Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Alcohol/Wine interacts with FGA?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Alcohol/Wine interacts with FGA? « Previous Next »

LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 8:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a practical (not just on paper) interaction between alcohol or wine and free glutamic acid reactions. Or more specifically, an after-effect when the alcohol is gone.

It would make sense, since alcohol acts like or stimulates GABA which might (from some reading I've done) stimulate glutamate release.

My current theory is that alcohol the night before makes tiny amounts of FGA ingestion much worse the next day for me. (Migraines). The reason I say this is that I did an unscientific experiment for a few days...the only time I had any reaction to the wine was after eating out -- pretty carefully, except I had two bites of my friend's mashed potatoes which had whipping cream in them. The reaction seemed worse from the wine, but it could have been some hidden FGA in my own food.

Any experiences?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 9:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS, Yes, I noticed I cannot tolerate a particular homemade vinegarette if I drink wine. I am positive of this as it has happened about 15 times. I just figured the grapes used in the wine (maybe sprayed with Auxigro or something) put me over the edge. I didn't figure it was actually the alcohol content, but maybe.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 11:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wine has sulfites, and makes me ill even in small amounts. And sulfites do make me more susceptible to FGA. I substitute with sake (not plum flavored!) & do ok with it.

Jennifer
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 4:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found an organic wine i do fine with so maybe organic is an option? I can't tolerate US wine at all and have varying degrees of reactions to other world wines. If i cant get organic wine i generally try for German and do okay....
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there are two things going on -- I think the sulfites in the wine (even organic, apparently, though it is less) must combine badly with glutamate, but I also wonder about alcohol itself. But, I seem to be able to tolerate a little wine, OR carefully eating out (I think some glutamates slip through), but not both.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 12:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im not sure about the alcohol, but i always assumed the wine issue to be due to sulfites as im sensitive to sulfites. I have read somewhere (i cant think where as it was a long time ago) that German wine is lower in sulfites.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 5:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At Whole Foods I recently found a wine that said "no detectable sulfites" and tried it - can't say it did any obvious harm. I forget which brand, but when I went back I noticed they had a few that were sulfite free. I tried a different one and it didn't seem to sit as well with me.

Alcohol is a GABA agonist, meaning it mimics GABA in the brain. Which in the short term causes the pleasant side effects of alcohol.

However, when it wears off, now not only is there no longer a GABA-mimicking drug in your brain, but in order to prevent a GABA overload your brain has stopped producing GABA in any sort of useful quantity. I believe that's why it can be very dangerous for a chronic 24/7 drunk to suddenly quit....sort of the same reason why one shouldn't suddenly stop steroid drugs.

Jennifer
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 2:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to buy an organic wine, it claimed no sulfites added, and hardly any detectable. brand was Frey. It didn't bother me, but it didn't taste super good either.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page