Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Finding a Cheese

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Finding a Cheese « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 69.151.64.197
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2013 - 6:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost all the cheese I've found contains enzymes, some even specifying whether it's vegetable or microbial enzymes. Are these a danger? What about rennet? In addition, I haven't found a chedder (my favorite) without annatto. How does annatto get spiked with msg? Do some brands with annatto have no msg? What does a safe cheese's ingredient list look like? I don't think I can live without cheese.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2013 - 1:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thumbs down on cheese. For one thing it gets you into the dopamine trap. Plus a bunch of other bad stuff.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 7:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not done any research on annatto. I do best with milk cheeses like mozzarella and jack and colby jack, which does have some annatto coloring. The the more aged cheeses will, of course contain more glutamate. Some of us do okay with cheese and those who are more sensitive cannot eat it or do so very moderately. Whole milk versions are better.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 2:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We eat a ton of cheese here as we are not as sensitive as some. We do fine with most non-aged brick cheeses. For cheddar I usually stick with the youngest I find, just in case. Around here, Organic Valley makes a raw cheddar that is white. I also buy Tillamook.

I don't think Annatto has direct MSG but I do think I saw a reaction to it once. But that was a while back, so it could have been another ingredient I wasn't yet aware of, or it could be something else in annatto.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry, what is the dopamine trap? We have been trying to increase dopamine lately.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 4:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Alan Goldhamer explains the dopamine trap. The video is long but good. It might be one of the most important videos you will ever listen to.

Avoid: dairy, salt, oil, sugar, flour
Also msg and aspartame should be added to the list. And wheat and corn and soy.

"Alan Goldhamer - Escaping the Dietary Pleasure Trap 2006"
66 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOZngOT34Q

Dairy is also pro-tumor.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I've added it to my todo list.
Anonymous

Posted From: 99.114.191.245
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not about to give up dairy, salt, oil, sugar, or flour.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 3:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At one time I would have said the same, but I felt so awful that I have changed the things that I eat. Instead of the items you mentioned, I consume almond milk, sea salt, organic unrefined coconut oil or virgin olive oil, limited organic sugar, almond flour and many, many other substitutes.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 11:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almond milk is almond, which is largely fat, which is solid oil.
Sea salt is salt.
Organic unrefined coconut oil and virgin olive oil are oil.
Organic sugar is sugar.
Almond flour is flour.
Substitutes are not necessary.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 8:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almond milk is good if you are need to watch cholesterol or are dairy intolerant...much better than soy milk. It's high in nutrients and has protein. Sea salt does contain more minerals, but only a tiny amount, and if using regular salt, you are ingesting alginate, which contains some glutamate. But right, salt is mostly salt. Organic sugar is better than refined sugar which can have sulfur residues. I like stevia. Some people who react to gluten do better with substitutes for some grains. I made some pancakes with almond flour and had tons of energy and didn't get hungry for several hours. Sure is expensive, though!
nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 4:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry, I substitue with these products because my body has reactions to wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc.
Deb, what kind/brand of stevia do you bake with? I haven't found one that works well for me. I order almond flour online from Honeyville to make my bread that I make once a week with just 1 1/2 cups of the almond flour so it lasts a long time. I simply substitute because I have to in order to feel as well as I can.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done okay with Now brand, Wisdom of the Ancients brand and a couple others, as long as all they are is pure stevia without fillers. In the cake I often make from our book (Chocolate Magic Cake), I use 1 cup cane sugar and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of stevia powder, depending on the sweetness I desire. It normally calls for 2 cups of sugar. I find baking with stevia alone makes a texture that is not very cake-like.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I avoid wheat, corn, dairy, soy, and I don't substitute.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 6:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, thanks for the information.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Watch out for substituting high amounts of almond (and of course soy) for anything as they are high oxalate (not just greens which I never realized). I was cooking with almond flour, quinoa, and a bunch of other high ox foods and my joint pain became awful. It's not a good toxin to risk overloading your system with. See lowoxalate.info
Anonymous

Posted From: 69.151.64.8
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 2:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, what on earth is "alginate?" I don't think there's any way I can avoid regular salt altogether.

@Nana I have no reactions to the food I eat, and I can't afford to substitute everything. However, I do want to eliminate msg if possible for the sake of being healthier. Unless there's specifically a msg or similar problem with a certain food I eat, I'd rather not cut it out if possible.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 4:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alginate is a water absorbent from seaweed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alginic_acid
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is also used in the materials dentists use to make molds of your teeth / mouth
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as far as cheese goes, I definitely reacted to Kraft and to sharp and medium store brand cheese

I have done okay with Tillamook cojack and jack (but definitely react to Tillamook ice cream - the brand isn't what it was when I was a kid)

I have also done okay with Kerrygold Dubliner (that you look for in the imported cheese area in the deli department at least that is the case for the 2 stores I shop at)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 10:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara,

I would react to the carrageenan Tillamook adds as a thickener and avoid ice cream and other products that contain it.

http://www.tillamook.com/products/Ice-Cream/Vanilla-Bean-76.html
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 6:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure we had a reaction to alginate once, though one data point was enough to avoid it but not to decide conclusively. We always react to carrageenan -- it's on my top 5 offender's list. (I once asked Jack Samuels why it was on his "maybe" list, and he says everyone he knows reacts to it, but he wasn't able to prove conclusively that it contained FGA).

For ice cream, if you don't react to guar and such gums, Haagen Dazs, a few flavors of Breyers (look for "Ice Cream" instead of "Frozen Dairy Dessert"), and Alden's have been well-tolerated in our house. But of course, check the ingredients for yourself (I had an entire week of migraines when Breyer's changed their black raspberry formulation, ugh!)
Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara,
I can tolerate the Kerrygold Dubliner also and I react to much more than most people.
Dutchbabiesx2
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 5:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

want to add, my son does not react to some of the old hard cheese;
Gruyere
Aged Gouda

BUT he reacted to a cheese that had a Parmesan base. We had not given him any Parm nor anything containing it since we cleaned his diet. He reacted very quickly to it, fasted reaction we've seen. 6 hours after eating it he started with his typical symptoms!

he does not react to any other cow milk 'clean' products.
We stay away from mass produced cheese (like the chedders) but regularly eat Jarlsberg cheese, Gouda, Havarti, and some soft cheeses from Switzerland.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page