Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Medicines

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Medicines « Previous Next »

Debbiebol
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I read in your book that your doc put you on a different thyroid pill after you found out you were allergic to msg, but you didn't say which one. Would you mind telling me? I've been on synthroid for 11 years.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 8:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bounce around with my thyroid meds, unfortunately. My doctor has changed my dosages quite a bit, since I think my needs change both with age and with the amount of glutamate that I ingest...natural. Right now I am on Synthroid and am doing fine. I was on Armourthroid, but it's been hard to get lately. I was suspecting that I was reacting to the dextrose they started to use as a filler.
Karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am new here. I was wondering if there is a difference between organic and hertigate seeds? Also what is the best way to store seeds?
Anonymous

Posted From: 66.242.72.15
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I get the name of a good safe digestive aid? Also what kind of magnesium , B6, CoQ10, and Taurine do I get from Beyond-A-Century? Thanks in Advance!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen,

An heirloom plant is an open-pollinated cultivar that was commonly grown during earlier periods in human history, but which is not used in modern large-scale agriculture.

Organic takes it a step farther - it is the practice of producing crops by avoiding the use of synthetic chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, and growth regulators.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen, the best way to store seeds are sealed in an airtight (ziplock) bag in a freezer. It is best to buy new seeds from year to year (to get the most amount of seeds to germinate) but if you want to save some, the freezer is your best option.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon,

Tri-Salts for calcium, potassium and magnesium from www.needs.com is the brand most people here buy.
karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading about the flouride that they are now putting in the dog foods! Does any one have a name of a safe dry dog food or a good recipe for dog food? We have 5 dogs!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 3:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen,

I've never tried the freezer, I always save my [real dry] cucumber seeds in an envelope in a dry cupboard and have great success.
SaraB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Does anyone know what norflurane is? I was worried about my "new" HFA inhalers. I have had burning low back pain, sciatic pain, headaches and such when I use my long acting inhaler and short acting inhaler. At first I was convince that there was ethanol in them, since I have a really hard time with corn. Well, I talked to the pharmacist and they said the only inactive ingredient in the Ventolin HFA and Advair HFA was the norflurane. Not sure if that would bother me or not. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to msg and corn and just about everything at this point. I just realized my old faithful ibuprofen now has corn starch in it, so I need to find an ibuprofen without it. I'm really a mess still, especially since I was taking the ibuprofen with corn starch and didn't realize it for a while. Kept trying to figure out what was off, didn't occur to me to check the ib until a couple of weeks. Yuck. Anyway, any ideas for "safe" ibuprofen and what this norflurane is, would be great. I tried to look it up, but was very confused. Thanks...Hope all is well with all of you wonderful peoples!! Smiles...Sara
SaraB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 6:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this accurate? Norflurane = Tetrafluoroethane = Corn Ethanol???!!! Is this accurate....Norflurane is the inactive ingredient in both of my inhalers... I seem to get major low back pain, sciatic pain, hamstring pain, jaw pain, headaches, depression.....
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SaraB,
Norflurane doesn't sound harmless to me.
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/TE/1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane.html
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SaraB,

I am not surprised that they are putting norflurane in inhalers. There isn't a medicine that I have found that didn't have some form of corn in it. What's more, most synthetic vitamins that are used to enrich foods or to make vitamin supplements are derived from corn. I had folic acid/B12 supplements created at a compound pharmacy so that they would contain no corn or soy but they still give me a horrible reaction. I think it is the folic acid itself and not fillers or binders since there aren't any. What's more, I don't think the pharmacist knows that the vitamin itself is made from corn.

I don't know what to tell you to do for your asthma since my and my daughter's asthma disappeared once we cut out all corn and its derivatives. Now you must know that we had to cut out all feedlot meat, anything in a package, all supplements and medicines, skin products like shampoo, soap and lotions, even some fresh vegetables (they must be using some corn-derived agent for prolonging freshness) to avoid it altogether. Even eggs from hens fed corn or soy bother us so we are trying to figure out if we can raise chickens and what will we feed them if we don't use corn....Bottled water gives us a problem (we can't figure out why but it is a corn reaction - we have a reverse osmosis carbon filtering system) and so many other things that I can't even remember right now. My advice is think of everything you put over or onto or into your body and research until you know you aren't ingesting even a drop of corn products (or soy). Check laundry detergent, hairspray, toothpaste, air fresheners, makeup, moisturizers, powder, anti-bacterial anything, cleaners, etc. Also, double-check any foods like salt, spices, canned goods (I can't prove it but I think there is some corn-derived anti-bacterial wash that is used to clean containers for food processing so I avoid anything in a jar, can, plastic wrap, etc.), dairy products, bakery items, anything "vitamin enriched", etc.

