Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Any safe beef broths?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Any safe beef broths? « Previous Next »

Ruthie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 11:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I love this site and Debbie's book. I bought it and don't have time to make my own broths! Sometimes I do, but somtimes, I need to buy something ready-made. Is there anything out there that is safe??
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 11:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im in europe, but we have one brand of stock cubes that i do okay with by tesco. Their own budget brand. Cant recall the ingredients to hand but they are the only ones ive found without yeast extract and natural flavourings.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 1:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read the ingredients first. There is apparently more than one tesco brand of stock cubes:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253881542
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 3:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeast extract and maltodextrin. Not perfect, but probably lower in FGA than some (most?). How much can you squish into a bitty cube anyway? By definition the creation of stock creates FGA. Doesn't even have to be added back or have ingredients that increase it. Slow cooking with water hydrolyzes protein. Whether it bothers you or not is a function of what you personally, can handle without noticing. That said, we all know that damage can take place even when we do not have obvious symptoms. (Which is painfully clear to me at the moment, as I enter week two of my elemental formula treatment for damage from food allergies. On the upside - I am feeling great! A little hungry :-) But otherwise great.)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 5:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn, enough to cause trouble. I'd never use them.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 6:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

evelyn, All I've read says yeast extract is just like MSG - maltodextrin perhaps slightly better.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb's daughter uses Pacific Natural Foods Organic Chicken Broth with no reactions.

A quick way for me to make broth is to buy safe chicken backs, thighs or wings at the store, then put them in a crock pot just before bed. I add extra bits of onions, celery and carrots from the freezer. I place it on low and strain it in the morning when I wake up. Good luck!
cheryla1
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Kitchen Basics with no adverse reactions.
I could never make gravy from scratch but have gotten quite good lately. I also have a wheat sensitivity so I use gluten free flour when I make gravy.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 2:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EmilyS, if a food item is simply labeled "organic" rather than "100% organic" they are allowed to use autolyzed yeast extract in it. The ingredients of Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth are:

Organic chicken broth (filtered water, organic chicken)
Organic chicken flavor
Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth Natural chicken flavor (chicken broth, salt)
Organic evaporated cane juice
Autolyzed yeast extract
Organic onion powder
Turmeric
Organic flavor

http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/broths

As for Kitchen Basics, I wonder about the ingredients in ingredients such as "chicken flavor".

http://www.kitchenbasics.net/display.cfm?p=69&pp=16&ppp=3
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 9:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ingredients of Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range regular (not low sodium) Chicken Broth are:

Organic chicken broth (filtered water, organic chicken)
Organic chicken flavor (organic chicken flavor, sea salt)
Natural chicken flavor (chicken stock, salt)
Sea salt
Organic evaporated cane juice
Organic onion powder
Turmeric
Organic flavor

Again, not labeled "100% organic", and with the vague flavors.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 7:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Roy, I personally can't eat any packaged broths. But Deb's daughter has a pretty strong reaction to MSG and she claims she doesn't have any reactions to the Pacific Natural Foods organic broth. I just wanted to throw that one out as an option that someone has had luck with over the years.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love the crockpot idea, Emily! If a person can peel an onion and boil water, they can make broth very easily. In a large, oven proof pot or roasting pan, place 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of chicken legs, thighs, or wings, along with 2 or 3 large yellow onions, 4 ribs of celery, and 4 carrots...all roughly cut up. Peel the onions and carrots, first, unless carrots are organic. Drizzle with a little sunflower or mild olive oil, and salt and pepper. Roast at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until edges of veggies and meat are golden brown. Remove from oven and add water to cover the items in the pot and simmer for another half hour to 1 hour on the range on low heat or until meat starts to fall off the bone. Parsley, more salt and pepper may be added to the simmering pot. Turn off heat and let cool. Strain liquid into a bowl and refrigerate. Some people like to save the veggies to puree or add to soups. Freeze in quart bag. Remove meat from bones and freeze to use in soups or casseroles. When liquid is cooled, you can remove some of the fat, if desired. Ladle the liquid into freezer bags, freeze, and use for gravy or soup base when needed. I like to make a richer Thanksgiving gravy by doing this the week before and adding some of the chicken broth to my turkey drippings. If I don't do that, I just simmer the turkey neck and giblets (not liver) in water for half an hour or so, with some onion and celery, and use that liquid instead.
Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I previously used for years Nature Valley beef and chicken broth in cans. Either just before or just after that they were brought out by Hains Celestial Nature Valley brought out their broths also in containers like milk containers with different ingredients from the cans, major FGA ingredients.
Hains Celestial then made changes in the labeling of the canned broths as well so the new content was unclear on the label.
I entered into email corespondence with them and got several weasel-word replies with vague answers to my specific questions on the contents. The answers were always of the general variety- Hains uses only the best ingredients and we would never put anything in our products that would harm you but we won't tell you what is in our products.
I decided that I wouldn't ever buy them again.It's too bad because I bought them by the case for years from Whole Foods as they were the only brand of commercial soup I could tolerate.
Their assumption that I was so dumb their replies would fool me made me mad and made me feel so bad for those would be fooled by them and get sick from their greed.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 2:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike and I were in Costco a few days ago, and I remarked about how many young obese couples there were...he said he was thinking the same thing. We also noticed that many had a pallid complexion with dark circles under their eyes. I was just sad as I looked at their cases of top ramen and other processed foods. Please take real care to avoid suspicious tempting treats this holiday. Make lots of veggie sides you can enjoy and other treats to eat. If you must go to someone's party, eat first and stick to what you know is safe. It's never worth days of feeling terrible and regretful...been there!
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb. As you say, it's not worth being sick for a couple of days because of foods.
Thank you for sharing this broth receipe. I have the same problem with broths. Can't buy anymore of these on the shelves. There was only one I could buy and I used to buy a lot (!!) because I was using it in roasts, pots, soups, etc. The ingredients were organic and no 'free glutamate' ingredient was added. Now the co. has changed the packaging and - oh surprise - the ingredients. Now it contains natural flavors and other ingredients containing free glutamate. I had to stop buying it and was wondering how I can make it myself and, more importantly, how to preserve it until I want to use it.
As if no company could do healthy broths anymore!! Pfff!
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 4:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pacific organic vegetable broth :-)
use it with beef/chicken/veggies
use it for everything
soups-gravy and warm it
Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbey,
The Pacific organic vegetable broth you recommended lists garlic in the ingredients on the website. Garlic is high in FGA. If I used it for anything, let alone everything, I would be very sick and miserable for many days.
Recognising that we are all sensitive at different levels please stay on the board so we can work together to help each other.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 5:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting Hoteru that you react to garlic and we all respond at different levels.

I am highly sensitive but I use garlic several times a week with no reactions. I don't know if it makes a difference but I use garlic I grow myself or cloves from the grocery store (never bottled or packaged).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page