you are right. I was probably the unlucky one that got the tainted meat, not that I would wish that on anyone. Thanks
James D.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am hypersensitive and I eat 1/4 lb grass fed beef daily and the only problem I had was when I accidentally overcooked it which releases free glutamate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page