It is very disheartening to find that Big Pharma doesn't have any idea how to treat us without corn, or that Big Agra doesn't know how to feed us without corn. It is also horrifying that it is such an onerous task to avoid corn today. Get to know a farmer and buy at farmer's markets when possible. Learn to can, freeze or ferment veggies when they are in season or maybe raise your own chickens for eggs and meat and build a root cellar. Who knows how far we are going to have to go to avoid corn forever, but I suspect we are going to find out. I don't believe we will be in the minority for long, either.
Anonymous

Posted From: 24.179.226.189
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 5:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had a vaccination for Shingles? I see that it is not to be given to anyone who has an allergy to gelatin.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I haven't but I have had shingles before and frankly, I would rather have them again than get any vaccine. I did have a deadening shot of Benzocaine(?) at the dentist and my reaction was so immediate and severe that we couldn't continue. It was horrible.
SaraB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 5:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Roy and Kristy! Typically, fall is a bad season for my asthma and I had been accidentally ingesting some corn products. Hopefully I will be able to get off the inhalers...I know corn is a major trigger for them. It took me years to learn this. Kristy, thank you for all the useful information. I would write more, but I'm exhausted, frustrated and in pain. But, all the wonderful information on this site is bringing me closer to better health. It sounds like you are very limited. I can drink water at least. Thank you again.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SaraB,

How are you doing with your asthma? I was just thinking about you since my daughter had a bout of breathlessness and we know she has had no corn. I believe her out-of-breath feeling is because of candida overgrowth. After looking at her food diary, we found that she was reacting to sugar every time. We were pretty sure we were dealing with candida so were using sugar very infrequently (which made it easier to pinpoint), but this confirmed our suspicions. Anyway, this is definitely a candida problem but it made me think of you and wonder if you have found any relief.

Kristy
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

Just my 2 cents: be careful about jumping to the candida conclusion. I spent the 6 of the last 12 months thinking I had that, and it was terrible. I was pretty conscientious on my diet, didn't have any fruit, or sugar, lost a bunch of weight, was on nystatin (anti-fungal). All that based on my IGG allergy test when showed me off the charts reactive to bakers yeast & brewers yeast.

The problem with Candida is its symptoms are so darn generic, it could be anything. Yes, you can have brain fog from candida, but also from msg and probably lots of other things.

I did have some expensive testing done: leaky gut urine test, stool test, blood test.

The problem with the testing is that if the results are negative, it could be a false negative.

If it is candida, the treatment isn't quick and it is a huge investment.

I wouldn't base it on breathing. That could be a variety of different things.

I don't know the whole story with your daughter, but just offering my recent experience with candida treatment. I"m much happier that it wasn't candida.

Mike
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We aren't doing any treatment for candida except avoidance. We are doing a modified GAPS diet which excludes all candida triggers anyway. We came to the conclusion that we couldn't tolerate sugar or flour before we started GAPS because we all reacted to it. I don't think it really matters why we can't tolerate it - it was just my speculation that it was candida. Our diet had become very limited once we finally excluded anything we reacted to since we have other problems besides glutamate sensitivity, hence our attempt to heal with GAPS. Our current diet is not good for long term nutritional health since it is so limited and the doctors we have seen are so useless, so we are trying to find ways to heal our digestive system. You have to remember that we are damaged from taking in corn for years (in the form of food additives) after our bodies no longer could tolerate it.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morning - I did a search on delayed food allergy blood testing and found an old post in this thread, along with the assertion that escalating food allergies could be a symptom of leak gut?

Still trying to get to the bottom of my food issues and while I have identified msg, soy and sulfites and seen incredible improvement avoiding them and adding taurine to my diet, I feel like I may not have the whole story. I feel that stress is a contributor, since it lowers taurine levels as well. Lately I have been had a couple of very mild reactions that I can point to a possible culprit for the muscle symptoms, but my respiratory symptoms have become increasingly worse and I don't believe I have identified that cause.

I had thought the respiratory symptoms only appeared when I had accidently ingested a large amount of msg, as they only appeared when I had a severe musclular reaction to msg. Now that I seem to have that under control, as I said, the respirtory symptoms seem to be worsening. I suspect spices, but have not been able to pinpoint. Already knew oregano and tumeric cause me problems.

So! To make a long story longer, I will have the delayed food allergy blood test today, in hopes of finding an easy answer :-) ie. Just avoid another food! I'm already eating only fresh foods, though occassionally, I give in to temptation. ie. I had bagels, cream cheese and lox, as is our family tradition for Christmas morning - none of which I would normally eat, though the lox should be safe for me, per the ingredient list. To which I did have a mild muscular, but a moderate respiratory reaction, which was worse the 2nd day.

Anyway! Was looking for input on the escalating respiratory symptoms, as well as any feedback on the delayed food allergy testing. Anyone has a similar experience or tried the blood test? Going to a new practice in Scottsdale (lifescape med) as they talk about this and neurotransmitter testing (and specifically taurine!). Hopefully we are onto something with (finally) a group of knowledgable healthcare professionals that might be worth the extra time and money.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 9:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here I am again - one year after my severe allergy issues and think I know the real reason for the changes. I was prescribed an acid pill by GI doc after being referred to him by the allergist. Turns out the "prozole" meds have a side affect of increasing the severity of food and medicine allergies! Duh! I come from the food allergist to the GI doc for evaluation and he gives me something that makes allergies worse? Shocking that my allergies got worse. I thought acid reducers were pretty benign / standard - but I'll say it again, and this time mean it: I will never take another medication without researching the side effects myself beforehand... So maybe it wasn't my allergy food diet that cured me, maybe it was just that I finished taking the pantoprozole.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn,
This was definitely the case for some of my family members that were on Prilosec for many years. One was finally able to figure out that she didn't have too much acid, she had too little. She said this is a common occurrence amongst people that are prescribed acid reducers. And If you stay on it too long, it can hinder your body's ability to create its own acid long term. :-(
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 7:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ada - and I read that even just an OTC med like Tums can cause this too! Seems obvious as soon as it is explained, less acid to breakdown food, less broken down food can cause allergic reactions.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah it's the opposite of what most people think. Tums also contain dangerous levels of aluminum which can cause many problems on its own.

Apple cider vinegar seems to be excellent for helping digestion and regulating stomach acid.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page