Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Corn tortillas: any safe ones?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Corn tortillas: any safe ones? « Previous Next »

Hoofbeats in heav'n
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 9:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I love corn tortillas. I love so many dishes that utilize corn tortillas. Are there any of you that know a safe brand? One preferably that you have tried that was ok...or even close to ok?

When i first made the msg connection, i had a package of corn tortillas that worked for me....but ive never been able to get another bag of them.

I can eat Ezekiel corn tortillas... But thats not the same thing ,really.

I have tried twice to eat a more traditional corn tortilla since emptying the last of the first bag of clearly safe ones. Both times my experiment failed.

I am in the middle of a reaction from the last trial now. Im feeling sleepy, with anxiety, and not clear minded.

If you have tried one that you think might work for me, could you recommend the brand. Here in oklahoma there are plenty of brands, but mostly, when you read the ingredients, and even the manufacturers, you find they are mostly the same.

I get tired of reading the ingredients. Mostly you have a choice of one with one of the msg name "gums", or you can eat one with sulfuric acid.

Here is one that has neither: it has corn, lime, propionic acid sodium phosphate. Its produced in a facility that handles gluten and soy.

So far no luck with this particular brand. But, it could have been something else i had with it, too. Just feeling confused and a little sad about this. I eat tortillas and eggs for breakfast, and i dont much like flour tortillas, which are hard to find healthy ones anyways.
Hoofbeats in heav'n
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 6:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops. They dont have sulfuric acid. They have fumeric acid. I tend to mix those up. Sorry.

This is an update: i tried the tortilla whose ingredients were listed above, and i didnt have a reaction. I actually think i wrote about the wrong one. I was feeling really lousy that day... I had eaten tortillas for breakfast, but they were actually different ones. ( and i reacted to breakfast...but maybe the skillet was still too hot when i poured the salsa on top of my scrambled eggs)

The ones who's ingredients i listed above ( with corn, lime, propionic acid and sodium phosphate) had a note on it i had written before i was as clear about the msg names... And what was ok or not ok.....i had labeled it with a big" NO", so i wouldn't eat it....and i think when i labeled it i was mixing up phosphates and sulfites...
( i react to labled sulfites, it seems)

I actually tried this tortilla at dinner a couple nights ago, and nothing bad happened. Very tasty too. The ingredients are simpler than most tortillas you'll encounter in grocery stores....,( except the Ezekiel brand ones...which i do eat sometimes as well. but these are mostly found in health food stores)

I even ate these tortillas with the same salsa i had had previously, and i ate 4 or more of them. All was well. No percievable reaction.

These seemingly good tortillas are made by Santa Fe Tortilla Company, in Santa Fe, NM.

I hope they are as good as they seem. I am still a bit new at this... Made my discovery this october.

I have experienced a lot of sucess, but we had out of town company recently, stayed up late, and i took more food risks and am still trying to get back to where i was, after experiencing several reactions while our company was here....and sliding downhill in my ability to fall asleep at night.
( fibromylgia)

Sorry about the confusion.

Anyway, i hope we will continue to be able to find this brand.
Hoofbeats in heav'n
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 6:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For any interested, the Ezekiel corn tortillas dont actually say Ezekiel on them. They are made by Food For Life, which makes Ezekiel bread..
.... ( very unfortunately i react to Ezekiel bread, these days... And am considering writing the company after more research, and asking them to make a version of their bread that is low in processed free glutamic acid...it shouldnt be hard for them to make...just leave out one or two ingredients.... And they will actually be following the original recipe, most likely)

Anyway, the tortillas Are made by Food For Life and they say Sprouted Corn Tortillas, on the front real big. Look for a happy sun, and a dove on the package, it will help you spot it. I am hoping some msg sensitve tortilla lover will see these posts and be able to eat tortillas once again.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page