Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Please help me ask the correct questions

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Please help me ask the correct questions « Previous Next »

Stacey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 12:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received this email and gentleman does not believe his product contains MSG. I believe it does and want to clarify but want to ask the right questions. Any suggestions on everything I should address?

As a small dairy, we take great pride in providing the freshest dairy products possible. With that said, let me assure you that in no way do we add "Monosodium Glutamate" to our yogurt. My fiance Jaclynne wouldn't be able to eat our yogurt if we did, since she is very allergic to MSG. Jaclynne eats our fruit yogurt daily.
The base that we use for our yogurt is a high quality, REAL FRUIT base. We searched long and hard to find a fruit base that was both safe to use and used high quality ingredients. It is important to me that my products last more than two or three days in the fridge, (as fresh fruit yogurts mold very quickly without an added preservative, and would be impossible for my customers to sell) and so I decided to locate a safe, high quality, real fruit base for my yogurts.
My one trouble about our base is that there is a small amount of dye in the base for color. I have been speaking to the manufacturer for some time now about getting the dye taken out of the base, and ironically we are actually making some progress on that front. Since we are a small dairy, it is difficult for us to order custom product from large manufacturers in small quantities and keep costs down, but if everything goes right, we won't have to use the base with dye much longer. The ingredients for the ALL NATURAL base, however, are identical to the base we currently use, minus the dye!
Here are the specifications for the ingredients in each individual fruit flavor we offer.
STRAWBERRY: Strawberries, Water, Cane Sugar, Corn Starch, Strawberry Flavor with other natural flavors, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative) and artificial color.
RASPBERRY: Raspberries, Water, Cane Sugar, Corn Starch, Raspberry Flavor with other natural flavors, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative) and artificial color.
PEACH: Peaches, Water, Cane Sugar, Corn Starch, Peach Flavor with other natural flavors, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Annatto, and artificial color.
BLUEBERRY: Blueberries, Water, Cane Sugar, Corn Starch, Blueberry flavor with other natural flavors, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative) and artificial color.
If you'd like me to break down the less commonly known ingredients as well:
Citric Acid is a weak, organic acid used as a food preservative.
Potassium Sorbate is the Potassium Salt from Sorbic Acid, a natural organic compound used as a food preservative. It prevents the growth of mold and yeast in our yogurts.
For our customers who prefer to customize their own yogurts we recommend either the plain or vanilla yogurt.
Again, we are extremely proud to be offering high quality, dairy products. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding any of our products please let us know.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's clear to me that the man hasn't a clue what is in his products and doesn't lose any sleep over it. His main interest seems to be making them cheaply and promoting them as high quality so he can turn a profit. I'd find another brand to consume.
http://www.vegsource.com/articles/natural.flavors.htm
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 4:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

corn starch and citric acid contain free-glutamic residue, as well as most likely being a GMO (because almost all corn is)..... and natural flavors, well who knows what's in that catch-all phrase. I agree with Roy, and I think the guy either doesn't know or doesn't really care what is in his product and is just interested in profits.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 11:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He is correct in saying his product doesn't contain MSG...that's where semantics come it to play. Pure MSG is rarely added to yogurt, meaning the factory made salt of free glutamic acid that is 78% free glutamate. However, what most people don't understand, is that it is the free glutamate in additives like citric acid, dry milk solids, "natural flavor", and corn starch that do contain some free glutamate in smaller amounts than pure MSG. But even these amounts can cause problems for the sensitive individual. These additives are highly processed, often hydrolyzed from food sources rich in glutamate like milk, corn, wheat, soy beans, etc. Consequently, the natural glutamate becomes free glutamate, the same harmful component of MSG. And one product can contain several of these free glutamate rich additives.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 6:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aaaand, just to throw one more thing into the whole mix-
my ASD son & i both react badly to Sorbate/Sorbitol/Sorbic Acid in any form. he gets spazzy & oppositional + his facial allergies act up (itching, rubbing until red, sniffing, throat clearing etc) and i get stomach cramps &/or same type facial response (depending on the type of sorbic whatever)
just one more thing to steer far clear of!
Stacey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 9:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. So I should always say free glutamic acid, right? Still learning :-)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 2:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stacey, the trouble that I've found with asking if something contains "free glutamic acid" is that they don't really know what it is, what it is in, or what creates it. You may have to give them the list of about 40 ingredients to stay away from, or better yet, ask for the ingredients to peruse yourself.
Stacey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 8:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Di, the local produce guy asked him for the list and this is what he got. I guess I need to now ask what are the ingredients in the ingredients. Tried to explain FGA to the produce guy and he still thinks the yogurt is clean because of the statement the creamery made about his wife being highly allergie to MSG. I didn't think there was a true test for that. Am I wrong? Hope you have a great weekend.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 6:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be tempted to learn how to make my own yogurt. Might be less frustrating.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 7:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ha ha, i like that "...i guess i need to ask what are the ingredients in the ingredients" :-) SO TRUE!

ive followed Deb's recipe for home made yogurt before, its surprisingly easy - only thing tho is it has to be eaten pretty quickly, it tends to spoil within just a few days (... hinting that storebought yogurts might have 'off-label' preservatives of some kind? sorta makes you wonder)

altho, my family hasnt had any problems with Trader Joes plain whole milk "creamline" or their organic version, or with Strauss or Brown Cow whole milk/creamline yogurts. i believe one or more of those do have pectin added but evidently thats not an ingredient to trouble my family. however the modified cornstarch or carrageenan or cellulose in lots of lower quality yogurts will do us in every time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page