Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG & IBS

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » MSG & IBS « Previous Next »

AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 4:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found many people on here have cured their IBS by eliminating neurotoxins such as MSG, and I have a friend that I'd like to put on Deb's test diet to see if her IBS improves.

However I'm wondering if anyone has any information about grains and sugar as related to IBS. For example there's the SDC diet for intestinal health (http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/beginners-guide/). It suggests gelatin and saccharine--ewe. But I'm really curious to hear if anyone was able to get over IBS solely through avoiding neurotoxins or if they had to also cut out grains, starch and sugar (including fruits).

Thanks ;)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 9:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ada, i improved my ibs so much excluding msg and all other neurotoxins, but it was never completely reversed. The final piece in the jigsaw for me has been omitting all grains and sugar (for the most part) . One thing i would say is that you need to be sure you really want to eliminate grains long term. I tried it for a few weeks and was delighted with the results, but now can tolerate no wheat at all. Just a small amount will cause me an ibs flare up and hives. Ive spoken to many people that have found the same. The other thing i found was i lost a lot of weight very quickly cutting out grains and sugar. I'm slight anyway so this wasn't something i was aiming to do. My weight did stabalize after a few weeks. The up side is i feel amazing. My energy levels have improved so much, i sleep better and it has curbed my appetite. I eat at meal times and have no cravings in between. The down side is i am very skinny. Im currently looking at paleo eating to see can i gain a little weight back. I find this way of eating is suiting me very well for the most part.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much Ali for your thoughtful response. When you say no grains or sugar--does this include grains such as rice or are you talking about gluten specifically? And does sugar include fruits high in natural sugar?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 1:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ada, im talking about gluten grains. I still eat rice. Id be lost without rice!! I still eat fruit too. Not in huge quantities though, no more than two pieces a day. I also juice every day, which i have found takes all the worry about getting my "five a day" as they say. I find juicing is great for upping energy levels. In place of sugar i do use honey in my green tea. I know it is still essentially sugar but i dont seem to suffer any ill effects from it. Hope this helps Ada.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page