Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Coconut products ok? (milk, oil, crea...

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Coconut products ok? (milk, oil, cream) « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 60.231.45.205
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd just like to know if coconut products are ok? Milk, oil and cream.
Stacey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The canned coconut milk I had on hand I threw away (not safe) forget the brand name (green can typicaly sold at Whole Foods and health food stores). Visit tropicaltraditions.com for clean coconut oil and coconut cream concentrate. I love their products and have used their lotions, lip balms, oils... for years (long before I figured out the MSG stuff) http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_cream_concentrate.htm
Stacey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 5:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think mine had either guar gum or carrageenan (the first things I starting connecting with my issues). You can make your own homemade coconut milk that would be safe.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 8:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stacey... homemade coconut milk- mmm, sounds delicious! would you mind sharing your recipe?

anon, i would think that if you can find a product that is JUST coconut milk or cream it should be safe. i buy Trader Joe's canned coconut milk for use in cooking. it has no additives, & so far seems to be well tolerated by everyone in my family.

unfortunately, most brands do have thickeners etc, even at the "healthy" stores... i would especially steer far clear of the ultra processed cartons on the chiller shelf (SO Delicious, etc)- too yummy to be real & inevitably loaded with Carrageenan which is just toxic to sensitive systems.
Stacey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 5:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/04/homemade-coconut-milk.html

Here's the old fashioned method, LOL although I do like her grinder tool :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRbVl7uLjw&feature=related
I use an old 1940's waring blender and love it. Blows todays blenders away. I do use the big screen colander (for almond milk too) prior to the cheese cloth or flour sack. Much easier than squeezing first round.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 6:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just made a non-dairy ice cream tonight with rice milk, coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions, sugar, arrowroot powder and vanilla. Then made a dairy free/egg free chocolate chip cookie and froze the dough in chunks, then mixed in the cookie dough when the ice cream was almost finished.

The coconut cream added a nice creaminess to the ice cream and some great flavor. My lactose intolerant neighbor gave it two thumbs up. My 3yr. old preferred the cookie dough and ice cream to be eaten separately as the combination was too weird for her. I really enjoyed it.

Still trying to come up with more ways to use the coconut cream but this dessert I really liked.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page