Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hair Mineral Analysis

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Hair Mineral Analysis « Previous Next »

AdaLovelacae
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 5:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone had any insight regarding testing for heavy metals through hair mineral analysis or otherwise. Aside from the initial costs, some of the practitioners that conduct such tests are pushing $150-$190 worth of supplements per month on patients. I know that most everyone here avoids supplements other than perhaps some basics such as magnesium and taurine. Personally I'm not taking any at all after you guys were kind enough to point out that everything I was using could be detrimental (this was 2.5 years ago).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that western MDs don't seem to promote health, and yet many naturopaths and holistic counselors don't seem to be promoting health and healing either if their main focus is pushing supplements. What I am looking for is a reputable lab that will do heavy metal testing (hair, urine, blood, etc--it doesn't matter what the method is) without pushing pills and without pushing dangerous chelation therapies either. Of course there is also a conflict of interest meaning it could be in the labs' best interest to report elevated levels of metals and depreciated levels of vitamins and minerals in order to push their products.

A friend of mine is following Dr. Wilson's program--he seems to be the #1 search result on Google related to this topic, and he has a list of his approved practitioners worldwide. They all use Analytical Research Labs for testing and Endo-Met supplements. The supplements are selected for each person individually. They seem to be largely vitamins, glandular support supplements, chelated minerals, herbs, and more. You can see their catalog here: http://www.arltma.com/Supplements/Product_Catalog/index.html. What do you guys think? Would taking all this supplements make you feel sick? Has anyone tried these glandulars? Do you think there is any benefit from all of this? I am definitely not planning on taking any of these--I'm just trying to learn as much as I can on the topic.

Basically I just want to do my own testing so I can devise my own detox program using all the tools I have learned on this board and elsewhere. I think nutrition, avoidance of metals, and detoxing is the best way to stay healthy without pills/supplements/chelation, etc.
dI
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 2:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ada, Being healthy has gotten to be a real chore, hasn't it?

Here are five food tips to help you detox heavy metals
(1) Drink lots of purified water through reverse osmosis and carbon filtration or a portable Berkey purifier or similar purifier. Fluoride is rocket fuel for getting aluminum through the blood-brain barrier. Chlorine in tap water can mix with lead in piping to create dangerous lead/chlorine compounds.

(2) Don't underestimate garlic. It's not just an antibiotic. In the 1970s, before lead was banned from paint, Robert I. Lin, president of Nutritional International in Irvine, California, successfully used garlic to detox lead from children.

Dr. Al Sears, MD, also cites raw garlic as an excellent detox food for other heavy metals as well. It's easy to add three to five fresh cloves to your daily diet.

(3) Cilantro is excellent for extracting mercury from your body's organs. Use chopped, organic cilantro as a garnishment for your food or make a pesto out of it. It mobilizes mercury so well, it could overwhelm your liver if you don't use one to five grams of chlorella daily to help flush the mercury out.

(4) This one may surprise you: Studies have demonstrated that probiotics from fermented foods such as sauerkraut, other fermented veggies, and kefirs help detox heavy metals. Commercial yogurt isn't good enough. (http://www.naturalnews.com)

(5) Grapefruit helps eliminate heavy metals. Lemons and limes also help. The pectin in rinds from all citrus fruits is used to create the powerful supplement known as modified citrus pectin, which has demonstrated dramatic heavy metal detox capacity in clinical trials.

Chlorella, by the way, is an intensely concentrated chlorophyl food. So eating lots of dark greens daily adds to your overall heavy metal detox capacity. Veggies also contain fiber to help eliminate heavy metals flushed out of organs and lingering in the lower GI tract.

It's important to understand that using conventionally grown veggies recycles toxicity back into your system. So try to consume all organic or at least use the following list to avoid the most heavily sprayed crops. (http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/guide/)

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/039338_mercury_heavy_metals_detox.html#ixzz2rDmUOAVx
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 5:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Di for all the great info. I have heard a lot about the benefits of fermented foods, but I avoid all fermented stuff since I thought that was a source of free glutamate. Is this true?
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ada, Nutrient Testing can be performed thru Life Extension. Not cheap, but 1-2 x per year they discount the cost.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests/index.htm
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dI, I considered purchasing Kefir powder at Whole Foods to make my own, but didn't because of the ingredients:
Skim milk powder, ascorbic acid, active lactic bacteria & yeasts.

Have you had any reactions with the DIY version?
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 6:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

water kefir grains can be purchased on amazon - have no idea about them - they sell others too
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 8:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding using hair testing to detect heavy metals -- look up Andy Cutler's work.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page