Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Eating Out in Mexico

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Eating Out in Mexico « Previous Next »

AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 10:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to Mexico soon and staying at an all inclusive resort. I'm going to eat mostly fresh fruit and vegetables and bring my own salad dressing and snacks. I will likely try what Deb recommends at restaurants which is ordering food plain with no salt or seasoning of any kind (and sending it back if I taste anything salty). The good news is that freshly made salsa and guacamole is safe, and that's my favorite part about Mexican food anyway. And I'll probably eat just plain eggs for breakfast. If anyone has any tips on eating out in Mexico please let me know. From what I can tell, it is just as bad as the US regarding MSG if not worse.

I am learning about the different translations for MSG. So far I have:

glutamato monosódico (also glutamato sódico) / monosodium glutamate
GMS / MSG
goya sazón
E621
proteína hidrolizada / hydrolyzed protein
extracto de levadura / yeast extract

If anyone knows of any more please let me know!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 7:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you eat fresh product in Mexico do you have to be careful about the water it is washed in? I've never been there, just wondering. Have a great trip!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 3:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got sick from the water in Mexico, but that was many years ago. Maybe things are better now.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 5:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I know not to drink the tap water. And yes Di, you're right... when I used to go to Mexico as a child we did not eat things like lettuce as to avoid consuming too much water. But now I'm banking on eating mostly salads so... not sure what to do at this point. :-) My immune system is really strong so I'm not really worried too much about germs and bacteria. I guess my top concern is avoiding MSG.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 5:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification: I didn't drink water directly from the tap. I had it indirectly through my food when I ate out. Still, it was enough to make me sick. It didn't take much.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mom goes to Mexico for a month every year. They no longer eat salads there because twice they have gotten sick even in a place that is supposed to be safe, but they go very low budget so that experience might not transfer. I wouldn't risk it at random restaurants but at an all-inclusive resort catering to Americans you probably will be OK. Usually, they will specify that salads are washed with filtered water, or you can ask. Also look at reviews on the net for the the place you are staying and see if anyone else got sick.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page