Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Silk almond milk

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Silk almond milk « Previous Next »

cheryla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I been using the dark chocolate variety - does anyone know anything about that? I am trying to figure out if that is what is affecting me or if it is something else.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 1:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cheryla,
The ingredients don't look problematic to me, but I wouldn't rule it out yet. I'd keep a food diary to narrow down the culprit.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=698927&storeId=10052&langId=-1
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 8:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make sure it's not a variety with Carrageenan in it -- sometimes the formulation will vary. Also it could be the Gellan gum. I seem to remember being suspicious of it after an odd reaction in the past.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 2:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gellan gum is produced by fermentation of an algae. It was the one ingredient responsible for my saying not to rule out the almond milk as a culprit.

http://www.moleculargastronomynetwork.com/19-additives/Gellan-Gum.html
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 10:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would avoid this product, and I suspect it could be the cause for a reaction...gels often contain glutamate...algae does, so be cautious. It's easy to make almond milk from scratch. Put 1 cup of slivered, blanched or whole almonds (need a good blender for whole ones)in a blender with 4 cups of water, a pinch of salt and a pinch of stevia or cane sugar, if desired. I also add a little vanilla (1/4 t.). Puree for 2 to 3 minutes. The thick gritty part of the liquid will eventually sink to the bottom of your pitcher. Some people strain the milk and add the more solid part to cakes and cookies as part of the flour. I just stir it up and drink it...don't mind the little grit.
cheryla1
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 1:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all - I suspect you are correct. I did not have any today and seem to be fine. Too bad, I am supposed to stay away from dairy and soy is bad for me - causes reactions too.
I will give Deb's recipe a try.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 2:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cheryla, we use Rice Dream rice milk that is sold by the case at Costco (self stable). I don't drink a lot of it but I use it in all my baking/cooking. I haven't had a reaction from it.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 5:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a hemp milk for my sister that doesn't have either carrageenan or gellan gum. Haven't tried it though.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 8:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soy and soy products are extremely high in glutamate, Cheryl. Most processed dairy products are rich in additives that are also high in glutamate, in the form of thickeners and flavor enhancers (dry milk and whey solids, carrageenan, hydrolyzed vegetable gums, etc.).
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 8:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of us do fine with Organic Valley whole milk, but react to low fat regular varieties of milk that use dry milk and dry whey to pump up the flavor and viscosity.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 6:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And soy is sooo GMO!
Anonymous

Posted From: 70.215.193.34
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 5:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I first began having msg-like reactions after i switched to Silk Almond milk, from cow milk. I didnt react the first time i drank it, but i believe the chemical, or chemicals built up overtime in my body, till some other msg containing product put me over the top. Overexposure.

At first, i wasnt aware msg was even IN the product since, of course, it was not mentioned in the ingredient list. I first targeted the culprit as being...... "natural flavor". Then i realized that "natural flavor" is now in almost every food product. Next, i learned that " natural flavor" is a word that can be used to hide msg....The government allows up to 20% msg in "natural flavor".

Also, i learned the myriad of other chemicals in " natural flavor" are also toxic, and that there are so many varieties of natural flavor with a myriad of different chemicals in each, with each one varying in chemical composition, so i can never tell which "flavor" im reacting to. This leaves me dissapointed and a tad angry at manufacturers and lable laws and add campaigns convincing us that " no artificial flavors" is a good thing, even when it means they are replaced by " natural flavors"! ( now add to that all the other ways to hide msg in products)

I also learned that the amount of "natural flavor" in our food supply has been increasing quite a bit recently....and then i read the same fact stated about msg!

So, im trying to suggest that natural flavor could be the culprit instead of gellan gum...though it could be both....and no, i wouldnt overlook that almond milk as the culprit!

im still not sure if im reacting to msg or to the other chemicals in "natural flavors". As for the Silk Almond Milk, i quit drinking it. (I wish i could just drink dairy milk, but ive been having problems with dairy, and i dont want to get sick)... And i WAS able to find an almond milk with no natural flavors....but it does have gellan gum and other suspicious looking thickeners in it. Im using "365" brand organic unsweetened almond milk, purchased from Whole Foods.

I havent had a major reaction since switching, but ive rid my pantry of the more certain hidden msg, and labled the front of everything with a black marking pen saying " natural flavors" so i wont eat it. My family still wants to eat some of that stuff.
.......So, which change stopped the major reactions i wonder?

Additionally, im wondering if im still having at least minor reactions to the new version of my morning almond milk. I have cereal and "milk" every morning, as ive done all my life.

I also read that ultra-pasturized milk has msg, created in that pasturization process. We had been drinking ultra pasturized organic milk, and then when i couldnt drink it anymore, i started mixing silk almond milk and ultra-pasturized goat milk. This is when my problems began. I am suspicious that the ultrapasturized milks partly caused my intolerance to the dairy milk, as well. Now i cant even digest the goat milk well any more...but there may be other contributing factors as well. I wish i never bought that organic milk though! Maybe if i hadnt, i wouldnt have dairy intolerence or problems with msg....maybe. A warning to anyone drinking ultra pasturized milk. I found my info about ultra pasturization by googling "ultra pasturized milk msg" or something like that, and following links in blogs ect.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page